Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

How to post a reveal?

olivertwistkitchen
10 years ago

I'm not ready yet, but have been thinking about the best way to do this.

Tonight I finally read the post about how to post photos from the New to the Forum post, and at last taught myself photobucket and how to post multiple photos at once. In addition, I've read that others write up the whole reveal with all their details and everything in a word document (with the photo links embedded?) and then cut and paste the whole thing into a post. Is that right? Is that the best way?

I remember grumpydave's reveal and it was so easy to read and navigate.

Any good tips about the best way to do this?

Thought this would be a good thread for others to refer to in the future as well.

Comments (5)

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

I'm curious too. Is photobucket the only way to do this? I've posted pics a few times only because I have found it takes me way too long to figure it out and it's not worth it. Admittedly, I'm not the brightest bulb. I will want to post a reveal though.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Good question! I finished my kitchen makeover almost six months ago, and while I have posted some photos of certain elements, I have not posted a total reveal for the same reasons...

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Great idea to use word and then cut and paste. It would have been so much easier that way!
    Can't wait to see the reveals!
    On my reveal- I posted a before picture and then the same after view right underneath the before picture.
    I used photo bucket and just copied the HTML links
    Looks like we have at least 3 reveals coming our way!
    So exciting!!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Actually, reveals are *supposed* to be posted in the Gallery section of the kitchens forum. To get to the Gallery section, click on the link near the top of the home page that lists all the thread topics, just above the first thread (the Sticky) where it says
    On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: ÃÂ Gallery ÃÂ :ÃÂ Conversations]
    You will know you are in the Gallery because the background on the page is lavender behind the list of topics.

Although, over the last 3 years people have stopped posting their reveals over there as much. I assume because they didn't know that's what it was for. Plus maybe they wanted more attention/activity that seems to come on the Discussions side and think their post won't get as much attention over there ? And they think people don't know to go there and look.

There is a good reason there is a Gallery side for the Kitchens forum (most of the other forums on GW do not have a gallery!!) . . . If you post your reveal on the Discussions side, it will roll off the last page of the forum within 2-3 months at the most. If you post on the Gallery side, it will stay an open thread for about 3 years ! In addition to reveals, the gallery side is also used for threads that have lots of idea pictures that need to be saved in one location. For example, the 'pictures of pantries' thread that is currently on page 1 in the gallery.

Unfortunately, the gallery side seems to have turned into a place where newbies post (literally they just signed up that day and that was their first ever post) and they don't ever get responded to. In the past, someone would always come along and send the newbie a private message explaining how to use the forum, or post instructions right in their thread. Once they posted in the correct location, they would get lots of responses there. Also, if someone accidentally posted a reveal on the discussions side, one of the first responses was always to post their reveal over in the gallery instead.

I had an idea a while back and wonder what others would think about implementing this. What if we all got back to posting reveals on the gallery side. On the discussions side, we would have one thread titled "NEW Reveal in the Gallery". Whenever someone posts a new reveal in the Gallery side, they also go to 'new reveal' thread on this (discussions) side of the forum and post there something along the lines of "I have posted my new reveal in the Gallery". That would bump the 'new reveal' thread up onto page one and we would all see it and be notified to go over to the Gallery to check out the newest reveal. They could even post a link to their thread.

Thoughts ?

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Angela, I love your idea! I didn't even realize that there was a Gallery side (I've never clicked that link). I have a reveal coming up soon, and will use your suggestion (with a link).

Thanks!

As for format - I have been thinking about how I will do it, and I plan to do some before and after, like a2gemini. I wish I had take pictures of the insides of all my old cabinets, instead of just the very worst ones!

I have a couple of things left to do before I take my final photos.