Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittenkat_2002

Finished Kitchen: Cherry, Soapstone, Marble

kittenkat_2002
13 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen as part of a complete remodel/addition. The kitchen moved from the front of the house to the back. We had no counter space and cow wall paper.

There are certainly things that I wanted to do like add a niche behind the cooktop. I do wish that I would have at least explore bumping out the sink

Details

Beleza Soapstone

Carrara marble island

I didn't intend to get all GE appliances

120v GE Monogram advantium

Monogram oven

36 inch Monogram cooktop - sadly I choose this one because the knobs light up. I've left the burner on by accident a few too many times.

GE Fridge and dishwasher

XO Hood

Paint - BM Silver Lake

Faucet = Grohe Ladylux

Insinkerator air switch

SInk - Blanco Silgranit Diamond super single -This could be my one big opps. 1.) I didn't realize until I saw it being installed that I would never be able to change out the sink with out tearing up the counter. I'm sure I love it but still. 2.) I choose this sinks because of the side drain, which is a moot point with a sink grid

Backsplash - Daltie 3x6 arctic white

Cabinets - Customer cherry cabinets with a waterbased stain

Floors are oak with oil based Bona poly 2 coats semi-satin, 1 coat satin

Lights - Pendants are Potterybarn Rustic; Dining room pendant light is Restoration Hardware

Comments (54)

• rj56
    13 years ago

Lovely! Great job. Definitely timeless.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love the materials and esp how you did the herringbone behind the stove. Classy & classic ;)

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Here I go again, falling in love with the Cherry Cabinets, just beautiful! If I could just find a way to include the Cherry with the White Painted?! The Pottery Barn Pendants are amazing, what do they look like at night? Wish that you could add a night time picture, so we may see these LIGHTS! You must be so happy, everything is wonderful, CONGRATULATIONS! roseofblue

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Nice job...looks very clean and crisp. Congratulations.

• yoyoma
    13 years ago

Beautiful. I like the contrast of the outer black soapstone with the white marble island. Kind of wish I did that, too. Congrats!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! I love the big window and how the cabinet hardware pulls all the appliances together. And the pendants are the perfect finishing touch!

Becky

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

But I want to see the cow wallpaper!!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Love your cabinets, the style of your island, the hardware & pendants, and your backsplash. It all looks GREAT. You must be so excited!

• sayde
    13 years ago

Great design with the tile -- you took a very simple element and made it really special because of your decision about how to vary the pattern behind the stove. Looks wonderful!

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Simply beautiful!! Not typically a cherry cabinet fan, but I love yours. Love the black and marble counters(I have the same and in the same spots). Love the change in pattern in the backsplash(I did the same as well and with white subways). LOVE your sink window!!

I REALLY hope you know the answer to this because I've been searching for months. Do you know the brand and color of your grout. It's the exact gray I've been looking for and I'm tired of buying bags of grout, testing them only to find out they don't work!! Thanks!!

• doraville
    13 years ago

It's beautiful! Love the cabs and backsplash.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Love your cabinets and contrasting counters! Looks really nice in there.

Can we see some before pics, please? I live for before and afters :)

• houseful
    13 years ago

It's beautiful!! Love the cabinets, the marble, the backsplash design. I really like the floor color contrast with the cabinet color.

I have several questions for you:

Why didn't you add the niche you wanted to the backsplash? and
    Why do you wish you had bumped out the sink?
    I am contemplating both these decisions.

Do you find the two can lights above your cooktop to be adequate enough? I am struggling with two or three. How far are they in front of the cabinets?

Thanks!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen. Classic with a little subtle panache with the back splash and marble island counter. It has the generous modern farmhouse feel, and love the kitchen window. Warm with the cherry but still light and open feeling with the BS and island. Congrats!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The dark counter with the white backsplash looks wonderful. Love the window too and the pattern of the backsplash behind the cooktop.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Really, really pretty! Well done.

• mwrede
    13 years ago

kittenkat_2002 your new kitchen is really beautiful - simple yet elegant! Great Job!!! I'd love to see the before pics - I bet it's a big change. How do you like the monogram oven and speed oven?

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh my that is so warm, rich, and GORGEOUS! I totally *heart* your floors! You must be thrilled! Congrats on your beautiful new kitchen!

P.S. Can we get a peek at the cow wallpaper? ;^)

• eustacem
    13 years ago

I love what you've done with your kitchen...so beautiful and elegant. Would you mind telling me about the window over the sink, what brand, was it very expensive, etc...

And I'd also like a gander at the cow wallpaper! lol

Thanks!

• onelady1dog2girls
    13 years ago

This is just a beautiful kitchen - it's obvious that you really planned out all the details. Also, I am a herringbone fanatic, so just love your backsplash.

• krabbypatty
    13 years ago

Love it. I'm so glad you posted. These are most of the same finished we're considering. Nor I have another pic for the inspiration file!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Really, really lovely. Such great details...that fantastic window and the herringbone with subway tiles and that fantastic drum shade light. Congratulations!

• kittenkat_2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh this is so fun!

For those with silgranite sinks, where do you put your sponge? I used to use a suction cup but it doesn't stick now.

I don't have under cabinet lighting but I actually feel like I have plenty of light. If I really want extra light at the cooktop, I use the hood lights.

Something I'm glad I did it put a long pull on the trash pull out. It's easy to use and I can hang a towel on it.

Houseful - I wish that I had a bit more room behind the sink. I have no idea why I didn't ask about it. As for the niche behind the cooktop, I was just tired of all the small incremental costs adding - it would be nice to have a place to put the pepper grinder and just feel like I had a bit more room

Malhgold - The grout color is delorean gray

This isn't a night photo but the pendant lights are on.

You can see where the cabinets were. The drawers were wood on wood so I got saw dust in the cabinets underneath so I had to put everything upside down.

The stove was on the right

We went from a 2bed 1bath 800 sq/ft house to 4 bed 2 1/2 bath 2,200 sq/ft. If you're interested in seeing before/after photos I've included a link to my blog with more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• eustacem
    13 years ago

Yup...those are cows, all right!

• kittenkat_2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, I missed some questions.
    The grout brand is polyblend. I can't tell how far out the cans are. 1 1/2 to 2 feet I think.

Our windows are Harvey and I don't think that the window over the sink was very expensive or else we probably wouldn't have gotten it.

• maddie_2010
    13 years ago

Hi There, I abolutely love your kitchen!! I am at the beginning stages of remodeling our kitchen. We just chose cherry cabinets that are similar to your color. We have looked at so many slabs of granite and I am having so much trouble selecting a color. I know very little about soapstone and marble. Do you have to be extra careful with it? Could you tell me a little about it and how you chose it? People just recommend granite, granite, granite because of its durability. I love the contrast of your countertops and would love to be talked into the soapstone and marble. I am beginning to think that granite may be too busy and I love the look of your kitchen. Thanks so much!!!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

What a great transformation. I love your cherry cabinets, the marble and the fantastic window. Your pendants lights are wonderful too. Enjoy.

• lisa0527
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous kitchen!!
    We're in the midst of a kitchen reno with cherry shaker cabinets as well. I was going to go natural, but love the stain you used and may reconsider. Do you have any details on the stain with respect to color or brand used? Looks a little darker than natural cherry.

• kathec
    13 years ago

It's really, really pretty. I love the tones. Usually, I'm a glossy tile fan, but I love the subtler matte tile with the oiled soapstone. I also love the tile work behind the vent. Well done. I know you'll enjoy this kitchen for years.
    Kathe

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Looks great!!! (Moo!!!)

• scootermom
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen...YUMMY cabinets. Love it.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I read the blog - thanks for the pictures throughout. We are adding 1000 sq ft to our house - but it's only paper so far. Before we sign, I need to look again at moving to a new house. After all the horror stories, I'm glad to see how well yours went, and how beautiful it is. Congratulations!

• twosit
    13 years ago

Wow! I love your kitchen. It is stunning. The pendants are really pretty--I had never seen that Pottery Barn has lighting. I almost went with the Super Single Silgranit--changed my mind at the last minute. I bet you will love it. I didn't know the suction thing doesn't work in the Silgranit. The combination of the granite and marble looks great--I love your contrasting backsplash too. really gorgeous!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

This looks great! You know, a lot of people shy away from white subway tiles when doing wood stained cabs but your kitchen is an example of how extraordinary it looks! Amazing. Love it! Enjoy!

Do need to ask if you are missing the old wallpaper ;)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi kittenkat...

That's just an elegant and timeless kitchen you have...Peaceful and serene..Well done!!

KA:)

• remodel-mama
    13 years ago

Wow - I love it all your choices. Congrats!

• ptyles
    13 years ago

Oh I love your kitchen. The cabinets are so warm and I love your counter top choices. Enjoy cooking in your lovely space!

• ajard
    13 years ago

Love it.. if I didnt do white and did a wood color.. this would be my inspiration.. love so many things about it

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen--it's one I would definitely feel right at home in. I love how you didn't just frame the herringbone under the hood but continued it to the ceiling. Please post once you've been using your kitchen for a month or two and let me know how you like your ovens next to your refrig with no landing space next to the ovens--I think I'm going to be in the same situation and am hoping it's not a problem. You have a lovely, light-filled kitchen--I'm sure you and your family are going to enjoy this new kitchen!

• deegw
    13 years ago

Love it! Honestly, I am strictly a white cabinet person (or so I thought), but you managed to do light and open and classic with cherry. It looks great.

I think the fact that you don't have sink bump out works really well. The smooth counter line really lets your hood and backsplash shine.

Congratulations!

• kittenkat_2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. I still can't believe that this is my kitchen.

flwrs n co, I will definitely post an update re: landing space. This issue is a big reason why I went with an oven that had full extension racks.

Maddie_2010, I knew granite wasn't for me, just too busy and I loved the soapstone was a little different and had character to it. Because there are so few kitchens with cherry cabinets and soapstone, I was worried about how it would all come together, but I think it turned out great. The marble so far is a breeze to take care of. It was sealed using nano technology?

• missstella
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is so wonderful!

I'm planning similar finishes with cherry cabinets. Can you give some details on your cabinet knobs and pulls? pictures would be great! I'm so jealous. I've still got months to go...

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Truly lovely.
    Thanks for posting these images.
    ~boxerpups

• kittenkat_2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

missstella - The cup pulls are Century Hardware Apac in ORB and the lower cabinet knobs are Century Apac 1 1/4 knobs. Upper cabinets are Restoration Hardware round glass knobs
    Amerock European bar pull on the trash door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cup Pull

• gneebee
    13 years ago

Oh, how beautiful! I'm so excited b/c I just got a call YESTERDAY from my cabinet maker saying that he's got my cherry kitchen cabinets built and set up, ready for me to come "walk thru" today! I've had white cabinets with an oak floor since 1984 and am switching to cherry and keeping the same oak floor. 'Have been nervous about how it will look with so much stained wood. You've made my day and also inspired me!

Question: Do you find one recessed light above your sink adequate lighting at night? I'm finding that I need more light as I age (55 now). My GC has enouraged a pendant over the sink, but I like your recessed light b/c it doesn't block the view.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Oh, man, you're gonna miss those cows!

JK! :-)

The house looks fabulous! I love the colors you chose. What is on the walls in the living room? It's really a nice shade.

Very well done!

• mikomum
    13 years ago

I just love it. I love the simplicity, the cherry, the windows. It just feels 'right'.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen!! I also think it is one of those kitchens that will still be gorgeous in 20 years, which is a testament to all of your wonderful classic choices. Thanks for sharing!

• julieste
    11 years ago

I am looking at having a mix of soapstone and marble countertops in my kitchen. Now that you've lived with both for a couple years, do you have any comments? Thanks.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Kitten:
    It's really really gorgeous! I love how the white subway pops out at you--so crisp and clean.