Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

just need a bit of help with paint colour please :)

akl_vdb
10 years ago

I think we have a paint colour, but I'm second guessing before the painters come. Looking at BM Davenport Tan so the backsplash stands out. Any other colour (besides the brown) that would look good? I tried terra cotta, and everything was so orange. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: bm davenport tan

Comments (5)

• eam44
    10 years ago

OK, it's a very dark color - pretty but dark. Have you taken a sample home and tried it on your walls, looked at it in your light?

I think you have lots of options, including not beige. Are you at all interested in blues or greens? If you do want a beige, have you considered one with a little more grey, and a little less pink? What about HC77, Alexandria Beige?

Whatever you choose, try a sample ahead of time. BM can color match any company's paints. These colors are by Farrow and Ball, and all would be beautiful in your space, and set off your backsplash: Old White, Stony Ground, London Stone, Elephant's Breath, Cooking Apple Green, Breakfast Room Green, Dix Blue. My favorite is the Blue, actually.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you EAM44- actually, I was just thinking last night that the tan might be too dark, and have the Alexandria Beige up there too :) That's essentially the colour we have in our eating area. - where the red coffee pictures are to the right of the coffee maker.
    Thank you for your suggestions! I've been wanting to get away from green, but I do love it and wondering how it would look with the maple, but not sure it would go with the counter.

• amykatsy
    10 years ago

Hi aklvdb.

I just went through re-painting much of my house. I decided after many small sample paint cans that any color Restoration Hardward didn't have, I didn't need! :) They have wonderful colors. They paid some really good designers a lot of money to create their custom colors. The paint is pricy $40/gallon, but that's only a few dollars more than top quality paint. Plus, it's actually cheaper in the long run because it has better coverage and you need less paint. It is also premixed in large batches so you aren't going to get the minute differences in color. So, if you run out of paint before you finish a room, you can go get another gallon and not worry that it won't actually match. Painters usually quote you the paint in their pricing, but you can supply your own paint.

My painter also made a really interesting suggestion -- he said the new low energy lightbulbs don't have the full spectrum of color in them like the old fashioned bulbs, and if a room was too green, change out to the older bulbs because the older bulbs have red in the color spectrum. He said it would totally change the color of the room. I was skeptical, but it turns out he was right. You can almost repaint a room by changing the lightbulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware paint colors

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh, lighting, don't even get me started with that analyzing! I have dimmable halogen pot lights, then warm LED ucl. Get tones of light from our huge east facing window in the eating area, so lots of natural light.
    We don't have RH here :( We're supplying the paint, the painters are painting (they painted our house 8 years ago and are friends of the family).

• eam44
    10 years ago

All of your colors (cabinets, walls, tile) are really neutrals so you can add any color you love as long as it is the right shade. Actually, you've picked the colors of nature in your granite and maple. Green would be a great choice as long as it's paler than a leaf green. Blue, as long as it's greyer than a sky blue, would also be lovely. Neither would be out of place with your materials, and both would highlight the granite and cabinets, that are the stars of the space.

Other colors are also options, just stay away from the brights, and go for the more neutral/natural shades. What is the wood at the top of your cabinets?