Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is pulling the bottom cabinets out 3" a terrible idea?

Posted by swfr (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 22:32

I love this look:

Do you think pulling the base cabinets out 3" (not increasing depth, just pulling them off the wall) would make it hard to get to standard depth uppers? I know a lot of people with custom cabinetry do a lot of increased depths that basically mean a difference of 15" (ie 30" lowers and 15" uppers) which is what this would be (27" lower and 12" uppers) so it can't be a terrible idea, right?

I'd love to hear what others think about this look!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is pulling the bottom cabinets out 3" a terrible idea?

Without also increasing the depth of the uppers it can make reaching the standard depth uppers difficult without a step stool. For everyday items. Set up some cardboard in front of your current base cabinets and see if you can reach your glasses and cereal. Even if you are tall and can reach the first shelf, it can be hard on your back to lean that far across the counter. And you probably won't be able to reach the second shelf at all.

o

If the brand your using doesn't offer increased depth uppers, or you don't want the extra cost you can also block out the uppers.
Block both top and bottom, secure well to studs. You have to cover the blocked spaced on the ends-extned side back or add a panel.

o

I did this, worked well. Especially good for making a regular depth fridge look recessed/counter-depth. 3" is not that much, but as jakuvall wrote you can always pull out the uppers as well (I didn't and don't have a problem at 5'6"). My 12"deep above stacked-laundry cabinet is pulled out ~15"!
beautiful, functional E'lux induction range photo 100_26931024x768.jpg

o

Do you think pulling the base cabinets out 3" (not increasing depth, just pulling them off the wall) would make it hard to get to standard depth uppers?

Test it ... put a cardboard blocker that sticks out an extra 3 inches in front of the base cabinets and see what happens.

o

Thanks all. The mock-up makes it seem like I would hardly notice a difference. Co-Co, do you have any other pictures of your kitchen-- that one looked great and I'd love to see more!

o

In our laundry room, the cupboards over my FL washer are impossible to reach without a step stool. Also that picture you showed with the bump out behind the stove....While attractive seems to be a "grease" catcher. I am always cleaning the wall behind my cook top.

o

It look great, but I don't think I would want to reach over a pot of boiling water, to get the salt and pepper. Maybe something decorative there and have the shelf extend on both sides, as it is on the left?

o

I absolutely love the look of that too! I have never seen that done before. I keep my oil and salt/pepper behind my cooktop (between the edge of cooktop and wall there is about 2 inches) and I really love having it there. I don't mind reaching over pots that are cooking on the stove. It's just really convenient and they're out of the way.

o

Yes, Lavender Lass, I think I would do the whole run of the wall behind my stove, not just the one area.
I'm really digging this idea and I feel like it won't end up costing anything really. The original price quote on our quartz included a 4" backsplash that we weren't going to want, so that can be reallocated to the top of this shelf and then the tile for BS can just be broken into the two depths. I can't remember who brought up the point about making a fridge seem more built in, but that is a great point and definitely helps my design aesthetic.

Now I just have to get everyone on board who will actually be involved in creating this masterpiece! :)

o

If you take 3 inches from behind the stove, you lose 3 inches from the floor also. Do you have enough room in the kitchen where you would NOT miss that 3 inches?
As in the aisle width, for example....

Some of the ranges come with the shelves that you can buy to put over the stove. Is that an option for you without losing the floor space?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg030940447656.html

http://www.houzz.com/shelf-under-range-hood

o

I wish wish wish we had done this, I allowed myself to be talked out of it, and first loved it in histokitch's beautiful kitchen
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0711522912040.html

Here is a link that might be useful: histokitch's reveal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here