Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Kitchen Resource Direct?

Hi, I've been researching different cabinets sources, and while strongly considering CliqStudios, I came across Kitchen Resource Direct which has the Deerfield cabinet line (shipped assembled). Prices seem comparable to Cliq, there seems to be a little bit more flexibility in width choices, and they are made in the USA. Has anyone ever heard of them, or have any experience with?

I am still wavering between ordering online cabinets or having a local cabinetmaker. Ordering would save me about $1000. I still need to settle on a contractor to handle things like installation (if I order) plus the other aspects of the remodel like wall repair, coordination of floor, electric etc.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by the decisions!

Comments (36)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nobody at all familiar with this company?

• cfrizz
    11 years ago

I'm also looking for reviews of them. We ordered a sample door and it came quickly with very professional packing and paperwork if that is any help. THey also have no BBB complaints.

Original Author
    11 years ago

How was the door quality? Was it a painted finish?

• cfrizz
    11 years ago

Stained finish, with darker stain in the recesses. We ended up ordering our cabinets from them and installed last week. Delivery took a week longer then expected and didn't feel like we had the greatest communication once they shipped as to when they would be delivered BUT that could have been DH's fault. I left all that up to him as I was very busy at work the past month and he is not the best at communication!!
    Very happy with the cabinets. Made a mistake and should have added an upper in my original order so now need to order one more upper and am choking on the shipping cost (was free first order).
    Going to pick out granite this afternoon and will post pics when all done. (Actually figured out how to post one now so did)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update--love your floor/ceiling!

I ordered a sample too, but wasn't impressed with the finish although the construction seemed okay. It was a painted door and the finish was rather rough to the touch with visible tiny bubbles in the paint. Have been debating whether to take a chance anyway, for the sake of saving $$.
    Haven't yet called them to inquire about the defects in the sample -- just think if they think that is good enough to send out as an example of their work, then most likely the actual product will have similar flaws in the finish.

The CliqStudios samples, on the other hand, were perfect.

• cfrizz
    11 years ago

Another update, we just noticed the other day that one drawer front is wrong, the larger bottom drawer is flat rather than raised. You can see the flat one in this pic and a bit of the correct raised style next to it. We called Friday and after sending a picture they are sending a replacement. DH talked to them so don't know how long they said it would take, hope it is quick!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I did speak to someone there about what I consider flaws in the sample finish. He said that I had to account for the fact that wood will have flaws, but I pointed out to him that it is a painted finish, other samples from other companies are glass smooth, and this looks/feels like either poor sanding, poor cleanup after sanding, and/or poor painting technique (with tiny tiny bubbles along the edge of the inset panel). So he asked me to send the sample back with a post-it pointing out the problem areas. I will do that.

Am I being unreasonably picky about the finish, though? If I were doing the painting, I don't know if I could do better, but I expect better from a factory finish, based on samples I have and what I've seen in the big box stores.

• cfrizz
    11 years ago

I don't think you are being too picky! Painted surface should be totally smooth and definitely no bubbles. Will be interesting how they react to the things you point out, hopefully they won't say those are normal.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, if they do, then they have lost the sale!

I would like to use them based on USA manufacture, larger range of sizes and also, I like the antique white color that they have. But, if the finish quality can't match, then too bad, it is Cliq for me.

• mononoke1
    11 years ago

I like your granite. What is the name of it? I am also remodeling kitchen now. Just got cabinets unloaded, will get installed after new year.

• cfrizz
    11 years ago

The granite is Inca Gold with a leather finish. We saw it in our local stone place (Denali Granite in WA). It must be known as something else since I can't find it via google. It was just installed 2 days ago and we love it! Now to pick a backsplash!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to update, Kitchen Resource Direct did send me a new sample on which the painted finish is much better. Also, I learned that they are not the manufacturer, but the distributor.

• DIYJohn
    11 years ago

From what I can tell KRD also sells 6 square cabinets as their Sanibel line. They distribute a number of lines from RTA to 6 square to another line. Tried to figure out who makes their Deerfield line and I believe they source the components from Walzcraft, which looks to be a very good cabinet door manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walzcraft

• pharmagirl31
    9 years ago

I read all of the reviews for these Deerfield cabinets sold by Kitchen Resource Direct before I bought and all were positive, but now I question who wrote those reviews. I took a leap of faith and purchased these for my kitchen remodel based on these reviews, but probably would have gotten the same or better quality from Ikea or a big box store. Although these could be somewhat modified which is why I chose them, the quality is far from good. All of the cabinets came with slight damage to the outside boxes and quality was lacking; cabinet doors did not close fully, one of the cabinet backs was deeper than the specs causing the skin to bow as it was applied to the back of the cabinet, the drawer boxes were rough and did not appear sanded in many places with chunks missing from the wood, the crown molding was made 1/16" off and the pieces could not be put together around the corners, causing me to have to buy new crown molding from a box store to install instead, one of the drawers came without any soft close hinges installed, which is to be a standard, and any additional shipment of items will cost you big time. Also, when they were delivered, the driver refused to unload the cabinets from the truck, which was supposed to be part of the shipping guarantee, and made my contractor and his team unload his truck, which they did as a favor to me. That was completely embarrassing. The only good thing I can add is these were delivered quickly but that probably is why the quality is lacking. I chose this instead of a higher quality custom cabinet from a reputable online cabinet maker because it was faster and i didnt want to assemble the cabinets, but I should have stuck with my gut and chose quality over cost and time. I cant even say I got a bargain for these cabinets as I easily spent over $15K on these cabinets and think any stock cabinet would have been just as good. Such a shame as the reviews were all positive, and I have never written a review in my life, but felt compelled for this reason to put a review out there that spoke to the real quality.

• jennybc
    9 years ago

Always check local, small places... You can get surprised on the good pricing. My cliq studios sample came with paint runs. In my head if they can't send a good sample what will happen if its a drawer front, door etc. I passed.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Import crapola. What do you expect?

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting your reviews of KRD, we looked at them and Cliq, I was surprised at the price when I finally did get a estimate. If I would have been looking to spend 15K -19K I would have just purchased the Showplace cabinets (LOVE THESE) or some other well known brand.
    We did not go with Cliq or KRD, I thought they were too expensive. We did go with theRTAstore, after numerous orders of samples, I found a finish that fits my "inspiration" kitchen theme and my budget!! :) I have been beating the heck out of the samples to see how they hold up...so far so good. Spent about the same as I would have at IKEA, so about 1/2 what the other estimates were. DH will need to put the cabinets together, but he does not mind. It can be a painful process picking out cabinets!

Original Author
    9 years ago

As the OP, I want to say that after doing more research I decided against both Cliq and KRD. I didn't think that KRD had the quality control; and I thought that Ikea, Barker, and Conestoga all offered better value within my budget than Cliq. As many regulars here know, in the end I had my cabinets made by a local cabinet maker who fell in the same price range as Barker would have.

• Ann zag
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I purchased cabinets from kitchen resources direct one year ago and have first hand experience with both new and now one year later cabinets. The cabinets are without a doubt at best fair quality. The customer service and designers were wonderful. The draws are pretty good although the runners on each side do create a problem on one cabinets. The problem really is obvious with the doors and box or base . They are simply real poor quality. Many of the doors were warped so they did not hang properly, many of the boxes were warped as well and doors pitted on the outside. The seams wherever they had joints were obvious. There was something wrong with almost every single cabinet. The box or cabinet base were all and I do mean all of them were warped and a few you could see glue seeping

Out if seam.

If your interested in quality don't go there or you may regret it in the long run. Also the reviews are controlled as I tried to put one on the website on houzz and they did not publish so you will only see mostly positive ones . I am so sorry I purchased them. The low price was so tempting and I do regret having bought them. If your looking for less expensive, ikea is probably better. I did purchase already assembled cabinets. I cannot speak for the others. Please believe me they are junk. Do not believe all the reviews. I wonder where on earth they came from.

• PRO
    Cabinets.com
    8 years ago

Hi Ann,

We tried to contact you last week to address each issue, but haven’t received a reply yet. Houzz controls all reviews that are submitted online and they have a lengthy review process to verify the validity of the review before posting. We do not have any control of the reviews that are posted, and appreciate all feedback – positive or negative.

It appears from your completed claim, we replaced 7 drawers, 5 cabinet doors, as well as a new wall cabinet. We were deeply sorry for the inconvenience these errors had caused you, and were willing to replace your damaged or defective items.

Since 2013, when your order was placed, we have taken great strides to ensure improvement in quality of both doors and box construction. It is common to see excess glue on the back of the cabinet box (not visible against the wall), as we use more than the required amount to ensure strength. Your cabinets have a Limited Lifetime Warranty so feel free to contact Claims to see about replacing some of the items you are still dissatisfied with.

Thank You,
    Cabinets.com

• deevila1
    8 years ago

Just got my Deerfield kitchen cabinets from cabinets. Com. They are well made and beautiful. They haven't been installed yet but my installer is quite impressed with them. Seems cabinets.com must have made great strides in improving their quality control. Also, the JB Hunt delivery guys were great...very professional, accomodating and fast. I'm very happy with my painted cabinets!

• shellstarr03
    8 years ago

My KRD cabinets were installed more than one year ago by a contractor. I ordered cherry cabinets, the Deerfield line already assembled. I will attempt to upload photos and critiques.

First, I would like to say I love my kitchen!!! Second, the designer at KRD was very responsive, helpful and professional. The cabinet under the cooktop had certain specs and the original cabinet that was shipped did not meet the spec in my opinion. I communicated my concerns with the designer and suggested a solution, which they accepted. They shipped the replacement at no cost to me.

probably my biggest complaint is the depth of the smaller drawers. While they hold most utensils fine, they don't accommodate things like ladles and potato mashers.

What do you think?

• shellstarr03
    8 years ago

Before and after ( these are the same cabinets in different lighting):

• miromar8
    8 years ago

I have ordered doors from both CliqStudios and Cabinets.com. There is absolutely no comparison between the two mfgrs. CliqStudios door inserts were not made of wood. They are a composite product and quite cheap. The paint quality is also lacking. However, the door samples from Cabinets.com were all solid wood, of much better quality and the paint was like glass. Cabinets.com are cabinets of a much higher quality than CliqStudios in my opinion.

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

I made a mistake to buy this Deerfield assembled kitchen cabinets. They came with a lot of problems. The quality is not there. Nice doors but absolutely horrible inside for both looks and function. I also think their reviews can’t be real customers. They lure you into purchase is by saying this is something 40% off retail when in fact they are the same as any strip mall cabinet choice. You will get no discount. in fact I feel that we grossly overpaid for this product what it really is. Quality control is nonexistent at this company and if you buy be prepared to experience poor design, flaws (a lot of them), and a long wait if you need an additional part or replacement door. I wish I didn’t buy these cabinets. We made a lot of mistakes during this remodel, this was the biggest mistake. These cabinets done look like they can last at all. We consumers are too dumb to buy based on a nice designer answering phone and based on the wooden door sample. it is what it is and I will have to accept them and live with them. American quality has slipped big time in favor of profits.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio thanked Monika Agic
  • Bobby A
    5 years ago

@Monika Agic - We are considering deerfield. Can you show some of your problems when you say horrible inside for both looks and function? Thanks.

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

@Bobby no last name go ahead and buy and you will see for yourself.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Monika, I am glad that you are willing to share your experience and disappointment with this cabinet line (which I did not buy, BTW). It would help other people wondering about it, though, if you would take a few moments to be specific by what you mean by poor design and the flaws that make it "horrible for looks and function". Is the finish peeling, or rough? do the shelves sit crooked or warped?

Not doubting you in the least, just think the more detail the more help to others. Thanks!

• Bobby A
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Agree - Saying go head buy and see for your self doesn't help anyone. We are still in the process of deciding as I have been traveling for work and just too busy.

• deevila1
    5 years ago

@Monika Agic I assure you I am a real customer. Nobody paid me to say anything. If I had to do it again, I would only change the the color. I bought white and they need constant cleaning. Other than that, I am very happy with the quality

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

Okay perhaps I just got unlucky with a bad shift at the factory. In my opinion cabinets are poor value and misrepresented big time. I still can’t believe I spent that much money online on a product I didn’t see in person. At this point I just have to make peace with my mistakes ordering them.

• Bobby A
    5 years ago

@Monika - Can you please describe more the problems? I only have sample door to go with and that looks fine. But then a sample door doesn't tell the whole story. Me personally when I review anything I clearly say the positives as well as the negatives. Pictures also help.

• Monika Agic
    5 years ago

@Bobby A

a lot of parts are made of mdf even though they will not tell you. Drill through the face of your door sample to see what it is. Also all toe kicks all side skins and even separation between bottom part of the cabinet and drawer is mdf. It’s made realistic with picture of wood on one side and painted other side. You won’t know what is in the sandwich unless you cut or drill. Then it’s obvious.

Shelves are many times nonexistent or for example you get half shelve in the over the fridge cabinet. Very useful! If you try to move shelves they chip because of the plastic holders that prop them on both sides. There was also delamination on the shelves which I glued back up. The plywood that makes the boxes is soft and cabinets are light. The drawers are built well but the top drawer is less then 3” deep. Inside the drawers there was dropped glue which I scraped off. There is a lot of seepage of silicone at the bottom of the upper cabinets. Etc etc. These cabinets are nothing special and you won’t save money by buying online. Their 40% or 25% off is just a marketing ploy. You will oberpay for what you end up getting and you won’t be able to return because those are their terms and conditions.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio thanked Monika Agic
  • Bobby A
    5 years ago

Thanks for the details. Really appreciate it. I do know the central part of the door is mdf. Most cabinets, even when they say all wood, the central part is mdf. I don't understand how the top drawer is only 3" deep? It this for all the deerfield cabinets?

• HU-505667896
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone who shared their honest reviews! It was very helpful not to select cabinet.com because of the poor consistent reviews and I learned that I don’t want the headache. I rather pay more for the peaceful process

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH