Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honed absolute black granite stains

Posted by cmm6797 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 22:06

We've lived in our kitchen for about a year and the honed absolute granite has begun to "stain," for lack of a better description. I think they are mostly water marks. There are several glass rings, a circle from a cooking pot, etc. I have tried hot water and the Method Daily Granite cleaning spray, which is what we typically use to clean the counters. Nothing gets the marks out.

Does anyone have any cleaning suggestions? Ay other information on why this is happening would also be helpful. I'm confused as to why this is just happening now. For the first 6 months or so the counters were easy to clean. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honed absolute black granite stains

Absolute black shouldn't stain and shouldn't need to be sealed. It's possible that your granite was sealed and the stains are showing up in the sealer. In that case you need to remove the sealer. Alternatively, you might not have been sold authentic absolute black. You should contact your fabricator.

o

Weissman,
Yes the countertop was sealed; I remember the installers applying the sealer. I didn't know that it shouldn't be. How would the sealer be removed?
Thanks!

o

I agree with Weissman. Absolute Black is the most dense countertop granite. Consequently, it should not be sealed because the sealer cannot penetrate the granite, and then sits on top of the stone creating a haze, and showing water marks and the like.

I am linking a recent thread, and also you could go on the John Bridge Tile and Stone Forum and ask the experts there with a post liked "How do I remove sealer on Absolute Black" or something like that. They are very friendly there to the "non-pro's", and you will get advice from guys in the business (without having to pay someone!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum Thread about AB Sealer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here