Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White slab cabinet doors?

Posted by pharmgirl_ga (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 22:08

Hi,

We are remodeling our kitchen with off white cabinets. At first, we really liked the idea of slab doors...not shaker or any boarder...just the slab door and the brushed nickel handles.

When reviewing pictures of kitchens we are seeing lots of slabs in dark colors, but none in white/off white.

Why is this? Is this a strange choice? It has us rethinking our choices.

Please give me your opinions on flat slab in off white cabinet doors.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White slab cabinet doors?

True, I don't recall seeing that combination very much. It might be that the white is a bit plain, and then a slab door makes it look even more simple. Are you familiar with Houzz? If you go there and type a search of "white slab doors" you will see some options. It is definitely a modern look. If that is what you are going for, then great! If not, you will probably need to make some extra effort to look traditional. I am doing white, but doing a shaker door.

o

Our old kitchen had white slab doors. DH put them in back in the late '80's or early '90's. They were Euro-style frameless particleboard construction and clad in melamine (or something like that). Easiest cleaning EVER and they held up very well. However, nowadays you also see white slab doors on builder-basic inexpensive cabinets -- like the bare-bones Harlig doors at Ikea -- so on first glance your average visitor (or house buyer) might see "cheap" instead of "clean modern." It just depends on the door finish and the other things in your kitchen. There can really be a big difference in the feel of the kitchen depending on what kind of white slab door you use, the hardware, and the other materials.

I'm not trying to push Ikea but there are a lot of photos of their kitchens on the Internet... I'd recommend doing a search for Applad and Abstrakt to get an idea of what kitchens with white slab doors can look like. Abstrakt is the glossy Euro-modern one. (Also comes in off-white, so you can see how that would look.) Applad is the less expensive one, not shiny, and can look cool retro depending on how you do the rest of the kitchen. There was a really yummy-looking kitchen in Applad posted here once -- it had a red refrigerator surround, I remember.

o

I love slab doors, and white slab doors are a very cool choice. White slab is clean lines. A lot of people need busy. They want each element to beautiful due to detailing. But elements can be beautiful because of their purity.
A couple of things to keep in mind, what is the norm on GW is not necessarily the norm where you live or in your demographic. You should consider the style of your house when deciding on the style of your kitchen. Everyone looks at pictures during their kitchen remodel and second guesses their choices- be prepared.
My kitchen is a combination of walnut slab perimeter and painted slab door island. I definitely got the advice to 'do something different' with the island doors. I heard 'they will be so plain' . They are not plain, they are simple. They have clean lines. Clean lines soothe me.
My house is busy architecturally from the presence of exposed beams. It is busy in general because we have a lot going on.
Here are some pictures from Houzz to help you. You may want to think about the tone of your kitchen, what will balance the white slab? Will you go cool, or will you add natural elements, texture, color for warmth and contrast? It can all work, just make deliberate choices to ensure that it does.

o

White slab doors can be really lovely. They are very clean and simple. I think we see a lot of stained wood slab doors because they really show off the nature of the selected wood. My parents actually have white slab doors in their kitchen. They built the custom house and selected the white slab cabinet doors in the early 80s and continue to love them.

o

Dont worry about it and go for it! Slab doors are so easy to clean..no nooks or crannies to have to try to scrape spills out of. I got slab doors (natural maple) when we remodeled and would do it again..I love them.

o

Found the link to the Applad kitchen I mentioned above. Such a warm and welcoming space (the red fridge surround makes the kitchen). It's hard to imagine any other door style working as well in it.

Hope it's OK to repost one of the photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Applad White - Before & After

o

I changed out my white slab doors (had for 13 yr) for natural maple slab doors. Love the simplicity and calmness but just needed a change.

o

Thanks so much for the feedback and pictures! Our house was built in 1950 and is a mid century style, so we are looking for a mid century modern look. We are a little concerned that the kitchen may appear too cold, but we have a wall of glass windows above the sink area and hoping the hardwood floors we’ve picked out and the granite we will pick out will help warm the space up a little. We are also concerned about it looking cheap, so hopefully the quality and the things around it will prevent that.

Thanks again for the input. I’m so glad I found this site, I’m sure I’ll be asking so many more questions and I’ll be posting pictures once we start

o

I used a glossy white slab (Ikea) for part of my kitchen. I think it would have been too cold if the entire kitchen had been white. The walnut counter and the walnut doors on the lower cabinets on the other side of the island provide contrast.

o

FYI Ikea also has an abstrakt cream color. I think could look really nice in a kitchen with warm wood floor.

You can SORT of see the color in this photo (2nd from right). I can't google a good pic of it.
IKEA Orsa and other doors

IKEA Orsa and other doors

o

also: tbb123 posted this droollllllworthy kitchen with ikea Abstrakt white and grey just the other day over on Ikeafans.

Here is a link that might be useful: World's hottest kitchen

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 19:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here