Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkass_gw

Need cabinet advice for nightmare situation

dkass
15 years ago

A 6 week remodel now finds us at week 7 with the job at a standstill. The cabinet company hired by our contractor had a partner dispute and is going out of business. We have all of the lower cabinets (minus doors and shelves) and some uppers. Question: If we have to start with a new cabinet maker, does anyone know if the doors, drawers and shelves (assuming standard sizes) are pre-made and would therefore would be available for us quickly? We are using a natural cherry wood. I ask because originally we were told that the cabinets took 6 weeks to get from the date of ordering them. I can't wait 6 more weeks for this! Nothing is happening and we still need to get granite templated and installed, backsplash installed, all appliances including sinks installed, etc. etc.

Ahh!

Comments (7)

• kompy
    15 years ago

Maybe one of the cabinet-maker pros here can comment.

But, as a KD (dealer) I would guess this: It is my understanding, at least with the cabinetmakers in my area, that most order their doors and drawer fronts from a door manufacturer. They just build the boxes. So, I doubt that your sizes are sitting somewhere on a shelf. Still, it might not take too long to get the doors. Can you find out if they ordered the doors from a factory or made their own?

Kompy

• Buehl
    15 years ago

You might check places like Rev-A-Shelf or Häfele for some inserts for your cabinets. They have pull out shelves and other cabinet/drawer organizational items. It's worth a shot at any rate!

http://www.hafele.com/us/index.htm

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/

There are other vendors as well, I just can't think of them right now.

Sites like OvisOnline, KitchenSource, TrashCansAndMore, LeeValley, CabinetParts, ShelvesThatSlide, etc. all sell Häfele, Rev-A-Shelf, and/or other vendors.

As to doors/drawer fronts, if all else fails check out Scherr's Cabinet & Doors. I know many folks who buy IKEA go to Scherr's for doors & drawer fronts to put on their IKEA cabinet boxes. So, I know they sell doors & drawers separately. Now, whether you can match your existing cabinet box's finish, I don't know. But there are ways to do some cosmetic work on exposed cabinet faces & sides.

http://www.scherrs.com/

I suspect, though, that no matter where you go you're going to have a 6 to 8 week wait. Be patient. This is a room you're going to have to live with and work in for many years (unless you're going to turn around & sell it). Take the time now to have it done correctly, you won't regret it. A year or two from now you won't care that you had an extra several months wait b/c you'll have the kitchen you wanted...and you'll be glad you waited! [I speak from experience, btw! My 6 to 8 week remodel that started January 21 still isn't completely done!]

Good luck and I hope you find that your doors & drawer fronts are waiting for you....!

• linley1
    15 years ago

If you need to buy new doors & drawers, you might check out Maplecraft. They sell Conestoga custom cabinet doors and drawer fronts and I think their turnaround time is about two weeks. They have many different styles and you can also have them paint or stain the doors for you. There are many other custom door vendors out there but this is one that sells directly to consumers and not just to cabinetmakers.

• cabmanct
    15 years ago

As a cabinetmaker myself, I would have to agree with linley. I think thats your best bet, although if you buy the doors yourself you should not have to wait more than 3 weeks. I would not wait 6 weeks for doors. Most door companies will deliver within 3 weeks tops. If you are being told 6 weeks I would walk outside and check to see if the sky is still blue.
    Cant you threaten to sue to get your remaining cabinets and hire a cabinetmaker to install them?

• emilynewhome
    15 years ago

Our carpenter is using this company for drawer fronts and doors for our entertainment center and garage. I think it took 10 -14 days from time of order until delivery.

http://www.texasdoors.com/products/warranty.html

• dkass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses. Our contractor has "fired" the original cabinet makers and is now going to have to get his custom cabinet guy to make the doors/drawers. One good thing about hiring a GC to do the job. It will cost him more to have the custom guy do it but that is his issue. I agree it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks to get doors especially if they are standard size - I only have one cab that was custom sized. We will have to see how this plays out. Thanks again! I hope to post pictures soon.

• mcr1
    15 years ago

custom size doors should be no problem, If they are prefinished you are most likely not going to see themin 2 weeks, if they are custom finished, expect at least 2 weeks to get in unfinished doors and another week to finish them, and this is from the order date.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling