Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

bosch nit8666 vs bosch nit5665uc induction - xpost

lisa_a
9 years ago

I had settled on the Bosch NIT5665UC induction but since it's taking a little longer to start our remodel than we anticipated, we may not be able to get this model anymore. Our $ales rep is checking stock for us.

As a back-up, she showed us the Bosch NIT8666. The appearance is slightly different, as is the control panel area, and the large center hob is 9/12 instead of 9/11 but other than that, I'm having a hard time understanding the differences between these two.

I'd love it if someone here more knowledgeable about induction cook tops could help me out. TIA!

Bosch NIT5665UC

Bosch NIT8666

xpost to the appliance forum.

(Measuring my pans won't help since they won't work on induction. I need to buy new plans - yay, finally ditching my college era pans - I just haven't done it yet.)

This post was edited by lisa_a on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 22:06

Comments (28)

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I have the 30 inch Bosch induction, 500, installed 3 and a half years ago. Flawless, easy, you will love it. I don't know what they are doing with these models today.

Remember, Bosch (and Miele and maybe others now) has shutoff timers. Put rice and water in a pot, a little salt, cover it, set the timer for 18 minutes, you're done. walk away Not just noisy 'to alert you' timers but shutoff the hob timers.

I have posted a lot about my Bosch induction cooktop(ic).

NOtes and tips.

Salt can scratch the ceran top. Use non ammonia windex. or
    dawn and water and then rinse if using Dawn.

Use Boost to attain a boil but not to maintain a boil. Turn it down once you have attained the bubbles you want. Maybe 8, 8.5 or 7.5?

Power sharing is something you read about but doesn't come into play very often in actual use. Boost is what you power share. On Bosch, the boost function shuts off after ten minutes.

Almost all induction capable pots work on almost all hobs, even when a pot is sitting half on. It still works That's another thing you read about and worry about but is a non issue for me. It all works, or almost all.

If you put paper or silicone under a frying pan for easier cleanup, it makes it a bit difficult to see the edges of the hob's circle. Again, not a big deal either way. It is easy to clean up.

Never be hesitant to fry or make a mess. Easy to clean. Never lift a grate again.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Lisa, they both say 'count down' timers. I don't know if that means 'shut off timers' or just counting. There's a difference. I will check if the 800 model says count down or shut off timers.

Westy

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I have the NIT8066UC (frameless), which is the 31" 800 series.

The countdown timers do both. They can shut off your hob or act as a kitchen timer. I now have 7 timers available in my kitchen, LOL!

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but the big difference between the new series and this last one is that the 4 hob 500 doesn't have direct select anymore. Not an issue for you. I noticed that the price of the newer series was less than the older, when it came out.

You may use all of a 12 inch hob, but that would be something like a huge Vollrath rondeau and massive quantities. I cook for a family of 5 and use a 6 qt sauteuse that is 11.5 inches on the bottom for my 11 inch hob.
    Even a 12 inch skillet will only have a 10 inch cooking surface.

Love it, love it, love it. The response is like gas but without the residual heat. I'm so much more comfortable in the kitchen, now!

To clean I use a sponge to get any food particles up and finish with vinegar/water mix and microfiber cloth.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm not sure of the differences either (I checked, and don't see any?). But just wanted to add that I have the 30" 4-hob 500 series (older version with direct select power levels which are not available on the 30" 500 series now) - my favorite functions are the individual hob timers (makes cooking rice and oatmeal a breeze), the precision, the ease of cleaning, and the direct select power. I have nothing bad to say about my cooktop, or about induction I general. If and when I move, induction (or at least being able to install induction) is at the top of my wish list.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone! It's great to hear so many are pleased with their Bosch induction cooktops.

westy, thank you for going into the details of cooking on it. I was concerned about the pot size issue but you've eased my mind on that. I can't imagine needing a hob for a 12" pan either. The only thing that might come close is DH's big pot for making beer. I just want to be sure that I can use a 10" or 10.5" pan on that big center hob without a problem.

Our appliance rep emailed me to say that she can't get the retired 500 model. The price for the new 800 is about $200 less than she had quoted for the 500 model a few months ago (that's unexpected) so that helps the budget. However, if I really want the 500, I can order it through A J Madison. They show they still can get it. At least I was able to add it to my cart. I suppose it could come up as "unavailable" a few steps later.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've learned a bit more. The 5665 comes with overflow detection, the 8666 does not. The latter has AutoChef, the former does not. I much prefer the overflow detection, don't know much about the AutoChef other than that you need to buy the special pans to make it work. I've also measured every plan I own and looked at induction compatible pan sizes at stores and didn't find a pan that would require a 12" burner that the 8666 offers. The 5665's 11" hob will work just fine.

Decision made.

I ordered the 5665 through ApplianceConnection.com. They have a better user rating (also affiliated with Amazon) than A J Madison. And - woo hoo - they offered a $25 coupon plus free shipping plus Bosch is offering a $100 rebate so the cook top will come in under $2K.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Honestly, I thought ALL induction cooktops came with overflow detection.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, the 8666 might include it but it didn't say. That wasn't the only thing that swayed me, though.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I, too, thought that all ic had overflow protection, too.

I kind of wonder how having to touch a pad more than once, to attain or change the heat level, is a big deal--as in not having direct change-ability. I think lifting cast iron grates and putting them in the sink is a big deal, but tapping a touchpad? Forgive me, I have become an induction snob(IS)!!

Or even, wiping splatters from grates without lifting them into the sink is a big deal--when you are spoiled by wiping a flat, smooth(dont stop to kiss it) induction surface.

Come on, can you compare/measure the time it takes to wipe around, and up and down, splattery, greasy, food stuck grates (This girl is on an IS roll!) to a spray, whish, worst case scenario, rub sponge a stuckey food? How compare?

Oh the other thing is---when you recognize the refined level of science it takes Bosch-Siemens to create machines for hospitals, like mri and all the other precision, scientific, exact to the nnnnth stuff it does and compare it to the complaints I have read about on the appliance forum-specifically the 'hot to the touch' oven doors of hi powered, heavy btu, 'professional' ranges --I have articulated this poorly--and what we Induction snobs know-that we can achieve blazing hot SEARS on our induction cooktops with ease--i just don't get it. (I suppose I will somehow pay for this rant).

The comparison is induction cooktop to IC and not gas to IC but I think that induction is so easy that I wouldn't care if I had to tap more than once to get to a heat level. Yes, this may be the wordiest post of my posting career.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I am sure there are those who wouldn't mind, but yes, it would drive me nuts to have to go tap-tap-tap-tap-tap to get from power level 5 to power level 10 (instead of just tap once). And that assumes they don't make you tap for every half step too.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Couldn't you just tap once to go back to zero and then tap again, to get to the desired heat level? vs. five separate taps? Or hold down to scroll?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Maybe you can :-)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

westsider40, I've read your post a couple of times but I'm still confused about what you're referring to. Does the 8666 require multiple taps to change the heat? Or was your comment regarding other brands of ICs?

The easy temp change feature of the Bosch IC is one of the reasons I'm choosing it.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Yes, you can touch and hold for temp changes. I still prefer direct select, even though the time lapse would be negligible. Going past my desired setting, which I do with the oven timer all of the time, would end up annoying me.

The newer model does have overflow protection. I had an Oops!

With Autochef, you get a pan with the purchase of the cooktop. Just fill out the included card and send it off. Took about a week. I don't fry often and only used it once for eggs. Things happen fast, so you need to hover. It would NOT be a factor for purchase, for me. I guess if you needed an induction capable non-stick, it would be more of a bonus.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

alex9179, are you referring to one of the models of Bosch induction cook tops that I posted about? I thought the one I'm buying - the 5665 - is direct selection - you want 5, you press 5 - but now you and westsider have me confused. I know I didn't want one of the cook tops with the half circle temp selection. I hate using the mouse pad on my lap top so I'm not likely to like having to do an arc sweep on my cook top. :)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

No Lisa. I'm saying that those without direct select can reach the setting by "touch and hold" instead of "tap, tap, tap".

Your model has direct select.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, yay, good to know, thanks!

My mind is spinning from making all these choices. Glad this part of the process is nearly done!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

You'll love the cooktop. While I was cooking last night, I said to DH for the umpteenth time, "I love this thing!"

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to hear it, alex9179! We switched from electric to gas when we moved to this house and now we're switching from gas to induction when we remodel. I'm not unfamiliar with navigating the learning curve of using a new method of cooking but it's still a big purchase and change so I appreciate the encouragement.

Everyone has warned me, "you'll need to buy new pans" to which I always respond, "I've had the same pans since college ('70s), I'm more than ready for new pans!"

Time to go search for threads on induction cookware. :)

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Damn and blast, the on-line dealer can't get the discontinued Bosch cook top either!

But it's all going to work out. My concerns about the center burner on the NIT8666 were resolved after a call directly to Bosch. Despite the literature stating that it's a 9/12 dual zone, the PotSense feature will allow the use of a pan from 8" to 12" and everything in-between.

Little wonder I was confused. The rep wasn't sure either and had to go look it up. You'd think they'd be more well versed on the basics of their products, wouldn't you? No matter, I have my answer. Hope it helps someone else!

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Buying new cookware is FUN. I started looking for pieces at Home Goods/TJ Maxx/Tuesday Morning long before we installed the cooktop.

I got a set of Ikea 365+ to replace the some of the cookware we gave up for induction. I like it fine except for one thing, the 5 qt pot gets rust stains for some reason. The other sizes are fine. Weird.

With Autochef, you'll get a medium sized non-stick (WMF brand) once you send in the card. I use mine like a regular pan for making my eggs, since I don't do much frying. The stainless on the outside cleans like a dream.

I'd recommend going slowly and try one piece from different lines that interest you. I scored a great deal on an All-Clad 6 qt french brasier (basically a sauteuse) from Amazon Warehouse. You can browse brands and get a very nice pan for a song. Availability changes constantly. I'll link to the page, go to the individual letter for a complete listing of brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discounted cookware at Amazon

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Lisa, I didn't mean to confuse you. I was speaking in generalities, about-even if, worst case scenario, one had to tap a few times to get to a heat level, and not, not, about the specific requirements of each particular model. I think that all the Bosches would have the same setup for direct select, but I have not checked each model.

i think an interesting feature of certain Bosches is the lessened amp wiring requirement. The specs say that this particular 36" model is the only 36 induction on the market that uses 40 amps rather than 50 amps. That would be an important feature for certain homes and customers.

Lisa, you will love whichever one you get. My learning curve was 'how to turn on the hob. I was pressing too hard and thinking my unit was a lemon. It wasnt. I was wrong. When I learned to just rest my finger on the touchpad, it always worked. 3.5 years later, that's just a memory. And my daughter figured out the touchpad pressure right away.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I had the same problem, westsider! I finally figured out that it's a "touch" pad, not a "press" pad ;)

The only other thing I've had to experiment with was using a pressure cooker. I found some good info, so that's working better.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I made that mistake about pressing too hard also!

Lisa, I don't know what kind of cook/chef you are, or if "high-end" cooktop is in your future, but if not...I bought a set of the Tramontina all-ply at Wal-Mart and for me (just cook - not "a cook") its great. I got the set with a 5 qt covered pot, 3 qt covered pot, 2 qt. covered pot, and I think a couple of pans (that I don't use). I filled in with a 1-qt 365+ from IKEA, and a 12" sauté pan (that I love) from Zwilling. I also have two stockpots (I love to make soup). The only thing I could use is a second 2qt covered pot.

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm just a basic cook, certainly not of the caliber of other GWers here. I envy their talent. I used to love to cook and to experiment with recipes. And then I had kids and well, things changed. :) DH wants to take cooking lessons with me so hopefully I'll get to be more adventurous and skilled again.

Buying a pan from different lines to try it out is my plan, alex9179. I read good reviews on Farberware's Millenium line and it's reasonably priced so I'll start there. And I plan to ask Santa for a Le Crueset Dutch oven, maybe a red one to go with my scarlet Fiestware dishes. :) And I will definitely check out cookware at the link you included, thanks!

Thanks to you, too, sjhockeyfan, for the cookware suggestions.

sjhockeyfan and westsider, thanks for the tips about using the touch pad. I've been known to press the keys on my keyboard harder than necessary as if it were an old-fashioned typewriter like the ones I learned to type on. Oops.

Interesting, westsider, about the amp requirements. We wouldn't have had an issue since we added an extra panel over a year ago to handle the big power tools my hubby inherited from my dad (both hobby woodworkers). We haven't filled up the new circuit breaker so we have power to spare. Not a bad situation to be in.

I compared the kW of the 8666 to the discontinued 5665. They are nearly identical; the only difference I could see was for the middle burner. The 8666 has a higher kW. And yet the overall electrical connection requirement is less. Curious. Well, as long as I can use all 5 burners (not all on boost, I know that much) on the rare occasions when I need to, I'll be happy.

Thanks, again, everyone, you've been immensely helpful (even if I did get a little confused there for a bit).

sjhockeyfan, I gotta ask. Are you in the Bay area? My DS1 moved there in March and couldn't wait to go to a hockey game. Doesn't care for other sports that much but he loves hockey. I think he likes it mostly for the fights. Like the old joke: I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I actually live in downtown San Francisco but I've had Sharks season tickets since they were "born". I actually hate the fights - everyone else in the arena stands up and cheers and I sit there waiting for it to end :-)

I wish I had known about your son last week - we had pre-season tickets that went unused!

• lisa_a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG, he would have LOVED to have taken them off your hands! I'm with you on hockey fights. But I think DS1 says it mostly as a joke. He really enjoys watching hockey.

It was hard when DS1 moved away from us but at least he moved near a city we love to visit and is only a short plane ride or a 10 hr car ride away.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Lisa, my son (whose wife is about to have their first baby) lives across the country, so I can commiserate. P.S. I got your email.