Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angeleyes54020

What to do with mistaken purchases?

Angela Dobrzynski
12 years ago

This post is not directly related to my kitchen project design, but does garden web have any selling boards? I purchased a pulley pendent last November and RH won't take it back as a return or an exchange. I waited to long to contact them, so I do understand. I tried crags list, but no hits. Does anyone know of another selling board that will contact me with other people looking for household lighting? Do I just eat the cost and move on?

Comments (25)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

eBay would give you a national following but I would have it boxed up and weighed by USPS, UPS or however you plan on sending it out because people will want to know the exact charge for shipping to their zipcode.

• Angela Dobrzynski
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Do you need to pay to list something for sale on eBay? This might be beyond my knowledge... Maybe time to start learning?

• ladyshadowwalker
    12 years ago

yes you do "feebay" charges for everything! As a new seller I think you get 50 listings free a month. If not its only .10 to 3.00 to list depends on starting price. My advice is to start it at 9.99 and let it go - chances are you'll get the most for it that way. Sounds crazy but i've been selling there since '99. As for fees they take 9% in commission and paypal another 3.5% Its actually very easy to list now, they have tutorials and the listing program takes you through step by step. Good luck whatever you decide!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Ebay is great because there is minimal to pay unless it sells. It will give you a broader audience.

I'd make sure to post a pic here so that people can er.... guide you where to sell it. Make sure you let us know how much you want for it, so we can better guide you. Then, make sure your email address is accessible here, in case someone wants to email you with, er... suggestions.....

We had a thread here before where people mentioned their "oops" items. It was a great way to get ideas on who, oops... I mean where to sell them to. I think I mentioned my 2 person porch swing, new downdraft vent and set of 3 pendant lights (all items are new in boxes). I did not get suggestions that time on where to sell those items. I am in NY but would ship the pendants as they are still in the original boxes that were shipped to me. Maybe someone here can tell me where I could sell them? I can be emailed if there is any interest in providing info....

Many of us have changes in plans and buy wrong sizes, colors, etc.... I know our plan morphed several times, so we ended up with extra items. For instance, I bought crystal doorknobs for throughout our house and then changed plans. I also bought chrome deco style knobs that we are now not going to use. I will sell all those one day when I have time and energy, but in the meantime am open to "suggestions"....

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

ladyshadowwalker--As you sound like an eBay seasoned professional, how many times would you recommend listing an 'oops!' item on eBay or for how long? I also have several items that we won't be using but not sure if/how much of a market there is for them--maybe you can help? Here are a few examples: (i.e. contemporary chrome vanity light, single basin Kohler 18 x 18 x 10 square stainless undermount sink, bathtub deep soak drain, bathroom hardware, kitchen faucet, etc.) Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Angela Dobrzynski
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love this pendent... It ended up being to large for the space. I love it so much I was willing to let it cloud my design and function judgment. RH is selling this for $429 plus $31 for s&h. I was asking for $300 to a good home...

This photo is not posting for me. My first try at posting photos. I will need to figure this out soon... Our kitchen is getting close to the finish line and I have to post photos for all of my helpful garden Webbers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulley Pendant

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I am told that 1/3rd of retail is usually a ceiling for anything that is not one of a kind, especially something still being sold.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you do a search on ebay for something like your item, you will see what the "competition" is asking. Then go to "completed sales" and see what people have gotten recently for similar.
    The most important thing is writing a detailed description with all sizes and any relevant info. I am a power seller and frequent ebay consumer. There is no set guideline as different items sell completely differently. I have seen things sell for more than retail and some sell for pennies on the dollar. It's all about supply and demand (and esp, time of year, for some things).

• sayde
    12 years ago

There are a couple of resellers you might try. There is one called Linda's Stuff -- they're in Pennsylvania. They'll send a UPS truck to collect anything they're going to sell for you. Call them and ask if they want to sell your pendant. They sell mostly clothes but a few household things. I've used them (bought and sold) and they're good. They take a cut of course but they move your stuff and it's easy.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

good practice on posting a photo also...

what do crystal doorknobs look like? like old time glass doorknobs? (pic?)

faucet - I'm gonna have to look for one of those I guess. maybe on ebay. I'm not 'ebay buying smart' either. does one just search 'faucet'? I think i'm gonna need one with the handle and sprayer all on the faucet.

• ladyshadowwalker
    12 years ago

My Dream Home - ebay - its more then a job its an adventure! lol

I'm crystallake on there if anyone wants some ideas for listing - you can email me from one of my auction pages. Basically what dianalo said is exactly right. Normally auctions run for a week. After doing the research, what you can do is list it with least amount you'd be happy with and a buy it now price thats close to "top dollar" based on the completed listings. You can use a stock photo from the retailers website just be sure to say its not the actual item you will receive. From what Ive heard I don't think anyone on here would need a store unless you are selling several items per month valued at over a hundred. Stores mean eBay takes a little less commission but theres a monthly fee. Anyway good luck! and email me if you have any questions!

• onerae
    12 years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the crystal doorknobs either.....

• Angela Dobrzynski
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sayde - Thanks! I'll look into Linda's Stuff and see what they can do for me.

buehl - You posted my pendent. You make it look so easy! I think I will need my 13 year old come and help me figure it out...

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

mydreamhome - what kitchen faucet did you purchase and then change your mind about?

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Okay, I want advice--not ready to deal with selling it yet....several years ago we realized we needed a computer area/den more than a formal dining room. We took out the crystal chandelier and replaced it with a pretty but more practical light fixture.

The chandelier is boxed in my attic. Because of the remodel, parts of my attic are packed off to the side, so no, I can't get a pix right now. Someone told me I should save it in case I ever sell the home. But, here's the thing, I never felt it was really the right chandelier for the room anyway. This is a 70s tri-level. The ceiling height is 7'8. There were so many strings of crystals on it. It seemed too big and too frilly. Should I sell the chandelier? Keep it? I hope to live here another 10-15 years or more.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

colorfast - would you have a pic of it hanging in the DR from before you removed it?

probably sell it - by the time you move you should probably put up something updated. maybe cheaper or found 2nd hand also.

• Susied3
    12 years ago

You know, I think it would be a great idea to have a forum here to sell things! We all buy things and later change our minds, And with so many kitchen/appliance/decor people on GW, we could start our own little Geebay. :)

Love the pulley light, RH has it on sale right now for $339. Plus extra 10% off so that would nearly cover shipping.
    But, I have no idea what they are going for on Ebay.
    Never heard of Linda's Closet, that sounds interesting.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

dekeoboe- The faucet we're not using is a Price Pfister Marielle in stainless steel. It's a really nice faucet but DH decided he wanted a high arc faucet instead. I don't have the faucet here at the apartment to check, so I'm not sure if it has the soap dispenser, but I know it has the side spray and the optional oval base plate. Let me know if you need any curved shower rods as it looks like I might have 2 of those we're not using as well. Here's a pic from the PricePfister website of the faucet:

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

mdreamhome - Thanks for the picture. Unfortunately, it is too traditional for our house, we are going more contemporary. No shower curtains in the new house either. I think it will be the first time we will be in a house without shower curtains.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

dekeoboe-Have you checked out the Delta Addison? That's the one we went with--it's a more contemporary looking faucet. Also, if you are looking for some contemporary faucets for the bath--we used Delta Dryden in the boys' baths & they look great (just installed yesterday). By the way, whatever happened with your door levers/knobs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Site

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have my bathroom fixtures. We still need to select the kitchen ones though. We have to wait until the windows are installed because we are installing tilt and turn windows and the kitchen one may impact how tall a faucet we can get.

Still haven't picked out door levers. I haven't seen anything that jumped up and down and told me I had to buy it.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have my bathroom fixtures. We still need to select the kitchen ones though. We have to wait until the windows are installed because we are installing tilt and turn windows and the kitchen one may impact how tall a faucet we can get.

Still haven't picked out door levers. I haven't seen anything that jumped up and down and told me I had to buy it.

• Angela Dobrzynski
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If RH is selling my pendent right now for $339. I will need to go down in price. I just don't want to store this fixture for the next ten+ years. ebay has one for $302. I have it on Craigs list for $350, I will need to re post my listing for like $250, an hope it goes.

• seaduck
    12 years ago

Here's another option...which may or may not be right for you but might be of interest to others reading this thread.

You can donate new or gently used building materials and fixtures to nonprofits that are set up to promote recycling them -- for which you can receive a tax deduction. There is one in Boston, for example, at the Building Resource Center. Anyone can shop there, members get a discount, and qualifying low-income individuals and nonprofits get a break on membership; it's set up as a co-op. I believe that they will pick up donations, within a certain radius.

I know that similar organizations exist around the country. You can check with the Building Materials Reuse Association. It's hard to identify local stores/centers from their online directory (too many other kinds of members are included), but you could get in touch with them and ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Materials Reuse Association