Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deggleston_gw

Help with color choice for glass pendant globes

deggleston
9 years ago

My wife and I just renovated our kitchen. New white bead board style cabinets, quartz Cambria Torquay countertops, and Rixi Reef backsplash. The walls are painted Barren Plain, a neutral color suggested by the Cambria website.

We want to add more color by using colorful glass globes on our handing pendants. However, we are having trouble finding a color that matches the Rixi Reef tile. My wife leans towards bright colors. Any suggestions?

Comments (23)

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture?

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope this helps. Lighting is always tricky - difficult to capture colors.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Everything else looks completely neutral so I think you can go any way you want with your globes. Do you have other accessories that will be displayed in your kitchen that you want to repeat...a bright yellow cookie jar, red canisters, etc.?

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope this helps. Lighting is always tricky - difficult to capture colors.

{{!gwi}}

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The choices at this point in terms of accessories are wide open. We had attempted to find colors that closely match the Rixi Reef tile (a light, blue-ish, crackle tile with shades of tan tones), but thatâÂÂs proving to be a challenge. Instead, should we concentrate on creating âÂÂsplashes of colorâ with accessories and then pick a pair of globes that coincide with the accessory colors?

Thanks

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Coincidently I just found your post on page 2 and have spent the last 20 minutes on Lightingdirect.

What I'm finding is most of the glass globe pendants are very modern looking, and I don't think that works with your country beadboard, marble-look counter, and crackle tile. I tried to focus on shapes that looked traditional but not grandmotherly. I like both shapes of your examples. I don't think you can throw any old color in with your traditional elements. I thought the tile was green and looked at all their greens. Orange is a popular accent color with gray, and the tile looks a little gray-green. But all their solid colors are so bright. How bright does she want to go?

A close-up of the tile would help.

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've attached a close up photos the tiles. Hope this helps.

We both tend to favor shade of reds vs. orange. Will this work with our tiles?

• rightdi_gw
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with any color since the rest of your kitchen is so neutral. I think you are on the right track, pick the splash of color you like, and use your pendants as a highlight of that color!

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Still looking. I don't think the turquoise works, so I passed by that type in other colors. I think color on a white glass might be a good direction, but fat chance finding something. Thinking a cylinder shape might be a good choice since it's a little more traditional.

I'll throw out for consideration the mini schoolhouse pendants made by Schoolhouse Electric in Portland OR, just because it suits your kitchen. It's only 6"--very sweet. Choice of shade shapes, size, and color as well as rod finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schoolhouse Electric

• Gracie
    9 years ago

This is kind of fun. I have no idea if it works. If you give a shout-out to Oldbat2be, she might photoshop them in for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightingdirect

• romy718
    9 years ago

I LOVE the blue stripe Schoolhouse Electric one, even more than the one I am posting by Rejuvenation, "George." It comes in a bunch of colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

• romy718
    9 years ago

Pretty in the clear shade also . I think the Schoolhouse blue stripe would be perfect with your kitchen style.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Romy, Rejuvenation started out in Portland selling old house parts, so they and Schoolhouse have similar things. I always check them for lighting too.

When I copied the glass circle light from Lightingdirect, it blew up in size and I can see now it looks a bit Bohemian.

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We like the options, especially the blue light in the pic posted by romy718 but can't find it under "George" by Rejuvenation. Are missing something?

Thanks for all your help.

• romy718
    9 years ago

The blue pendant is described on Houzz is Mercury Glass. I found a similar pendant by Rejuvenation. They have a line of lighting that are refitted vintage pieces/shades. I would contact their customer service department.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mercury Glass pendant

• deggleston
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Mercury Glass looks interesting, but it seems like the pendants are costly ($1,600 on one website). I do like the look. Also noticed several sites that offer DIY Mercury Glass (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux mercury Glass Tutorial in any color

• romy718
    9 years ago

I found one vintage mercury glass blue shade on eBay for $950.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay listing

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 8:11

• romy718
    9 years ago

Not mercury glass but this one is on various websites.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Just came across these, Jamie Young St Charles Mercury Glass Pendant. Also comes in a clear glass in bright aqua blue & celadon. The mercury glass in silver is very pretty.

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

What about this one from Waterworks in the blue?

Here is a link that might be useful: blue light

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I love mercury glass. The mercury glass pendants posted are beautiful but so expensive. If you are inclined, there are DIY instructions online for taking clear glass and making it mercury glass. I believe you tape off the outside, flick water on the inside, and spray with mirror paint - but don't rely on me, definitely look it up.

I would test that treatment on the cheapest clear glass pendant you can find to see if it works, and if it does, buy the clear glass pendants you like and do it to them. It should work out way cheaper than some of these $900+ options. But then, I'm on the frugal side :)

• Gracie
    9 years ago

After looking at hundreds of pendants, I am convinced that lighting is not the place to make a color statement, especially in a traditionally-styled kitchen. I like the white one in your first post and didn't see any glass pendants that I loved more. I saw a few I liked but the cost!! For just one!