Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcl_homefree

Cleaning Stainless kitchen appliances

pcl-homefree
9 years ago

I have all new stainless kitchen appliances,
Fridge, dishwasher, oven.
What should I use to keep them looking nice?
Also my glass Kitchen Aid cooktop, how should I clean it?

Comments (13)

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

I've had great success with good old-fashioned dish soap, water, and a microfiber cloth. I use it on everything - stainless steel, granite, glass cooktop, etc. The secret to avoiding streaks is to wipe immediately with a clean microfiber cloth. I wash with one hand and dry with the other.

This post was edited by Dovetonsils on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 23:12

• crl_
    9 years ago

Yep, water and microfiber cloth do the trick around here too, with a little dish soap added if extra grimy.

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANKS!! Um where do I find this microfibre cloth?

• dovetonsils
    9 years ago

Try in Target or Walmart maybe in the kitchen department or the auto department. They also sell them in auto stores.

• Aamich
    9 years ago

You can buy microfiber cloths pretty much anywhere. I see them at the grocery store, hardware stores, any big box store, bed bath and beyond, etc. You shouldn't have any problem finding them. We use them for just about anything that needs cleaning or polishing.

• pcl-homefree
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• crl_
    9 years ago

My microfiber clothes are from target's automotive department about a decade ago. It seemed expensive to me at the time for rags, but obviously has been well-worth the money. I believe Costco also sells a big box of them?

I forgot to say on the cooktop, they make special cleaners for those and that's the only special purpose cleaner I routine use. I use cerama brite.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I use the Wieman Stainless Wipes. Wipe the fridge, stove, hood and dishwasher with them and then go back over them with a microfiber cloth. I have tried several different things, including the soap and water mentioned above, but nothing works as good as these wipes for me. It's just my DH and I so I do this about once a week or so and they look great. I also use Wieman's glass cooktop cleaner if there is something cooked on, otherwise just the dishrag/sponge and water/dishsoap. Don't use the green scotch brite pads on your glass cooktop...the blue ones are fine, I use them all the time...the green ones will scratch it. I bought my microfiber cloths on Amazon. It was a pack of maybe 20 or 25 of them and I use them for dusting, cleaning the bathroom, buffing the stainless steel, etc and I use them on the Swiffer instead of buying the Swiffer cloths over and over...just throw them in the laundry and use them over and over and over.

• Havaneezer2
    9 years ago

I use Weiman Stainless Steel wipes too. They sell them at most of the grocery stores in my area. I have tried a few other things, like Pledge Multi Surface spray and Method Stainless cleaner but they did not work well at all on my stainless appliances and left them very streaky and smudgy, so I only use the Weiman wipes now. You definitely need to buff the appliances with a cloth after using the Weiman wipes because they are a little oily, but they work amazingly well for my appliances and make them look shiny and sparkling clean.

• tamarque
    9 years ago

Looking into the newer sinks you avoid caustics like Comet or Ajax. You can use Barkeeper's Friend. If the sink gets scratched and you have a brushed look to the SS, you can use those green nylon scrubbies and 'sand' in the direction of the brush strokes--same as if you were sanding a piece of wood furniture--always with the grain.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle, wipe with microfiber.

You can avoid streaks by using a second microfiber cloth to dry.

This post was edited by annkh on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 13:42

• design40
    9 years ago

Weiman Stainless cleaning products + microfiber cloths.

Sometimes if they are very dirty, I use a foaming cleaner I get from Lowe's - Style Selections Foaming Glass Cleaner. It says it is a foam for cleaning glass, but if you read the back, one of the first uses it says it's good for is stainless steel.

It really does seem to work well. I have a stainless Bosch dishwasher which are notorious about getting some sort of water mark lines on the front. I've tried a ton of products on them - most (including Weiman) don't do well on them, but the foaming glass cleaner actually does the best that I've seen so far.

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

Try the Original Bee's wax cleaner/polish. A fabricator friend recommended this stuff to me and I ordered a case to sell in my shop. It works really well on all types of surfaces. Easily removes water marks and smudges from black and stainless appliances.

Another great cleaner is Easy Oxy from Easy Stone Care.

Two amazing cleaners!

Here is a link that might be useful: Originla Bee's Wax