Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mee19

Can anyone help me identify this granite?

mee19
12 years ago

I was in an appliance showroom the other day and came across this granite that was used as part of their display. Unfortunately, the salesperson didn't have a clue as to the name of the granite. You can't see it in the pictures, but there are also some dark blue flecks in the granite. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ImaCurvyGrrl
    12 years ago

Looks like Asterix to me. Also I think it's called Cosmos? Could possibly be Saturnia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asterix

• mee19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I DO believe you're right, ImaCurvyGrrl. I think it's Asterix. But now I've been reading that Asterix is not really a granite and is not suitable for kitchens. It's beautiful, but I'll have to re-think this. Thanks for your quick response though.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

It is Kozmus aka Asterix aka Saturnia aka the love of my life! And depending on who you are getting your info from, it is either one of the most durable surfaces once installed or it is a nightmare from fabrication up until after installation. There are two granite showrooms in my area- one says they stopped carrying it because they had nothing but complaints and that it would flake off even after installed, the other acknowledges that it is a nightmare to work with but insists that their customers are always satisfied. Funny how the one that stopped carrying it offers guarantees, but the other doesn't. And you are correct, it's not a granite, it's a Schist. I don't know who to trust when it comes to this (and it is quite possible that I may just have to tune out any negative information and go with my gut) but my backup has some similar properties. It's called Magma Gold and has some of the qualities I like about Kozmus, but is not as sparkly and has more golden tones to it.

• mee19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank ynnej, that IS pretty and does have some of the same qualities as the Asterix but is definitely more "golden" than the Asterix. I always manage to fall in love with things, that are a) too expensive b) hard to obtain or c) hard to maintain. I think there may be a little too much movement in this for me though. I definitely don't want something that's going to chip or flake easily so will have to reconsider Asterix. I think if I could maybe find just the right slab of Magma, it might do the trick but I was hoping for something with more of a greenish/grayish/whitish look, just like Asterix. Here is a good website with lots of views of Magma Gold installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of photos of Magma Gold installed

• ynnej
    12 years ago

I know what you mean. Ever since I've seen this nothing has compared. A lot of people who had their hearts set on Asterix have turned to Titanium instead. It is similar but without the bling and with bigger, more random areas of movement.

• mee19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This Midnight Sun is really nice too. Sort of similar to Asterix and some people have called it midnight sun too so not sure if it's the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Midnight Sun

• bahacca
    12 years ago

I love this one too. Another I found that is similar is Juperana gaivota.
    Ynnej-any clue what price point is on the titanium?