Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thew60

Is a rectangular kitchen sink "passe??

thew60
10 years ago

I am updating my kitchen with granite counters and new appliances. My original plans were for a nice "D" sink with a pulldown faucet in the corner. After a huge search for faucets and settling a a few that I liked, I THEN measured my counter to wall cabinet clearance and was dismayed to see it was a mere 16 inches. (a thick mud job to level the kitchen during full renovation was the culprit. Moving cabinets not an option. Any pull out and pull down faucets were in the 14-15 inch range and would leave only an inch or two clearance from the top of the spout. That to me seemed very cramped.

My question is this:

Is putting a very nice rectangular stainless sink rather than a "D" sink considered passe and not acceptable? The faucet selection with a side spray is endless and will work fine with the wall cabinets. Most of those spouts are no more than 12" tall. My existing Kohler Forte is 12" and looks great

I just don't want to spend thousands on an update that will look dated before its time.

Thank for the constructive comments as always.

Comments (25)

• miruca
    10 years ago

Wow. I don't think it is passé. Sure seems to be a lot of people putting them in.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I am getting a rectangular sink for my new kitchen. We've seen many.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think rectangular sinks are great....my single bowl is large enough for cookie sheets..and I only have a 30" base.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

I have never heard or read anything about rectangular dinks being passe. I'm wondering why you think they may be.

No offense to those with D sinks, but I would never have one. The lack of symmetry and non-straight lines drive me a tad nuts looking at them. I adore my large, rectangular silgranit cleanup sink.

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

I sure hope not, putting in a large rectangular sink in a couple weeks. I hope this does not seem rude but, a D shaped sink always felt like it was unfinished to me.
    Whereas, I can't wait to get all the elbow room in my new big baby!

Red

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I inherited a D shaped sink in my current kitchen. When we remodel, I'm definitely going for rectangular - I'd like to be able to get my large cookie sheets in there.

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

The passé word strikes again! I prefer a rectangular sink for both form and function. But this is simply our preference that fits our style and I don't think either shape sink will be passé. This is a good example of one of the many reasons why gardenweb is such a great resource. You will find valuable contributors such as buehl who love their D shaped sinks. With cases such as this it isn't that one person's opinion is right or wrong, it is all in an individuals perspective and it is good to hear different opinions.

• thew60
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, garden web is a fantastic forum for getting a lot of different opinions. As always, you all have given me some significant confidence if I have to proceed with a rectangular sink. I'm sure the end results will be gorgeous

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Made-o-cliff, I feel that way about floating vanities - like, 'where are the legs?' LOL

• weissman
    10 years ago

It's true, I couldn 't sell my house because it had a rectangular sink.

Hahahaha

• taggie
    10 years ago

Neither one is passé. They both have their advantages, and both are very functional. Pick whichever one you like, simple as that!

• Majra
    10 years ago

My 30" rectangular sink is probably my favorite thing in my new kitchen. Go for what you love, that's my advice.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Why are some sinks D-shaped anyway? I mean, I don't care if others have them, but I don't understand why they have that shape.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Linelle--I wonder also. I don't see the advantages with the shape. Is the appeal just because it's different than a traditional sink shape? You can't fit as much in the sink as you could if it was rectangular.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

It's far too functional to be passe'.

I have a 22x33 super single that I wouldn't trade for anything.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

I used to have a D in my former kitchen. They are typically deeper front to back. When you don't have a lot of lateral space, a D shape can be helpful in using space efficiently because you get the extra inches of depth plus you can offset the faucet. That said, I love my 30" rectangular sink. I have only one sink but the length lets me prep and clean at the same time.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Exactly, the extra depth is in the middle and the faucet or faucets can still fit at the corners.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

So, if I have this right, the main (only?) reason for a D-shaped sink is so you can fit a faucet in the corner? Because you have the depth if not the width?

• taggie
    10 years ago

It's because you can get the depth without sacrificing width *because* the faucet fits in the corner.

If you had that deep of a rectangular sink, the faucet wouldn't fit between the sink and backsplash. Or if on an island you would have to reach really far back to reach the faucet.

If you have the width and/or prefer a single sink, the larger rectangle is most functional. If you don't have the width and/or if you want a double sink, the d-shape is most functional.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Absolutely not. I actually prefer a rectangular sink. I think they look sleek and contemporary.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

Is the blanco wave sink considered a d on one side? Kinda of looks like it to me . I am interested in it because I can get a bigger sink because of the raised bar hanging over and where the faucet would go .

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Because of what i read on KW, I ordered the Blanco Performa rather than the Precis, because the former has rounded edges. It cost more, but I cannot see myself working hard to clean 90* edges.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I cannot see myself working hard to clean 90* edges.

Me either, but that's not stopping me from getting one :-)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Mine has rounded corners. Not as hip looking as the square corners, but super easy to clean.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio