Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Resource Direct?

Posted by raee (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 0:06

Hi, I've been researching different cabinets sources, and while strongly considering CliqStudios, I came across Kitchen Resource Direct which has the Deerfield cabinet line (shipped assembled). Prices seem comparable to Cliq, there seems to be a little bit more flexibility in width choices, and they are made in the USA. Has anyone ever heard of them, or have any experience with?

I am still wavering between ordering online cabinets or having a local cabinetmaker. Ordering would save me about $1000. I still need to settle on a contractor to handle things like installation (if I order) plus the other aspects of the remodel like wall repair, coordination of floor, electric etc.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the decisions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Resource Direct?

nobody at all familiar with this company?

o

I'm also looking for reviews of them. We ordered a sample door and it came quickly with very professional packing and paperwork if that is any help. THey also have no BBB complaints.

o

How was the door quality? Was it a painted finish?

o

Stained finish, with darker stain in the recesses. We ended up ordering our cabinets from them and installed last week. Delivery took a week longer then expected and didn't feel like we had the greatest communication once they shipped as to when they would be delivered BUT that could have been DH's fault. I left all that up to him as I was very busy at work the past month and he is not the best at communication!!
Very happy with the cabinets. Made a mistake and should have added an upper in my original order so now need to order one more upper and am choking on the shipping cost (was free first order).
Going to pick out granite this afternoon and will post pics when all done. (Actually figured out how to post one now so did)

o

Thanks for the update--love your floor/ceiling!

I ordered a sample too, but wasn't impressed with the finish although the construction seemed okay. It was a painted door and the finish was rather rough to the touch with visible tiny bubbles in the paint. Have been debating whether to take a chance anyway, for the sake of saving $$.
Haven't yet called them to inquire about the defects in the sample -- just think if they think that is good enough to send out as an example of their work, then most likely the actual product will have similar flaws in the finish.

The CliqStudios samples, on the other hand, were perfect.

o

Another update, we just noticed the other day that one drawer front is wrong, the larger bottom drawer is flat rather than raised. You can see the flat one in this pic and a bit of the correct raised style next to it. We called Friday and after sending a picture they are sending a replacement. DH talked to them so don't know how long they said it would take, hope it is quick!

o

I did speak to someone there about what I consider flaws in the sample finish. He said that I had to account for the fact that wood will have flaws, but I pointed out to him that it is a painted finish, other samples from other companies are glass smooth, and this looks/feels like either poor sanding, poor cleanup after sanding, and/or poor painting technique (with tiny tiny bubbles along the edge of the inset panel). So he asked me to send the sample back with a post-it pointing out the problem areas. I will do that.

Am I being unreasonably picky about the finish, though? If I were doing the painting, I don't know if I could do better, but I expect better from a factory finish, based on samples I have and what I've seen in the big box stores.

o

I don't think you are being too picky! Painted surface should be totally smooth and definitely no bubbles. Will be interesting how they react to the things you point out, hopefully they won't say those are normal.

o

Well, if they do, then they have lost the sale!

I would like to use them based on USA manufacture, larger range of sizes and also, I like the antique white color that they have. But, if the finish quality can't match, then too bad, it is Cliq for me.

o

I like your granite. What is the name of it? I am also remodeling kitchen now. Just got cabinets unloaded, will get installed after new year.

o

The granite is Inca Gold with a leather finish. We saw it in our local stone place (Denali Granite in WA). It must be known as something else since I can't find it via google. It was just installed 2 days ago and we love it! Now to pick a backsplash!

o

Just to update, Kitchen Resource Direct did send me a new sample on which the painted finish is much better. Also, I learned that they are not the manufacturer, but the distributor.

o

From what I can tell KRD also sells 6 square cabinets as their Sanibel line. They distribute a number of lines from RTA to 6 square to another line. Tried to figure out who makes their Deerfield line and I believe they source the components from Walzcraft, which looks to be a very good cabinet door manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walzcraft

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here