Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Owners of frameless full overlay cabs - Q?I am not happy...

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago

I got some of my cabinets installed today and I don't like the gap between the some of the upper doors? It's seems big and I can see the color inside the cabinet which is grey - outside is walnut.

What should be the gap between the upper cabs doors? I think it should be minimal and the the doors should be very close to each other with almost zero gap.

I am so disappointed...and sad...:(

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• numbersjunkie
    10 years ago

Can u post pictures? I have frameless full overlay and never noticed gaps. Maybe the doors haven't been adjusted yet?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Hopefully they're just waiting till everything is in to adjust the doors.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am hoping for that too - the job is not done yet. Will talk to the cabinet maker tomorrow.

I was reading that 1/16 is a good size gap or 3/32'' not 1/4 or 1/8 as some people use as a standard - thank you both!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

My frameless full overlay also have almost zero gap. I definitely cannot see the color inside the cabinets, and my cabinets are dark cherry with a very light birch interior, so they would be easy to see.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Like Angela above, my dark cherry cabs have a light birch interior. They are a plain shaker style. There is NO hint of light wood or of the objects on the shelves showing between the doors. Just a very narrow dark line between them. I'd say 1/32 of an inch or so.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

My brother has full overlay and his doors are quite tight. I certainly don't see any cabinet interior from the outside. I know someone else who bought some cabinets (probably from Lowes) and there's a flap on the inside of one cabinet door to cover the gap. I would be highly irritated by such a flap because then you have to close one door before the other and can't open the flap door by itself. So I do believe you can get doors close together with no/minimal visible gap, but maybe not all cabinet makers and/or installers do it. I think it's very reasonable to ask your cabinet installer about it. Hopefully it's just a door adjustment as was suggested.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Euro hinges are very adjustable and one of the ways they adjust is to cover the gap you're seeing. It takes a little time with a screwdriver, but is easily fixed. ;-)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Our GC heard this concern all the time, so he learned to warn his clients on the day that installation started that everything would be adjusted.

That being said, I can see a tiny bit of a few shelves. He said he could put a strip of wood veneer on the edge of the shelf. It's actually a tape. I was going to have that done, but after a short while, you stop noticing those minor things.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! They said they'll adjust them - I feel better now.
    Now going through the cabinet hardware hell...what to pick?