Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a rectangular kitchen sink "passe??

Posted by thew60 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 22:57

I am updating my kitchen with granite counters and new appliances. My original plans were for a nice "D" sink with a pulldown faucet in the corner. After a huge search for faucets and settling a a few that I liked, I THEN measured my counter to wall cabinet clearance and was dismayed to see it was a mere 16 inches. (a thick mud job to level the kitchen during full renovation was the culprit. Moving cabinets not an option. Any pull out and pull down faucets were in the 14-15 inch range and would leave only an inch or two clearance from the top of the spout. That to me seemed very cramped.

My question is this:

Is putting a very nice rectangular stainless sink rather than a "D" sink considered passe and not acceptable? The faucet selection with a side spray is endless and will work fine with the wall cabinets. Most of those spouts are no more than 12" tall. My existing Kohler Forte is 12" and looks great

I just don't want to spend thousands on an update that will look dated before its time.

Thank for the constructive comments as always.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a rectangular kitchen sink "passe??

Wow. I don't think it is passé. Sure seems to be a lot of people putting them in.

o

I am getting a rectangular sink for my new kitchen. We've seen many.

o

I think rectangular sinks are great....my single bowl is large enough for cookie sheets..and I only have a 30" base.

o

I have never heard or read anything about rectangular dinks being passe. I'm wondering why you think they may be.

No offense to those with D sinks, but I would never have one. The lack of symmetry and non-straight lines drive me a tad nuts looking at them. I adore my large, rectangular silgranit cleanup sink.

o

I sure hope not, putting in a large rectangular sink in a couple weeks. I hope this does not seem rude but, a D shaped sink always felt like it was unfinished to me.
Whereas, I can't wait to get all the elbow room in my new big baby!

Red

o

I inherited a D shaped sink in my current kitchen. When we remodel, I'm definitely going for rectangular - I'd like to be able to get my large cookie sheets in there.

o

The passé word strikes again! I prefer a rectangular sink for both form and function. But this is simply our preference that fits our style and I don't think either shape sink will be passé. This is a good example of one of the many reasons why gardenweb is such a great resource. You will find valuable contributors such as buehl who love their D shaped sinks. With cases such as this it isn't that one person's opinion is right or wrong, it is all in an individuals perspective and it is good to hear different opinions.

o

I agree, garden web is a fantastic forum for getting a lot of different opinions. As always, you all have given me some significant confidence if I have to proceed with a rectangular sink. I'm sure the end results will be gorgeous

o

Made-o-cliff, I feel that way about floating vanities - like, 'where are the legs?' LOL

o

It's true, I couldn 't sell my house because it had a rectangular sink.

Hahahaha

o

Neither one is passé. They both have their advantages, and both are very functional. Pick whichever one you like, simple as that!

o

My 30" rectangular sink is probably my favorite thing in my new kitchen. Go for what you love, that's my advice.

o

Why are some sinks D-shaped anyway? I mean, I don't care if others have them, but I don't understand why they have that shape.

o

Linelle--I wonder also. I don't see the advantages with the shape. Is the appeal just because it's different than a traditional sink shape? You can't fit as much in the sink as you could if it was rectangular.

o

It's far too functional to be passe'.

I have a 22x33 super single that I wouldn't trade for anything.

o

I used to have a D in my former kitchen. They are typically deeper front to back. When you don't have a lot of lateral space, a D shape can be helpful in using space efficiently because you get the extra inches of depth plus you can offset the faucet. That said, I love my 30" rectangular sink. I have only one sink but the length lets me prep and clean at the same time.

o

Exactly, the extra depth is in the middle and the faucet or faucets can still fit at the corners.

o

So, if I have this right, the main (only?) reason for a D-shaped sink is so you can fit a faucet in the corner? Because you have the depth if not the width?

o

It's because you can get the depth without sacrificing width *because* the faucet fits in the corner.

If you had that deep of a rectangular sink, the faucet wouldn't fit between the sink and backsplash. Or if on an island you would have to reach really far back to reach the faucet.

If you have the width and/or prefer a single sink, the larger rectangle is most functional. If you don't have the width and/or if you want a double sink, the d-shape is most functional.

o

Absolutely not. I actually prefer a rectangular sink. I think they look sleek and contemporary.

o

Is the blanco wave sink considered a d on one side? Kinda of looks like it to me . I am interested in it because I can get a bigger sink because of the raised bar hanging over and where the faucet would go .

o

The only place I would personally do a D shaped sink is in a corner sink situation where the faucet can go at the back. I did this once for a client and it looked and functioned great.

I have a single bowl, rectangular sink and I love how it looks and functions....although it IS harder to clean the squared bottom. That's the only thing I don't like about it.

o

Because of what i read on KW, I ordered the Blanco Performa rather than the Precis, because the former has rounded edges. It cost more, but I cannot see myself working hard to clean 90* edges.

o

I cannot see myself working hard to clean 90* edges.

Me either, but that's not stopping me from getting one :-)

o

Mine has rounded corners. Not as hip looking as the square corners, but super easy to clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here