Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

The New Brass accents. So tempting but...

iamskc
9 years ago

I can't take the leap. I want to. The new Delta champagne faucets. The brushed golden light fixtures. The hardware... would look so nice with my new white kitchen and espresso Island. But that small part of me that hated brass for so long, that rolled her eyes at anything that wasn't brushed nickel or antique pewter, is keeping me from taking the leap.

Why can't I get over it? I need to have a break thru.

Comments (57)

• design40
    9 years ago

We are planning a white kitchen with stainless appliances in a new house, which is such a timeless look. For the lighting fixtures, I have been looking away from the silver-toned ones to warm it up just a little and give it a little more character.

We currently also have a white/silver kitchen. After buying a few vintage copper pots, which weren't bought for display, but were just sitting out because I was too slow to put them up...I was amazed at how good a touch of another metal actually looked so much better.

In our new house, I'd like to use a little bit of a coppery metal and real looking wrought iron.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

I LOVE brass! I have always loved it (not builder's brass though). Especially when it looks old and patinaed.

There is not one shred of nickel/silver finish in my house anywhere. Despite these facts, I have still been planning on using satin nickel hardware in the kitchen reno because that's what's mostly done and it's what I can find and I can't seem to muster the courage to do brass door hardware. I was hoping I could just get away with making the light fixtures brass. But, now I'm second guessing! Maybe I should go with my first true love and find some worn looking brass knobs/pulls. Not sure how that looks with a crisp white, like Simply White though.

I wish it were more popular, then I wouldn't need so much bravery :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

So I should wait even longer before replacing the antique brass fixtures in my master bath? :o

Seriously, though, I haven't replaced them because I don't want to go to the expense until I'm able to also replace all the tile/tub/sink, etc., so I've been living with them. My hand shower just developed a leak and couldn't find anything in the same finish, so I went with Delta Champagne Bronze which, was I thought was close enough. It's actually very pretty, though!

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See... I'm not alone! It's really a tough decision. Can you mix finishes? Can you have antique brass in a transitional home or does that just slam it into traditional?

If I take the leap in the kitchen with this brass fixture and then the Delta champagne bronze faucet can I get away with oiled bronze hardware on the cabinets? And what does this do to my gray palate in the rooms? I have such a transitional feel to the house. I think I might make a mess if I take this brass leaP.

But I do love the look.

Here's a link to the light for those who inquired.

love,

StrugglingJuniperSt.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful antique brass light fixture

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the delta Champagne Bronze faucet. It looks like a transitional brass in real life. It's beautiful..

Here is a link that might be useful: Champagne Bronze by Delta

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I will guarantee that if you go for it and post a reveal, you'll have a hundred swooning posts. Everyone's afraid to do something different, but it's hard to work up real enthusiasm for the gray and white formulaic decor. I like gray, but there's so much sameness. I can look at photos today and know where they shopped. It never used to be like this.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

yes, you can mix finishes; please do. it's always more authentic and interesting.

the light is from Visual comfort. Or Circa lighting retail

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the pic that had me considering it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass In the kitchen

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I used to worry about mixing metal finishes but I got over it after a designer friend told me that if it was breaking the rules to mix metals, she was breaking the rules left and right. I figure if she can do it, then so can I. ;-)

I have oil rubbed bronze, antiqued brass (some antiqued by age, others faux antiqued), satin nickel, copper, black wrought iron, polished brass, silver plate and chrome metals in my home. I create continuity by keeping the style of the metal pieces similar.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa! Thank you. I need lots of permission to do this. And pictures where it happens that it doesn't look like a mistake.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I can enable with the best of them. :-)

I should have added that I also keep what I use the metal on consistent. For instance, my plumbing fixtures are all satin nickel, except for in the laundry room. That's chrome but it's still in the silver family. My lighting fixtures, door and cab hardware are in various brasses, oil rubbed bronze (ORB) and black wrought iron. The copper and silver plate accents come from several heirloom pieces.

So while I'm mixing metals, there is definitely consistency in use and style.

I'll get pics of my remodeled bathrooms - with satin nickel, ORB and polished brass - posted later.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

I stayed up way too late last night on Pinterest looking for photos that showed brass hardware/fixtures in the kitchen but with stainless appliances. Because it's the stainless appliances that I get hung up on when thinking about going with brass.
    I actually found lots of photos with brass right next to stainless and it looked perfectly awesome! (As previous posters have stated it would!)

Then I found THIS. omg. I think I should scrap all my plans and design my kitchen around THIS.

I sent an email to Smeg right away to find out about this fridge, but I have a depressing hunch that it isn't available in Canada (or maybe not available at all anymore as I can't find in on their website).
    But, it's beyond words!!!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

**swoon** I love black and brass! Do it!

I can't remember how I found it but I landed on this page awhile ago - I think there are plenty of examples there to make your case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass in the Kitchen

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

now THAT is a brave fridge.

I love these pics, Ainelane. Especially the 2nd one.

I'm searching for more mixed metals pics. You hit the nail on the head with the stainless steel. I have a hUGE stainless steal fridge that will be quite dominant in my kitchen. It will underlap the view of the antique brass fixture when looking into the kitchen. I don't want to make a huge mistake. Here's my kitchen design.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the fridge. And I'll post the light fixture and Faucet.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This hanging right in front of the stainless steel fridge??

Hmm???

• crl_
    9 years ago

I found a houzz article on this topic with some pictures. I'm following along because I plan to mix brass and stainless when we remodel in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz article on mixing metal finishes[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-mix-metal-finishes-in-the-kitchen-stsetivw-vs~3222120)

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

I had a bit of hesitation too but ended up going for it. Decided that it reflected a warmer feel and so used it in my husband's office and our master bath. I can't tell yet whether everyone is going to say "oh so 2014", or whether it will stay for a while.....but I do like the surprise of the unlaquered brass and the color is a nice departure from all that polished nickel! Don't ya just love my temp window shade???

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CRL... this link is fantastic! Especially the comments below it. THANK YOU!

I'm almost convinced. So... this brass light fixture in my post above. The champagne faucet here. And I'll post the pot filler too. In Champagne. Three brass (ish) elements. But I'll probably choose oiled bronze or antique nickel hardware. And of course I've got the huge stainless appliances.

Thoughts? Should I go for it?

EEK!

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Champagne Potfiller. Third brassy element.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Firsthouse! That's beautiful. It looks like real gold. The Champagne is kind of halfway between that and brushed nickel.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Sweentastic - I loved all those pics! Thanks for linking. Those designers make it look so easy!

Crl_ Great Houzz article. I'm struck by how many comments there were from people who really want to mix in some brass but are so nervous to do so!

Firsthouse_mp Your bathroom is absolutely stunning! I love every single thing about it. I think the brass takes it to the next level of stylishness.

• ainelane
    9 years ago

JuniperSt - What did you think of this photo from the Houzz article that crl_ linked?

I noticed that the light fixtures are right in front of the view of the stainless fridge. So, this would be a similar setup to yours, right?
    I personally think that photo looks fantastic. The thing with mixing metals like this, it really seems to take the kitchen to a even more custom look. I don't think anyone looking at these mixed metal pics will analyze how the metals work together, they will just notice how unusual, different and stylish the kitchen is!

And like lisa_a said above, if the fixtures/hardware is all of the same style, then that is the continuity and cohesive element. Judging from the elevation drawing and your pics, it looks like the style will all be within the same domain.

I guess I'd be inclined to repeat some of the metals or at least tones somehow. But, maybe that's just me being too safe as I see from a lot of these pics, they designers didn't seem to even worry about that! This same Houzz pic doesn't repeat the copper. The appliances and faucet match and then the door hardware is a third metal.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hm... well, this last pic doesn't work for me. But I'm happy to see it's not the copper in front of stainless that bothers me. Too many different countertops. ThaT is a whole different thread! Ha! :)

• geekgirl512
    9 years ago

We just went through a similar decision process. Just finished a reno and went from late 90's oak/white appliances to dark stained lower cabs and white painted upper cabs with stainless appliances. We were headed down the brushed nickel route since we have that throughout the rest of the house.

But then we found some 2x2" copper tiles that mixed beautifully with the Noce travertine for the backsplash. That led us to deciding on oil-rubbed bronze finishes for the lighting and cabinet pulls. The pulls also have a slight touch of copper to them which goes nicely with the backsplash. In addition to the SS appliances we also have brushed nickel faucets but it really all goes together beautifully and gives a warmer feel to the kitchen than having all the SS/brushed nickel would have been.

Somewhere, though I can't remember if it was here on GW or Houzz, I read that stainless appliances can be considered a "neutral" rather than a metal that needs to be matched or coordinated with. I had also seen the Houzz article crl posted and it was helpful to see other examples.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have any decent pictures to share but if it helps, all of my appliances + sinks are brushed stainless steel.

All of my light fixtures are ORB. My pulls are a brushed nickel ?!? that matches/goes well with my appliances and my faucets (faucet right now) are ORB.

It isn't jarring to my eye, personally; and I haven't heard a single person even remark on the mixed metals.

IMHO, if it doesn't look horrendously out of place, the average layperson (read buyer) isn't going to notice it.

The only ones who would immediately recognize it are Houzz and GW obsessed people.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have to laugh. When I did my GW kitchen with brass five years ago, people most politely didn't say ewww, but they were thinking it! It's nice to see so much brass love as the pendulum swings... I have unavoidable stainless in the cooking appliances (everything that could be panelled was), and the faucets. They're functional, and don't fight with the brass at all.

I have real brass, most of it cast, though the pulls are recycled aluminum with brass finish. The hood, shelf brackets, heat register, door handle, etc., are solid brass. It's fun watching it mellow.

With things like druthers, it's mostly about going with your heart. Real brass does require maintenance, however, so be ready for that. Light fixtures aren't a biggie. Just don't put your hands all over it. :)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

@ may_flowers - I feel the same way, though I also did 10 years ago with the styles that were more commonplace at that time.

• nancyjwb
    9 years ago

This is very interesting to me as I'm planning brass hardware and lighting in our upcoming remodel. I like brass for the way it warms up a space. If you love it, use it!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Glad the houzz article was helpful and very happy to see more examples! I'm definitely using some brass and will have stainless in the appliances and most likely my countertop will be stainless as well. It's nice to see pictures with the mixed metals working well.

• crl_
    9 years ago

So I have most of my metal finish choices mentally in place (nothing is truly final yet as our remodel isn't until the spring) but I'm debating on one. I thought maybe this would be a good place to ask for feedback?

Stainless: range and counter with integral sink
    White with stainless handles: refrigerator and dishwasher
    Old brass: school house ceiling light and sconces
    Ceramic knobs with old brass and old brass exposed hinges: On existing built in Hoosier style cabinet which will be painted a fun color (probably blue or green), this cabinet has a pull out white with black edge counter that we will have re-enameled.

So the question is what finish for the pulls on the new, white cabinets which will be in the sink run with the stainless countertop and above the refrigerator and range?

A silver finish on those pulls would mean that all the "new" stuff is silver. That has a certain logic and consistency to it. On the other hand, an old brass finish for those pulls might help tie things together and make the brass elements look more deliberate, especially as the rest of the brass is fairly small bits that will mostly be somewhat obscured by the ceramic portions of the knobs and the shades on the light fixtures. And bonus option to make things more complex, what about a wrought iron type finish to tie in the black from the pull out counter?

Thanks to anyone who read that whole long saga over such a minor detail and all thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd do old brass as the 3rd element because it's the most unique part of the vision. I say this only because I've read if you have 3 elements of the risky choice it makes it... well, less risky. And as you say more deliberate.

Can't wait to see pictures!

I should say... I'm not in love with brass. I'm in love hate with it. That's why I'm struggling...

BUT I TOOK THE LEAP! Champagne faucet, pot filler and soap dispenser. Burnished brass lamp. Probably brushed nickel hardware. And of course my stainless steel appliances. Now what do I choose for the sink?

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

i am planning on using brass pulls and kitchen faucet with my navy and white cabinets. big question is sink ---- i intended to get a big deep stainless steel sink but i am not sure about doing that with the brass hardware --- so maybe a white porcelain sink. any thoughts???

• crl_
    9 years ago

Here's a link to an image with a brass faucet and a stainless sink. Maybe that will help?

Navy, white and brass sounds awesome. What color counter? If it's a light color counter I think I'd be inclined to do a white cast iron sink--but that might be because I really like white cast iron sinks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ainelane
    9 years ago

crl_ Your design sounds really unique! I think the brass pulls would be fabulous with what you've got. And daring because you have a lot of stainless with the counters it sounds like.
    The iron pulls is an interesting choice too - but I can't visualize it as well. Do you have examples of pulls you're contemplating?

JuniperSt - have you thought about using a cast iron sink? I don't know what your counters/colors are, but that might be really nice with the champagne!

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Housebuilder14 - wow!! What a combo, I can't wait to see your finished pics!! I think you could go with stainless for the sink if that's what you like functionality-wise. I'm with _crl in that I adore white cast iron and I think that would look fabulous with white, navy and brass.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Here's a link to one of my all-time favorite kitchens on GW, from Shanghaimom. Note that it's from May 2010!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shanghaimom's kitchen

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Nobody does brass like Visual Comfort. Their finishes have incredible depth. Which is nice, because you want to enjoy a warm yellow glow while you're trying to reach through the telephone to junk punch their customer service reps.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I tend toward the extremely simple. I have mostly looked at silver finishes and old brass finishes. Here's a possibility for a brass pull.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple brass pull

• crl_
    9 years ago

And very similar black pull. I think the black is probably too much contrast against the white cabinets--I don't really want the pulls to be the star of the show.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple black pull

• crl_
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for posting shanghaimoms kitchen. It is just beautiful! And makes it easier to visualize brass pulls next to stainless steel.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking brushed Nickel hardware for cabinets but then I googled burnished brass and this link below came up. So pretty and temptinh...

Tell me... being new to actually having an brassy... what kind of maintenance does burnished brass need? I asked the question earlier but don't think anyone responded. Don't have to do a dang thing to brushed nickel.

Here is a link that might be useful: burnished brass cup pull.

• crl_
    9 years ago

No personal experience with maintaining brass really. Our existing brass fixtures are old and I like the patina so I haven't done anything more than dust them. But I found the information below, maybe it's relevant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore brass works, how to care for brass

• plllog
    9 years ago

JuniperSt,

The link doesn't say what the pull is made of, and whether the finish is applied (a coating), plated (a chemical process), and/or a patina chemical applied to solid brass. From the looks, I'm guessing not the last, but it's hard to tell from pictures. If it's one of the former two it's probably lacquered, and solid brass can be as well. They have new ways of doing it that doesn't have that clear nail polish 80's look.

Clean lacquer with a soft cloth. Use a little soapy water now and then. Try not to scratch it, because anywhere you break the lacquer, the elements can cause changes.

That pretty much holds for unlacquered plate or solid, but in addition, if it's not lacquered, air, moisture and handling will change the appearance over time. Always dry completely if it gets wet to help keep it from going black. Try not to handle the outside much, to keep finger oils off.

If it's solid brass and it starts to look bad, you can polish it, but that will affect the burnished finish. You can reburnish it, which is laborious, but not hard, though it'll never look like factory done. Polishing plate is never a good idea. Solid brass, if you don't polish it, will develop its own living burnish over time.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Marcolo? Hope you're okay.

Our house was completed in 2006. Lots of "living surface" brass. It is what I had before, liked, and wanted again. There are so few people here that there really isn't a critical mass of any surface, so perhaps I don't feel the same pressure toward trend identification. I didn't even know it was "out."

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Marcolo!! Where have you been? We've been missing you and your witty posts. Someone recently posted your "I poured milk on my cereal" thread again.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Greetings, folks! Just passing by. Miss you all.

Visual Comfort burnished brass fixtures don't seem to require any special maintenance. Unlike their sterling silver chandelier, which actually requires you to climb a ladder, cloth and polish in hand. A rope also helps, so you can later hang yourself from it.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marcolo... would love to see pics of your VC burnished brass and the sterling silver chandelier (from hell)!!

and for the record, ladies, now that I've approved the order of all the brass I'm wishy-washy.

We shall see.

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA