Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally started!

Posted by lwerner (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 0:10

I haven't been around much lately since asking for some layout advice back in the spring. But I just had to share that my project is FINALLY STARTED! The revised plans got submitted a few days ago, I signed the contract yesterday, and the permits are supposed to be ready on the 30th.

So far, the contrator is doing what he can without a permit: lead and asbestos removal, some site prep, utility disconnection application, and so on. The house currently has no windows and no kitchen or bathroom tile, because the window sashes and tile glazing had lead in them. (The house was built in 1949.)

I learned something new about toxic material removal. Even though the whole place is going to be demolished down to the subfloor and foundation, the city requires all the lead and asbestos to be removed first and taken to a special dump. My contractor showed me one house where they had to take all the siding off piece by piece and bag up each board separately to be hauled away. I'm not sure if that's a California thing or just a Bay Area thing. I do know we have to get permission from the "air quality management district" to start the demolition since there were asbestos and lead present. I never would have expected that!

For those who don't remember -- it's been so long I hardly remember at this point -- this is roughly what my kitchen / dining / great room area is going to look like. The opening at the upper right leads to the rest of the house. The countertop is just a placeholder that I stole from cloud_swift. But I do love the way hers looks with cherry, so I'll have to see if the budget allows it.

From Kitchen plans

On the subject of budgets, I'm learning how crazy they can get, especially when unexpected items like lead removal or new sewer laterals crop up. I'm very lucky that I started at my company before our IPO; otherwise I don't think I could afford all the budget creep that's happened. I might be losing some of my financial cushion and ability to retire early. But if I retired early I'd be bored out of my mind anyway, so I decided not to care too much. :-)

Thanks for all the kitchen design help last spring / summer. I'm sure I'll be around with more questions as things progress.

Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally started!

So exciting!
So much work
Those budgets expand to meet every new challenge!
Will be watching your progress!
Congrats on starting!
Can't wait to see it brought to life!

o

So exciting!
So much work
Those budgets expand to meet every new challenge!
Will be watching your progress!
Congrats on starting!
Can't wait to see it brought to life!

o

Congrats on getting started. Hope the project goes well!

I think that rendering of your kitchen looks darling! It seems like a looker AND a cooker!

o

Thanks, guys!

The nice kitchen is mostly thanks to folks here on the forum. The original layout my architect came up with was pretty bad. It had the sink in the corner, the fridge on the left wall (miles from the pantry), the ovens on the left wall too, .... This is much more functional.

Laura

o

Exciting - will be watching - mostly from my iPhone - and tend not to comment when on iPhone as much as when on the computer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here