Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Furniture feet on cabinets

kathec
13 years ago

I want feet on my cabinets. My cabinet style is VERY traditional and I think this will lend a nice detail to finish it off. I've just started sourcing and found some feet at Osbourne. I haven't checked local upholstery or millwork places yet. I think Rockler carries some and so does Van Dykes.

Has anyone added these yourself? If so, where did you buy them and how difficult was it to install these? And of course the most important question, do you have pictures : )?

Comments (13)

• theresse
    13 years ago

My kitchen's very traditional but it's also very craftsman and so therefore, feet wouldn't have been on the cabinets back then. That said, I loved the look so much that I had my contractor cut out some feet himself (very inexpensive) and I put them only under the part of the lower cabinets (which includes sink) that had to be bumped out to accommodate the depth of a dishwasher; until now, our 1913 house has never had a dishwasher! So in other words I'm going with the whole "furniture look" because that part sticks out into the kitchen more so it kind of completes the look/concept. At that time they wouldn't have had round feet (that was more Victorian) so I made them look like the feet of many of the hoosier cabinets I've seen from that period. I was worried the furniture look/feet would be a passing trend so I only did it at the bump-out (I'm always so worried about fads/trends - to the degree that I'm no fun!) and went all the way to the floor elsewhere since that's how it probably was originally - if there was anything there at all besides a stand-alone sink. I won't show you a pic because I feel like I'm polluting the "airways" with my current pictures (unfinished kitchen) too much as it is!!! ;) Plus my feet are very simple. Almost rectangular only with a slight curve outward on the inside of each one.

OMG I'm hopeless! Such a narcissist! Clearly I love to hear myself talk (sorry for writing so much)!!!!

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresse, you're not talking to much!

I think the one thing we all have in common is that we're totally obsessed.

I feel like I keep asking these weird random detail questions whenever the thought passes through my head LOL! I don't know many people in my area, so I can't see really great kitchens in person. Those few I do know have the same 20 year old basic builder oak that I just pulled out. So, I feel like this is the only source to use as a sounding board, for the how does this look, work, etc.

I've already learned so much on this board and I hope I contribute in some small way. I'm sure you feel the same.

I don't have the same constraints for period as you do for your historic house. It's a fine line between keeping it style for the house and your personal taste. I like the feet in your kitchen. I think it was a great choice.

In my kitchen, I don't have to worry about preserving a historical home. My house was built in 1990. A typical builder tract house that is the 90's builder idea of a colonial or Georgian. So anything under the "traditional" umbrella works. To be perfectly honest, the previous kitchen was just so bad, ANYTHING is an improvement. My biggest constraint is budget. My kitchen cabs and counters were a steal, so I feel like a can spend a little extra on those details that will make it really special.

And as for me, if we met in person, I'd probably be too shy to say much, but boy my writing can go on, and on....

Here's my cabinet style:

• theresse
    13 years ago

Oh, thank you for being so sweet! Your cabinets are gorgeous! I would definitely do something more ornate - for sure! I couldn't guess where to get them though but someone's sure to chime in any time now! :)

• theresse
    13 years ago

My kitchen's very traditional but it's also very craftsman and so therefore, feet wouldn't have been on the cabinets back then. That said, I loved the look so much that I had my contractor cut out some feet himself (very inexpensive) and I put them only under the part of the lower cabinets (which includes sink) that had to be bumped out to accommodate the depth of a dishwasher; until now, our 1913 house has never had a dishwasher! So in other words I'm going with the whole "furniture look" because that part sticks out into the kitchen more so it kind of completes the look/concept. At that time they wouldn't have had round feet (that was more Victorian) so I made them look like the feet of many of the hoosier cabinets I've seen from that period. I was worried the furniture look/feet would be a passing trend so I only did it at the bump-out (I'm always so worried about fads/trends - to the degree that I'm no fun!) and went all the way to the floor elsewhere since that's how it probably was originally - if there was anything there at all besides a stand-alone sink. I won't show you a pic because I feel like I'm polluting the "airways" with my current pictures (unfinished kitchen) too much as it is!!! ;) Plus my feet are very simple. Almost rectangular only with a slight curve outward on the inside of each one.

OMG I'm hopeless! Such a narcissist! Clearly I love to hear myself talk (sorry for writing so much)!!!!

• theresse
    13 years ago

Oh dear! I just signed on for the first time since last night and when I backspaced for some reason it re-posted! I'm really sorry about that... There should be a delete option/editing option. It's crazy that there isn't - but as we all know...this site (much as we love and depend on it) needs work!!

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I absolutely LOVE furniture feet! I did ogee feet on the cabinets flanking my range and sink base. They are also on the end of my baking station on my island. I also did them on my built in hutch in my kitchen.
    On my butler's pantry built in I just went with a decorative valance across the bottom.
    I also had my cabinet maker add them to my master bath vanity.
    All ogee feet are not the same and the ones on my bath vanity are plain. I had a more decorative ogee used for my kitchen.
    I also did bun feet on the cabinet on the base cabinet next to my refrigerator. The bun feet were an afterthought.
    After my cabinets were installed, I thought the cabinet next to the refrigerator looked plain so I ordered the bun feet from the manufacturer stained to match the rest of the cabinet.
    I have spool feet on the sink base in my laundry room.
    I could do furniture feet everywhere!
    If you look at my pics you will see a variety of the feet I have used.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Someone on this board said a very wise thing: fashion, smashion -- if YOU love it, then do it!

We're updating our very '90's kitchen. Sometimes, I feel guilty for splurging on our house like this. But we plan to live here at least another 10 years. Why shouldn't we make it a space that we love? We can afford it, so we're going for it!

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! I've been flip flopping between the bun feet and ogee or valance, sigh. So many choices.

I wish I could spend, I've got a wish list a mile long thanks to this board, but ours is a low budget reno. My main pieces have all been budget friendly, mostly serendipitous finds. TG for craigslist LOL. But, I was thinking it would be ok to spend money on the high impact details. The things that make the kitchen look like a million bucks, but in reality only cost a couple of hundred.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

As a designer, I like the look of feet on cabinets as well. It's one of those details that really shout out loud. But as someone who has to clean an entire showroom of cabinets smashed full of all of those details that people are considering, I have to tell you that I HATE cleaning around feet of any kind. They become a spot that's hard to get the dust from, impossible to mop, and they get nicked up as a result. The best solution that I've seen on this board (and one I've stolen for many clients! LOL!) is to use industrial strength velcro to attach the feet so that they are removable for cleaning. This isn't always possible to do "cleanly" though, so check into how this might look before you commit to the idea.

• kathec
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, thanks live wire oak. That's definitely something I haven't considered. I do have 2 beagles who shed seasonally. It seems they only shed the white hairs LOL.

Anyway, if I do go this route, I'm going to seriously consider that industrial strength velcro.

• pondlily
    13 years ago

I LOVE this look! especially that beautiful copper sink,michellemarie!I'm getting natural cherry shaker style cabinets, very simple, but I want to add some details and was thinking of furniture feet on the sink cab. Do you think that would clash with the shaker style? We also plan on a small marble slab for baking with an 18 inch cab below, so I need some supports under that, corbel like maybe.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous. I don't know if you can do this with full overlay doors, but in our last house we made feet for all the cabinets by applying an "apron" to the face of the cabinets. Basically it was a hardwood 1" thick board of the right height to overlap the bottom of the face frame. I drew the "feet" on it and the carpenter cut them out with a jigsaw, and used an ogee router along the top of the board, then attached them at the bottom as feet. They were on the special areas -- bump out sink, stove, etc., and all long the bottom with the feet where it seemed right to put them. I did not have any trouble cleaning under them, true it took just a little extra work but not too much.

I'm sorry, I still have not learned to post photos and anyway due to a computer crash all I have left is a couple photos in an email my niece sent me. We don't live in that house anymore. If you want me to email you the photo I can.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Ours were free: we cut them out of extra cabinet wood with a jigsaw, finished them on all sides, and clamped/glued them on. We used Benjamin Moore's Aura paint in flat matte black to paint the toekicks, and the whole thing worked out rather well.

I do echo Live_Wire_Oak's caution about dings and dust, however, in the case of fixed feet. The vacuum can do a number on them, and I've had to touch mine up several times since installing them a few years ago.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio