Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miruca

Oh no! Granite is not what we thought...

miruca
10 years ago

The granite went in today and it is NOTHING like we thought. It changes everything. Painful. My daughter is devastated - it is her kitchen. She loved the slab when she saw it and it is the only one she had that reaction to - but it looks quite different in the confined space of a counter. Oh dear.

I am not sure how to recover from this.

Comments (89)

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I think, as the others say, this will all come together after moving in & accessorizing. The cabinets are beautiful & the granite is fun. You have been given wonderful & great feedback to run w/. After all is said & done, I would like to see how she's decorated it & if she's learned to live w/ it, or what she decided to change, if anything. It would be a good post for others to be directed to, if they find themselves feeling the same about their decisions. With what has been chosen so far, I'm sure we'll see a beautiful kitchen a few months down the road.

Best of luck.

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

Miruca, sorry too if I caused you any discomfort, I took your leopard comment to be light hearted and only wanted to help you feel a little better.

I really like gooster's pics with the taupe on the walls, that goes really nicely with the counters.

It's a beautiful kitchen, I'm sure you'll find a way to tie everything together and make it stunning. :)

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I love the granite. I have never seen that exact granite before. If I had my kitchen might have been sporting it.
    The bold, dramatic look of your daughter's granite reminded me of GWer Gone_South's kitchen. I am taking the liberty of posting a picture and a link to her kitchen so you can see it.
    She used a large format tile that might work n you daughter's kitchen (in a different color) for the backsplash.
    If your daughter just can't grow to love her kitchen can I buy her house?

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with dramatic granite

• deedles
    10 years ago

Like the idea of the glass backsplash and also like the idea of a paint color behind the glass that bridges the counter and cabinets, rather than another color that is unrelated. It seems cohesiveness is a good word for that (stunning) kitchen.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Personally...I think the stone is stunning. One suggestion I haven't seen is...have you thought about getting the stone honed in place? Honing will leave the pattern of course but I think it will become somewhat muted.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Miruca - I strongly dislike almost all granite, as other GWers can attest -- but I LOVE THIS COUNTERTOP. It's got character! It's warm and alive! The link to a luxurious animal's coat is brilliant, really, not off-putting. I want to pet your counters.

I'd say this is one of the few forward-looking kitchens I've seen in a long while. Please don't consider replacing it with yet another of the zillion boring blah tan-beigey-swirly granites we see all the time.

Re. the short 4" stone backsplashes, I do agree that the look would be improved if you took them off. It's entirely possible to just have a painted backsplash that goes right down to the stone top. For the gap, one uses a pure silicon caulk that matches the stone. (That said, your fabricators may not have been entirely perfect with the wall cut, since they knew a small backsplash was going on top to cover any cutting flaws. Definitely check with them first.)

I agree that backsplash tile would be gilding the lily. If you want more protection than just paint (although it's really not necessary with the great high-tech washable wall paints they make these days), why not just decide on the perfect paint color and cover the backsplash wall with sheet glass? Works really well and is less maintenance than grout.

Chin up! I adore it. Your daughter really does have wonderful taste.

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

PS: Not that I personally feel you need to change it, but if your discomfort continues, I agree with the suggestion above to look into honing the granite. This will contribute to the warm feel and make it slightly less bold, if that's part of your negative reaction. The pattern will stand out less. Perhaps your fabricator can show you some honed samples of the same slabs?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I still love the granite and feel it looks stunning with the very beautiful modern cabinets and the beautiful appliances. I still feel strongly about the wall color not going and I feel should be changed to take out the yellow look that does not go well with the granite. I feel once your daughter accessorizes the kitchen, she is going to fall in love.

• pagesturned
    10 years ago

I don't understand why so much attention is being paid to removing a two inch backsplash. Very little of it is going to show once the countertops are actually in use. It's an unnecessary expense.

I expect there would be plenty of pits in this granite if it were honed. I wouldn't recommend it.

Two suggestions for wall paint that go well with the granite: Sherwin Williams' Accessible Beige (reads taupe on our walls) and Mindful Gray (the color I loved, but didn't use, since our floors are gray).

And tell your daughter to grab a magnifying glass and to delight in that fabulous granite up close as well. You can't do that with a plain vanilla counter!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

miruca, it is a gorgeous kitchen! I love the cabinets and the granite - and I am not usually drawn to bold patterns.

As I see it, the wall color does not compliment either cabinets or counters (at least in the light/color rendering of my laptop).

I think the right wall color would go a long way toward tying everything together for you and your daughter. It's also a relatively easy and inexpensive option. If it doesn't work, you can consider more drastic action.

Hang in there!

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I agree with removing the granite back splash and putting in a solid glass sheet - this will soften the entire look. I think the granite is very WOW - I would def. keep it on the island, and I also agree with the right paint colours and accessories, the perimeter will be fine too. If after a time it all seems still "too much", the perimeters could be changed to a solid quartz.

I would never paint those cabinets - they are very rich and sophisticated.

Good luck miruca and keep us posted!

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

That granite is compelling. I'd want to touch it and think about what in nature it could be. It reminds me of the variation in the ocean floor.

Definitely remove that short backsplash. (caveat: I am repulsed by short backsplashes... reminds me of ankle high socks. I normally would not give a negative opinion on even just a detail of a finished kitchen, because at that time, what is the point? But since you are debating removing it, yes, it would look so much better without it.)

You need a real backsplash, something that is calming. I think something that picks up one of the gray colors would be perfect

Like this Houzz backsplash maybe, only with a grout color that almost matches the color of the tile so it is quieter

The fact that there is variation in tile shapes "matches" the fact that there is variation in granite shapes.

I would go with a glass tile variation like that, and then pick a gray color of tile + grout that quietly blends with my favorite lighter shade of gray in the granite

https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~274282-Kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-toronto

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I used to sell Thomasville furniture...and this kitchen reminds me of something from the Hemingway collection. The style was bold and unique...and people bought it, in droves! It was so different that people were just blown away by it.

Your daughter's kitchen is the same way. Take off the 2" backsplash and use something stunning...all the way around the range hood. I like the tan colors in the similar kitchen posted, earlier.

Tell your daughter to hold her head up and brag to her friends that she is loving the countertops and they're exactly as she pictured them. She only wishes she had gone with her original backsplash choice and finds the 2" too timid. Trust me, her 'friends' will start to question their earlier statements and wishing they had been more bold with their own choices! :)

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Interesting, I like the 2" backsplash, especially because it fits the space under the window perfectly.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love GW, and now my DD does too. With your comments and suggestions it took less than 30 hours to pick us up and carry us wholeheartedly to a new vision. The grand canyon, between the original vision and the final reality, has closed. Forever thank you.

NorthCarolina & Ghostlyvision - so thoughtful of you to follow up - all is fine. Funny creatures we are with what sometimes impacts us in different ways... I understood completely the intended humor though... and NC your dog is beautiful.

Badgergirl - I'll let DD know there is a buyer in the wings. LOL.

Circuspeanut - so glad to provide you with a granite you can like!

Pagesturned - thanks for providing names of the paint suggestions, it always helps to have the detail information. I will be interested to see DD kitchen in person in a few weeks to see the actual paint - as DD says it has a gray vs a yellow undertone but the photos may convey something else. Will be interesting to see in person since several people have keyed in on the paint.

RemodelFla - had not thought of honing the granite but given the extreme fragility of this granite I tend to agree with the follow up posters that honing may create chipping, pitting issues.

Again everyone .. so grateful so many people responded with such positive comments, solid suggestions, and humor. This kitchen IS a true reflection of GW from start to finish.

Some may not know that the overall design was a direct result of mpagmom's posts sharing pictures and specific details and drawings on her kitchen. Because of GW, I was also able to "stick to my guns" on several things the contractor's KD was insistent that could not, should not be. And now... the final touches will again be because of GW! GW is truly an empowering "expand the possibilities" group.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Miruca, what temperature are the lights your DD has in the ceiling? Maybe they are 2,700K making the paint color more yellow. I would switch to 3,000K temperature. I had to do this to a bathroom and the paint color was more acceptable. I still feel a more taupe paint would look nicer but I love the cabinets and if my kitchen was as big as your daughter's that is what I wanted to go with at first in 2011. My kitchen is small and can't fit an island so I decided due to no windows in the kitchen except for the sliding glass door, I need lighter cabinets. I just adore the style and the deep rich color of the cabinets. I love the granite counters. I do not mind the 2" backsplash at all. I love having recessed lights and all the natural light from the windows. I LOVE the island. I can't wait to see more pictures when the room is totally done and accessorized.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 0:41

• peony4
    10 years ago

Miruca, I'm so glad your daughter and you are getting this support! Everyone has made great points about the positives of her kitchen choices, including the granite. It really does go well with the dark, understated cabinets (which I love). When you consider the pics from gooster and badgergal, you can see how wonderful it will be.

The problem (problem?) I found with my own kitchen remodel is that each step of the process was such a visual change to get used to. Each new addition seemed to jump out at me for a while. When my cabinets were installed, each time I walked into my kitchen, my reaction was "Whoa! There are my big white cabinets!"... then, "Whoa! There's my huge countertop!" then "Whoa--look at all that stainless steel!" ... Backsplash is going in this week, and I'm preparing for my "Whoa! There it is!" reaction that will occur until my eyes adjust to something new. :-)

So, although your daughter is probably having these "Whoa!" reactions to her granite now, she'll soon have more visuals to balance everything, such as hardware, lighting, rugs and accessories. As the process continues, my bet is that she'll grow to love her countertops as part of her kitchen's overall appearance.

Good luck! Please post more pics as the "Whoa's" continue.

• homeimprovementmom
    10 years ago

I think the counters are beautiful. Personally, I would change the cabinet color to white as that would tie in the counters and the floor. The floor - if it is going to stay blond/yellow wood, doesn't work with the counters or the cabinets all together. Paint the cabinets white and let the counters be the center piece in the kitchen. It will be a much more modern and calm space with a good white and the floor will blend better.
    The stone is gorgeous

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

homeimprovementmom, you made me look in Houzz for

http://www.houzz.com/fumed-grey-wood

I love fumed-wood effects. It looks feather-y, like the feathery edges of the shapes in her granite.

The first picture that comes up at that link shows the softness effect.

From the Q&A, sounds like it's done with this oil "monocoat rubio fumed"
    http://www.monocoat.us/Creative-Effects/

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynne2006 - excellent idea to check the lighting temperature - had not thought about that at all but it makes perfect sense. They are going to check on the temperatures tomorrow. That would also explain why the floors look a honey blond in the pictures ... when they are actually a beautiful neutral white oak.

Peony4 - I laughed reading about your "Whoa's" . Will look forward to seeing your pictures.

homeimprovementmom - the floors are actually a neutral white oak - when I first saw them with the cabinets, in person, they were stunningly beautiful together. Lighting and picture issues obviously may be impacting presentation here - but boy GW'ers pick up on everything!

• Kristen Hallock
    10 years ago

I actually like the granite. Its busy and makes a statement, and probably wouldnt be something I would pick out because I am too chicken to pick something bold like that. But I really do think it works.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I don't think this was mentioned yet but the kitchen is not finished and not being used. Whether you have a bs or not the kitchen will look different (better) when its actually lived in. I assume there will be some items on the counters? Counters with even a few items look better. This kitchen reminds me on my own so of course I love it : )

• Bunny
    10 years ago

debra's right, an unfinished, unused kitchen can be daunting. I hated mine because it looked like some stranger's kitchen had taken up residence in my house. Who was this imposter?!!! It started getting better the minute I set down my always-on-the-counter bottle of olive oil with the colorful label. I baked a batch of cookies. It helped me to do familiar, normal things to restore my comfort level.

• patriceny
    10 years ago

I LOVE it. Really, truly. :) I promise I wouldn't say that if I didn't...

Of course, I'm another one who is going to tell you this reminds me of my kitchen. :)

(I have Arctic Cream on dark brown cabs, and I love the contrast. I didn't want everything to just blend together....)

It may be one of those "whoa" moments talked about above. Yes, there is definitely contrast in that kitchen....and again, I think it looks spectacular! Sounds like your daughter didn't want everything to blend together, right?

Wait until it's all finished. I bet it looks stunningly beautiful.

• annettacm
    10 years ago

I have to laugh out loud when I see responses that say, "Change the cabinets". Those are obviously new cabinets and MUCH more expensive than the granite. As if painting brand new cabinets (which look beautiful) is actually an answer.

BTW, I LOVE the cabs... and the counters... and the floor. I have no fear it will all come together very nicely.

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Miruca
    I think your daughters reaction is typical of the building process. Individual items you have chosen, even though well thought out and coordinated to other items in the design, have a way of "shocking" us when that is the focus of a new element in the design.
    The granite looks fantastic with her choice of cabinets and the transitional design she is trying to achieve. It looks especially good with the dining area? cluster of globe lighting. I believe a more somber stone would have been a safe choice but one that would not bring the kitchen to a wow kitchen.
    If she was one intent on using the BS to bring a Wow then I would caution as that may tip the balance to be too busy for the CT granite. Get rid of the 2" strip if/when she decides to do a BS.
    Above all please reconsider the paint choices in the kitchen as well as the first floor. I do not see anything good in any color that has lemony undertones for the overall of her space. Shots of color even yellow but not lemony would be good for accent pieces, artwork, bowls etc.
    The overall finished kitchen with this CT will be beautiful and above average. Something not achieved with a run of the mill quieter stone.
    Finish the kitchen minus the BS, repaint with a more pleasing wall color and live with it for a while. My guess is she will see what the rest of us see. It's lovely.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I love it too! I think it has its own originality and not the "usual" kitchens we see all the time. I praise you for your creativity! Let's face it, there are kitchens on this board all the time that the homeowner "loves" and I sorta dislike or see strange layouts etc...yours is not one of them....

I was initially shocked when I saw some of the selections installed...but as all the layers begin to come together...a house becomes a home...

Look at the big picture, not just one element in that beautiful kitchen!
    Pam

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Just in case you can stand another compliment...

I was a little taken aback when you first posted pictures but I've come back to this thread several times since and it quickly grew on me. I hope it's growing on your daughter, too. Some of my favorite kitchens here are ones that break the mold and have design elements that I'd not have the nerve to choose for myself but that I think look great. This kitchen is gearing up to be one of them. I have no doubt this will work itself out.

• annac54
    10 years ago

I, like others, think the granite is beautiful, but striking. I would fix the paint and have DD live with it a while before deciding what to do. For me, the 2" backsplash is a little too much. It takes the pattern vertical, which looks bolder than it does on the horizontal surface.

We recently put Kashmir white granite in a small condo kitchen. It came with the standard 4" backsplash. We hated the backsplash on first sight and ripped it out before the adhesive had time to set up. There was something about it that just looked off. We replaced it with 6" tiles and a small mosiaic border on top (didn't want to do a full height backsplash).

I've seen some lovely kitchens where the backsplash is solid slab granite and it looks fine. I think that in this case, the vertical granite is accentuating the pattern, thus not helping your DD's unease with it.

Lovely cabinets and space. I think it will be beautiful when it's done, and hopefully it will become the kitchen she hoped for.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I am so glad I'm not this customer's fabricator. It is crushing when you do a great job installing the stone they pick and then they don't love it right away.

It looks great.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn2006 - thanks so much for the lighting question. The LED's are indeed 2700 and are the likely culprit for the "yellow" that people are seeing.

The paint itself actually has a hint of "smoke" or grey undertone- Benjamin Moore Ancient Ivory

DD has decided to keep the backsplash for now. Interestingly she googled granites and everytime she immediately keyed into the the exact granite she had chosen. So she is feeling like her instincts were right on and the "vision" just hadn't caught up.

Re the fabricator - I think the fabricator did a great job (although I have not actually seen it). They were not around to see my DD first reaction. Regardless, the appreicaton for the quality of their work can be seperate from the visual aesthetic's of the granite itself. Although, I'm sure it is rewarding when a customer is thrilled with both.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Miruca, I guess the LED's were expensive so your daughter may not want to change the bulbs. If there is anywhere else to use them in the house and she can change out the LED bulbs in the kitchen to have a 3,000K temperature, I think she will be happier will less yellow in the room. Glad I could help.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Miruca, I put Delicatus into my kitchen remodel. Yes, very dramatic, but I loved that about it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have since moved to a new house and still miss that granite. As far as ideas for backsplash, I had thoughs of doing something more flashy, but once it was in I settled on a calm plain matte porcelein "subway" tile, but it was 3"x12" for a more contemporary feel. Here is the link to my old kitchen (that I miss). Ignore the mismatched plate covers, I was trying to pick one. I'd be happy to post others if you are interested in seeing how it looks with "stuff". I found that it takes down the drama of the counters a bit.

• heidia
    10 years ago

This is a beautiful kitchen. :) I would focus on the walls-the light color needs to go in order to tone down the granite-I would paint them a shade similar to the kitchen gooster posted. :)

• lilmissunshine
    10 years ago

I know I'm going to mimic everyone else on here, but, I have to agree, your Daughter's granite is really beautiful, I personally love it. I can understand though, being that it has a lot of flow to it, that it can seem overwhelming & because you see your slab vertical & then see it horizontal once it becomes your counter top, it can look quite different, but honestly, it's a beautiful piece. I agree, if nothing else, keep the island granite, it really does stand out & look so nice with the cabinets in her kitchen. But, I also know, it comes down to what's going to make her happy, so, I hope she grows to love it, but, if not, finds what works for her, in the end, she needs to love what she has in her kitchen, I hope everyone loving it makes her feel better, good luck to you all.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellienoelle - I love your counter with the backsplash. So sorry you couldn't take it with you. If you have more pictures it would be great to see them.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

In looking again at your daughters kitchen, it actually has similar tones in the cabinets, lighter wood floor (although hers is much nicer), and even gray walls so maybe a long shot would be helpful too, I'll post a couple. Regarding the paint color, we kept the color we had before the remodel. I was sure that we would have to repaint because it wouldn't look good with the new stuff, but I was pleasantly surprised that I really liked it (or maybe too lazy to change it!)

Delicatus is soo sooo very beautiful that I hope you guys learn to love it! I had the same reaction your daughter did. Every time I went to look at slabs I was drawn to Delicatus like a moth to light. Once she can decorate it, I hope she is happy with it!

Better shot of backsplash we picked

And see, once you add in food and wine and friends and fun, you can't see the "leopard"!

This post was edited by kellienoelle on Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 21:12

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

KellieNoelle, I love your kitchen, especially the counters, backsplash and your beautiful appliances. Can you tell us more about the appliances that you used. Your counter is one of my favorites. I like the choice of paint color also. Thank you for sharing.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Thanks! I enjoyed the year that we had together (haha). The appliances were actually all pieced together from the "return" and "scratch and dent" area of a local large furniture store. The fridge was a Samsung Counter Depth French Door. I loved that fridge. I'll get one again. The stove was also Samsung induction. I liked it as well. I can't even remember what the DW was , but was obviously not to thrilled with it. Paint was SW Silverplate....a nice true grey. We had decent light and it read "gray:

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Thanks! I enjoyed the year that we had together (haha). The appliances were actually all pieced together from the "return" and "scratch and dent" area of a local large furniture store. The fridge was a Samsung Counter Depth French Door. I loved that fridge. I'll get one again. The stove was also Samsung induction. I liked it as well. I can't even remember what the DW was , but was obviously not to thrilled with it. Paint was SW Silverplate....a nice true grey. We had decent light and it read "gray:

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kellienoelle, You did great with the appliances. I love the Samsung Counter Depth French Door in your kitchen. Thanks for sharing the paint color.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Any updates on the beautiful kitchen with the gorgeous granite counters that I loved? Was the wall color changed? Were the 2700K LED's changed to be less warm? Please update us.

• ianace
    10 years ago

Hi,

I love the kitchen! Would love to see the finished product. I'm wrestling between two, delicattus white (seems very different from yours) and royal white, which looks much more like yours. I've ordered natural maple shaker style cabinets and am looking for a more contemporary feel.

The photo is the Royal White. I'll post the Delicattus White in the next post.

• ianace
    10 years ago

Here is the picture of the Delicattus White.

• miruca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lynn2006 - my daughter left everything as it was and in short order ( a matter of days) absolutely loved her kitchen ... especially the granite and the 2" backsplash. Everyone that comes in is in awe of the kitchen :). I think once the disconnect between the original vision and reality was adjusted .... there was room to just appreicate the way it turned out. I have to say it is absolutely stunning.

bocakitty- the royal white is VERY similar... and of course I am now very partial to it :)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Miruca, thank you so much for the update. I am so glad your daughter is in love with her beautiful kitchen. My first love was the dark beautiful cabinets she has and that same granite! But I do not have much natural light in my kitchen so I decided to go with off-white cabinets. If I ever had a big kitchen with lots of windows, I would want what your daughter has. I love the 2" backspash and I am thinking that is the way to go. In person the wall color may look beautiful as the monitor changes the color of walls.

bocakitty, both granites are beautiful. Forget the names of each and decide which goes best with your cabinets and floors and which you like best.

• ianace
    10 years ago

Finally picked a granite, similar to your daughter's Miruca. It's called Alpine White. I can't waIt for it to be installed! It has more ivory than the royal white. The slabs I chose have lots of interesting black crystals and up close there is even some dark green and burgandy. These aren't the exact slabs I picked, but very close in the lot. I'll post pix of the final reveal...if I survive! :)

• ianace
    10 years ago

Pic 2 alpine white

• ianace
    10 years ago

Pic 3 Alpine White
    Thanks!
    BocaKitty

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Bocakitty, I love your Alpine White Slabs! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see them installed!