Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
risec

Depth of quartz countertop edge to front of sink in a corner

RiseC
9 years ago

Hello
We just had counters installed in our remodeled kitchen. When I got home, I felt something was wrong with the distance from the edge of the counter to the leading edge of the sink because I have to bend way over just to get my hands into the sink. It measures 7.5 inches. Is this a lot? I have been reading other posts and most people are reporting 4 inches. It is however a corner. The countertop company is coming out tomorrow to look at it and I want to make sure I am not exaggerating...

Comments (11)

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was confused by that title, but I got it--corner sink, 7.5" counter in front of sink. Sounds like alot when 4" is typical for a straight run sink. We have some corner sink experts here, but they'll probably need your sink and cabinet measurements to see what went wrong.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

That does not sound right, 7.5" is huge!
    I have a corner sink with 3 .25" of counter in front.
    (Sorry for bad cell phone photo, but you get the idea)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 0:39

• friedajune
    9 years ago

My corner sink has 5-1/4" granite in front which includes a french ogee edge. I think 5-1/4" is a lot but was necessary because my sink is 27" wide, and we also had to notch the cabinet base in order to get it to fit in the corner. The french ogee edge adds about an inch just by itself. I definitely would not want the counter in front of the sink to be 2 inches more than mine is. I do love my corner sink location and the advantages it brings to my kitchen layout (uninterrupted expanse of counter, enormous storage under the sink, room behind the sink for swing of single-handle faucet). But I would be interested to learn why your installation needs 7-1/2 inches of counter in front of the sink.

I would advise you to choose a pull-out faucet in this situation, rather than a pull-down faucet. That's because a pull-out faucet will reach farther toward the front of the sink than a pull-down. A pull-down faucet is more towards the rear of the sink, and I think you need every inch you can reduce the need for reach. So look for a faucet with the longest reach you can find (the specs for the reach are always provided on the manufacturers' website).

This post was edited by akchicago on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 8:21

• renov8r
    9 years ago

Is it because your sink is too large for the cabinet base? I have first hand experience of washing dishes in a sink that was over 6 " away from the the edge - it killed my back.

• RiseC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Attached are photos of the sink and counter. There seems to be plenty of room to have placed the sink 2 -3 inches forward.

• RiseC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another...

• User
    9 years ago

Your sink base looks like a 36'' one which barely fits a 25'' sink. You would have needed to notch the sink base to pull it further forward. Some counter guys won't do that because they don't want the liability of potentially damaging the cabinets. You would have had to have your cabinet installer do it.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

What guidance did you get from your kitchen designer about selecting a sink to fit the sink base? I think that's who dropped the ball.

• RiseC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We were told we could fit up to 27 inches and this is 21 inches. This is not the issue, the man who templated told my husband "the standard is 4 inches in but yours will be 5.5 to no more than 6." Then, we get 7.5 inches!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 8:25