Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerator NOT on the end? Any pics?

Posted by marrilyn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 23:21

Does anyone not have their refrigerator at the end of a run? I would love to see pics. I am having a lot of trouble with placement of my frig in a galley kitchen.

I would really appreciate any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerator NOT on the end? Any pics?

The best location for a fridge is the perimeter of the kitchen, at the end. That keeps people out of your prep zone and still lets them grab a bottle of water while you're cooking.

o

Thanks, hollysprings, that makes sense.

Is it a big "no-no" to do it elsewhere? Would it break all kinds of design rules and offend everyone's design sensibility?

o

Th bottom line is that only you know what will work best in your kitchen - but the design guidelines (not really rules) are generally used because they make sense in most situations.

Can you post a layout? What do you want to put at the end of the run? Why do you want the fridge elsewhere?

o

Thanks, hollysprings, that makes sense.

Is it a big "no-no" to do it elsewhere? Would it break all kinds of design rules and offend everyone's design sensibility?

o

In my current kitchen the builder broke the design rule and it offends my design sensibility by not only placing it in the middle of my kitchen but almost the focal point of the room. It's not the only reason we're remodeling the kitchen but it is definitely a contributing factor.

Why don't you post your plan and see if anyone has a solution to what may or may not be a problem.

o

I don't know how it will work out, but I'm moving frige from a corner to a small wall between kitchen and DR. The new frige will be surrounded by pull-out pantries on each side.

In this picture, you can see current location.

o

Sorry to post a 2nd time, but this is the small wall where new frige will go. I've been transferring pictures to Flickr, but need my s/o to help with the technical stuff.

With the frige in current place, I cannot pull out left drawer to clean. It limited my choices when looking for a replacement.

Demo starts next week, so hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of new cabinets and appliances.

o

My frig used to be in the middle of a run (bottom of a 14'-wide U-shaped kitchen), right next to the MW/oven combo (pantry closet was on the left of the frig). In my remodel, I moved it to the left about 3 feet (end of that run where the pantry closet had been), not because I didn't like the old location, but I needed to make space to put my range (cooktop used to be on a very narrow island and I didn't want it there for safety reasons, and I wanted a bigger/plain island w/ seating).

o

I don't. (But i also can't post pics)

I have - doorway to DR, 2' of pantry, 36' CD fridge, 7" pull-out broom closet, 16" of counter/cabinets, doorway to DR.

This post was edited by blfenton on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:42

o

Mine's not on the end for several reasons. Basically, it just made sense for the work triangle. Also, the eat in nook is across form the end of the run so having it there would interfere with the table and eating area. I guess it depends on the size and layout of the room and what you are doing with it. For us, this made the most sense. Here's a pic.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

• Posted by ctycdm 10b/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 14:54

We have a fairly small kitchen, (very small by GW standards) 10'x10'-6" and our refrigerator is pretty much dead center on the wall, with a counter next to it for landing space, which to me is more important than anything. It works perfectly for us, and would be very inconvenient in our situation way over in the corner. I don't believe there is a hard rule that it needs to be on the end in every kitchen, hellonasty's photo is a good example as well.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 15:13

o

Mine is not quite at the end, like "hellonasty'. For the same reason as well, to put it at the end would interfere with the eating area. It is also right across from the prep sink on the island. This shot shows it in relation to the full run.

photo P71701431280x960_zpsddacf326.jpg

o

I love the pictures of the refrigerators not quite at the end with enclosures to look built-in. My refrigerator is not at the end but it is not counter-depth and I may sell the Stainless Steel with water on the door French Door LG with full disclosure at a good price for a stainless steel counter-depth Jenn-air or Kitchen-Aid (with water inside) after my tax deadline ends as my kitchen table is in front of the refrigerator and it still needs more clearance if I have company over and I open the leaves in the small table to accommodate 4 people. I also have a middle insert to accommodate 6 people but I have yet to have that many people over. Also despite fixing the refrigerator twice this month and only being 6.75 years of age, I had enough of the two major repairs in one month and almost having two fires in my home. It now has a new relay switch (I paid almost $300 for plust $250 in throwing out groceries for both repairs as the refrigerator became 72 degrees) and a new mother board and a new housing for the lamps (LG repaired yesterday under their forced class action suit warranty for unfit for use with knowledge lawsuit in 2010)s o it looks new as I am single and kept it in great shape. It is keeping everything cold today so I have to think about this but I am so disappointed in this LG refrigerator and not sure if I want to live with it anymore. I may have a buyer as one of my clients who is a friend emailed me that he will be willing to buy it at a good price since it is now fixed.

I will post pictures if I get the new refrigerator. Pictures with my the current refrigerator or on my former computer and I will not be able to transfer the pictures until after my tax deadline on October 15th as LG has me so behind due to the stress they caused me.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 22:19

o

Thanks so much for these replies! I will attempt to post pics along with details of my dilemma soon. It helps to see thee pictures and hear opinions.

o

Marrilyn, we are looking forward to pictures and details of your dilemma soon so we can try to help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here