Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Range Hood Selection

Posted by sunnyinseattle (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 0:11

I'm a brand new member and this is my first posting--please be gentle :-)

Looking for help with selecting the best bang for our buck. We're renovating our kitchen and are getting a 36" Thermador Gas Cooktop (Model: SGSX365FS).
There will be a 36" cabinet above the range and we will be venting to the outside.

It's not clear to me what would be a minimum cfm for the hood given our range. Any advice/product recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Range Hood Selection

As a general rule of thumb,not iron clad building code,you want 1 cfm per 100 btu.

In your case I would look at something in the 600-700 cfm range.

Some local building codes require something called make-up air(MUA) past a certain limit of CFM.It requires you bring in fresh air from the outside to balance the air being exhasted. If that is the case you may want to get something at your local limit because it can get expensive.

A lot of trade people buy recommend Broan/Best by Broan. American company sells some cheap stuff made in China/Eastern Europe and some better stuff made in Italy.

Broan also has a cheap MUA unit that is compatible with their hoods and meets most building code specifications that require MUA. Might be a way to get a more powerfull hood on the cheap if you have local MUA codes.

A good bang for the buck hood is Kobe. Japanese company product made in Taiwan. Another good range hood comapny is Zephyr, a Korean company that makes its hoods in Korea.

There are some generic Chinese made hoods with really good specifications but questionable quality.

American made hoods tend to fall into either the bargain basement stuff made with Chinese parts that are not much better than the generic/Chinese brands or the Ultra Premium hand made hoods. These are very $$$.

o

Thanks deeageaux for the information! Extremely helpful!

o

Very helpful post. I've been hood shopping too, and that info is very useful. THank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here