Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cevamal_gw

Alternatives to Kohler Stages sink?

cevamal
10 years ago

I just made the mistake of watching the video someone linked here and now I'm in love....with a sink way out of my price range.

Are there any less expensive alternatives?

Comments (13)

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

I also love that sink to pieces, but I just didn't have the space. In the end, I went with a 32" Kraus single bowl stainless steel sink. How is that anything like the Stages? Well, I just use the cutting board right there at the edge of my sink, which is kind of what I did pre-reno with my overmount double bowl sink. The undermount is nice for for being able to sweep stuff right into the sink without having to work around the humped overmount edges.

Another possibility is to set your sink with a positive reveal. With the sink ledge accessible, you can buy or make a cutting board that sits on the exposed ledge, which gets you into Stages territory.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

Houzer sells a sink that offers a some of these functions. It only comes fit for a 36" cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzer zero radius undermount

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

I just got this swanstone sink last week. It looks similar in styling, but it's not stainless. I can't attest to using it yet as its still waiting for install. But I will say I LOVE the the hugeness of it! It is really quite enormous, and I love the less deep step up design.

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=QZAD-3322-077&ca=prgb&CA_6C15C=209948764

Here is a link that might be useful: Swanstone sink.

• cevamal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think for space reasons I'd need the smaller one. Waiting to hear back from my KD. This will be my only sink...not sure if the smaller one would be too small. It looks like it would fit a half sheet pan and my largest cutting board (very slightly tipped).

That ebay link is great, thanks! What's the story there? Is it literally the same sink just rebranded? It doesn't include the cutting board, but I could buy that separately.

I found the Houzer one last night but it doesn't have the shallow section. Plus it comes with a glass board (why?) and not the cutting board or strainer, which are the accessories I'm more excited about.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

The Houzer sink does actually come with a strainer, cevernal. And the grid and the glass cutting board. I agree, a wooden cutting board would be nicer than the glass one. :)

• steph2000
    10 years ago

This is available at Lowe's. Ours has one on display. There's a video explaining the features, which are pretty cool and I wish others would copy. It not only has a colander and a wood cutting board, but it has a second bowl with a drain/plug so you can use it as a double bowl sink or fill up a smaller amount when you need to soak.

From what I understand, it can be used as an under or an over mount.

Oddly, though, my googling of the sink is not at all working out - every link to the video says it is now private. Hm. I wonder what the deal{{gwi:807}} is there...

Edited as apparently you can still see the video in Spanish... Weird. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5TWEM5qvsw

Here is a link that might be useful: Spanish video of sink

This post was edited by Steph2000 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 13:53

• dawnatlanta
    10 years ago

Hi! Have you seen this one by Ruvati? It's my current front runner. I found the best price for it at mainfaucet.com, but it's sold a lot of other places as well:

http://www.mainfaucet.com/ruvati-rvh8350-undermount-stainless-steel-33-kitchen-sink-double-bowl.htm

It has the ledge, the strainer & cutting board (love those, too!). It's about half the price as the Kohler stages. I'm leaning towards this one now over the Krauss 50/50. The one I posted above is a 50/50 split, but they may have a single basin one as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Main Faucet

• Peke
    10 years ago

I love my Ruvati 8300 sink. Much better price too. I would not have used the rack on the Kohler.

• Clarion
    10 years ago

When we watched the Kohler video, it was too cool not to have, even though we are certainly in the lowest income percentile here. We just sighed, bought it, and accepted another delay (time pays for everything if you have enough of it).

Thing is, a DW is basically a DW, a cooktop a cooktop, ect. You can save there if so inclined. But there is nothing else like the Stages sink. Just buy it, you'll be glad you did.

• carp123
    10 years ago

very sharp peke! this may be a weird question..but do you use the cutting board for only fruits and veggies? If it were me, I would probably use a cutting board on top of that one to keep it looking "pretty". HA!

• carp123
    10 years ago

very sharp peke! this may be a weird question..but do you use the cutting board for only fruits and veggies? If it were me, I would probably use a cutting board on top of that one to keep it looking "pretty". HA!

• dennisforman
    10 years ago

I guess Ruvati's Roma series is meant to rival the Kohler Stages. I myself considered the RVH8300. Looks like you have a really good set up Peke! Also, keep in mind the RVH8300 comes packaged with all the matching accessories, which you would have to buy separately for the Kohler. @carp123. I wouldn't be too worried about keeping the cutting board looking pretty. Looks like you can buy them separately as accessories for around $50.

Here is a link that might be useful: RVA1219 cutting board