Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

Our new house is finished! My white kitchen...

nini804
12 years ago

Hi Gardenweb friends!

You all have been so kind and I have learned so much from this site! I have been off-line the past month as we have been moving in to our new custom home. I joined GW this past winter, after our plans had been finalized by our architect...but I have incorporated so much from here into my finishes! We have a kitchen that is open to our breakfast room and family room, with a small butler's pantry between the kitchen and formal dining. I call the layout a "broken L with an island because I thought the architect was very cleaver to make the "corner" a little office space that also has the door to the pantry in it. This way, there is no "dead corner" in the kitchen. Maybe some people just starting could use this idea! :)

Anyway, here are the details:

Appliances: all KitchenAid, except for the Sharp MW drawer

in the island. Range is 36" dual fuel, with a

griddle.

Cabinets: Mid-Continent, maple painted white, with soft

close drawers and doors. We chose all wood

construction.

Perimeter counters: Honed Carerra marble

Island top: Dark walnut, with a mineral oil finish

Floors: 5" wide white oak, stained 75% jacobean, 24% dark

walnut.

Lighting: Pendants, Quiozel, I think. Breakfast chandy is

Overstock.com!

Things I love so far: 1. Soft close!! Love!! Although we have it on all the drawers in the house, we only did the doors on the kitchen and butler's pantry cabs. Wish we had done it everywhere.

2. KA dishwasher and range...both of these have been wonderful so far, DW is so quiet and cleans really well. Range and oven are very easy to use and have nice, consistant heat. Plus, I think very pretty! :)

3. MW drawer...so awesome, love it to pieces!

4. Under cab lights...never had these before, we have them on a dimmer, they are wonderful.

5. Walnut top...everyone who visits swoons over it...it is a wonderful, warm surface.

Things I DON'T love:

1. Fridge! Counter-depth french door is awful! We had to buy an auxiliary fridge for the garage, and I am contemplating adding a fridge drawer to the island.

2. The distance from the range wall to the island seems a scooch too big, I think it is 48". I could have moved the island a few inches closer to the range.

I will do a seperate post about my experience with honed vs. polished marble (I have polished in the master bath.) There are pros and cons to each, I have found.

Anyway, Nini's kitchen!

Comments (112)

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey, our front doors were custom made by Clark Hall Doors in Charlotte. They are made of mahogany, and stained. Someone also asked about my subway backsplash...actually, those are just the most basic white subways! The "chair rail" pieces that frame the herringbone pattern over the range were more, but everything else was totally basic! It was nice, for this one thing...what I liked actually wasn't the most expensive thing for a change! Thanks again for everyone's kind comments...this is such a great forum, none of my IRL friends are TKO, it is nice to "talk" to people who get it

• laurielou177
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen. Question about the walnut countertop - I've been going back and forth about whether to waterlox or mineral oil. Are you just using mineral oil, or a mix w/beeswax? How often are you treating the top?

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Hi Nini,

Congratulations! Your kitchen, as well as the rest of your home is just gorgeous.

I would love to know more about your island lighting. I think you said somewhere that your ceilings are 10'. What size are the 2 large pendants? How high from the countertop are they? We are trying to figure out what to put over our planned island - something to look good, and give light without blocking the view. Your's look great. Thanks.

• cindyann
    12 years ago

Wow, it's just beautiful! I love your entire home. Could I be so bold as to ask about that lovely dining set in your eat in kitchen? I've been looking for something just like it.

• Liz
    12 years ago

Stunning! Love your lighting!!!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is just gorgeous. In fact every room you showed is gorgeous too. Enjoy your new home.

• clooney161
    12 years ago

Nini,

Can you tell me what size sink you used and how much clearance you have behind it (from back end of sink reveal to wall)

Thanks!

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

A very gracious home, so beautiful. I love everything you did. I really love your dining room drapes and how everything is not overly done. It looks so warm and lovely and inviting, great job!!! The kitchen is gorgeous.

• houseful
    12 years ago

What a beautiful home! Congratulations on a job well-done!

• neesie
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh! Your entire home is lovely! I hope you have many, many happy years there.

• TracyO
    12 years ago

So gorgeous. If you have a party in that amazing kitchen you should post pics!

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

I literally took a breath when I saw your kitchen. It is STUNNING!!!! (As is your whole house.) Simply gorgeous and perfectly designed. Love, love, love it!! I think I would just wander around the house all day in awe at the beauty of each and every room if I lived there! Enjoy!!!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I am so glad this got moved to the front page, I missed the original post... I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have done! The kitchen is wonderful,(oh that island is a slice of heaven) the front door what a statement. The entire home has the feel of classic, timeless elegance. It will never be out of style and has wonderful "bones". I honestly would feel so comfortable there. Enjoy - Enjoy - Enjoy!!!

• Susan
    12 years ago

swoon, thud.
    i just love it, especially those marble countertops and your inset pantry.

• irishcreamgirl
    12 years ago

I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I remember your kitchen cabs when you were asking whether to put knobs on the ones that do not open above the stove. I think it looks great without them.

I second what cjc123 said. Well crafted timeless elegance.

Enjoy your beautiful home (both inside and out.)

• jg1126
    12 years ago

LOVE your house! Beautiful job!
    Would you mind sharing some of your other paint colors? - family room & master bedroom.

Thanks!

• marquest
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Every house I have remodeled I have put in a white kitchen because it looks so clean. You have done a great job throughout.

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

Ok, your kitchen (and house) is the most beautiful I have seen on here!!

LOVE the marble, looks like some warm beiges throughout, makes it so unique!
    and what a nice surprise seeing that beautiful wood countertop.

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, y'all are so nice! I just saw this and wanted to answer some questions I think I missed.
    Clooney- our sink is 28x16 and 12" deep. I can't find a ruler, but it looks like there is @ 6" of counter between the sink and the wall.

Jg1126- the paint in the kitchen, master bedroom and family room is all the same, SW Lattice.

Cindyann- the dining set in the breakfast area is not a set. The chairs are just PB Napoleon chairs that made the cut from our previous home. The table was ordered from Nest Furnishings in Fort Mill SC...it comes in several different finishes. Our previous breakfast table did not "make the cut!" lol!

Thank you again for all of your very kind comments...this is such a great community!

• atd_oc
    12 years ago

What a beautiful house, I can only imagine the memories that are going to be made there.

It seems that people always congregate in the kitchen and yours will sure be perfect for that. Also, I can imagine the holiday turkey feast being prepared in your lovely spacious kitchen and enjoyed in your new dining room. I sure hope you will enjoy it to it's full potential.

You did a wonderful job with all the details, colors and layout.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

Nini,
    Your house is so damn gorgeous! Do you happen to know what height your ceilings are? And what height your Upper cabinets are before the molding? We have fairly high ceilings in our kitchen (105") and I am trying decide between taking the cabs all the way to the ceiling (with stacked gas uppers) or doing something like you have. I am typically drawn to the photos of cabinets to the ceiling, but yours look just perfect as they are and it would save me a few pennies, I think ;-)
    Thanks!

• dermnp
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful! That first picture is amazing. Is that your front door with the dark trim, I love how it matches the stairs. I would stand in the spot and stare everyday, it looks like a picture out of a magazine.

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Westtoeast....our ceilings are 10' and the cabs are 42"...the stacked trim is 9". I liked the look of all the way to the ceiling, too, but it did cost more and there is no way my 5'2" self would have been able to access anything without a fireman's ladder or scaffolding! :) I am still drawn to photos of cabs that go all the way up, though!

Thanks, Dermp...that is our front door.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Nini804, I love the look of the high ceilings and the way you added the extra crown molding type of trim. My ceiling is only 10' high but I love the look of high ceilings which bring openness to a room. Again, your kitchen is gorgeous. I am only 4'10" so with me wanting 36" high cabinets, I will need a tall ladder to read the top shelf. I already use a ladder for the top shelf on my 30" cabinets.

Like dermnp says, your home looks like it just came out of a magazine since it is so gorgeous!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen as I have already said a time or two:) i need to make an important decision this weekend....to tung oil or seal my mahagony wood island top. Its seems to me there are pros and cons to both choices. I know you have yours oiled and mentioned you are considering having it waterloxed or something along those lines. Would you be willing to share why? Just curious if its aesthetic reasons or function. I am leaning towards starting with oil, knowing ts much easier to put a finishing coat on it than remove it. I guess my main concern with an oiled top is staining. More than once my kids have made themselves pbj sandwiches, which is nice they are independant, but finding strawberry jam on the counter ...well, leaves a mark:) i do this the fact that mahagony is darker might make stains less noticeable, but dont want to bank on that. So...any thoughts nini?

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Editing my post above: I meant my ceiling is only 8.25' hight. I guess I was reading your post and 10" rang in my brain. I WISH my ceiling was 10 feet high. I have a cathedral ceiling in the family room next to the kitchen and I love the spacious feel but the builder made the kitchen's ceiling low.

• taggie
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!! The floors and the wood island top against your white cabinets and backsplash are absolutely stunning.

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, MissyV- the reason I think I am going to change the finish is mostly aesthetic...the oiled finish is a tad on the rustic side, beautiful-but not exactly the vibe I was going for. Functionally, it has been fine, no staining, but it does get dry feeling if you wipe it with a damp cloth. The monthly oiling is no big deal, but don't put the newspaper or the kid's homework directly on it..,it will become translucent! Let me know any other questions!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply nini. The oily homework paper comment might be enough to steer me away from the oiled finish.

I will go look tomorrow, pray I make a decision!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

Nini, not sure if you still follow this thread, but if so, can you tell me what model/brand fireplace is in your family room? it looks to be the perfect size and look that i am going for. I am hoping it is a direct vent gas fireplace!

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi michoumonster...I just saw this. Our fireplace is currently set up as wood burning, with a gas starter...but we are going to get logs and make it just gas because I don't want that mess all over my marble! So basically, right now it is a firebox connected to a chimney...is it the surround and mantle/overmantle that you are interested in? The mantle and trim were done by a carpenter on site, and the stone yard just cut the marble to the right size per code. I do remember it was a pain getting the marble...it wasn't from the same slabs as my c-tops because it needed to be the same (or close to it) thickness as the hardwoods so hearth area would be flush with the floor. I didn't want a raised hearth in there. I hope I answered your questions!

• NataliaB
    12 years ago

Hi Nini, I absolutely love your kitchen. We are building right now and in the process of making all of these important decisions! We plan on a very similar look to your kitchen, including a walnut island top. Our cabinet maker uses Signature custom wood tops from NC. When I spoke to them they suggested using a "conversion varnish" over waterlox, although they do offer all three (mineral oil, waterlox, and varnish). Have you changed yours yet and what did you choose? Do you (please) have pictures?!?!
    Also a side note, did you ever post about your thoughts on honed versus polished marble in the kitchen/bathroom? Thank you so much!!!

Breezy...if you are reading this, I can't wait to see your island top as well!!!
    Thank you!

• 64reno64
    12 years ago

Nini, or anyone who might know...I love the herringbone above the range, and I'd like to do the same thing. I see that its a 36 inch range (as is mine). Is the hood also 36? Just trying to figure out whether the proportions are the same.
    Also, does that chair rail used as a border have corner pieces? Do they even exist? Or were they cut to form corners. Thanks. Im going to do this with Grazia rixi tiles, hopefully.

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

Hi Nini, darn! i was hoping your fireplace was a gas direct vent. i cannot have a"real" fireplace here in CA, so i have to look for one that just gas burners behind glass with fake logs. but yours looked so real and lovely, but i guess because it is real! thanks for your info though!

• hollypeawdc
    12 years ago

Hi Nini! Your home looks absolutely gorgeous! Do you mind telling me the wall paint color you used in your family room? Looks so bright and beautiful. Thanks in advance!

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Nini, your house is absolutely gorgeous! Is the butler's pantry done in the DR paint color of SW Grecian Ivory? Thanks.

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

• nini804
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arapaho, it is Grecian Ivory, like the dining room. I decided that space related more to the dining room than the kitchen, basically because it is just entertaining storage, there is no sink, no appliances, etc...so it got the dining room paint color. Thanks for all of the kind comments!

• atd_oc
    12 years ago

I could move right in and not change a thing. I hope that you indeed do love to cook and entertain so that you can enjoy all the planning and decisions that had to come together for your final kitchen.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Nini - on your first post, you said you'd do a separate post about honed and polished marble. Pros and cons to both. Have you done that and if not, would you do one or send me an email. We have chosen statuetto white marble for our island and I plan to go with honed (after testing polished). I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

nini- I see people complaining about clear glass pendants being too glaring, etc. What's your take? : )

• suziesuesue
    11 years ago

Nini - Can you tell me your feature wall color in the master bedroom? It looks blue-ish to me, not like SW Lattice. TYIA!

• jlee2012
    11 years ago

Nini, I am ordering my mid continent white cabinets in two weeks and would love to know the name of the cabinet style you used in your kitchen. It is stunning.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Hi Nini:
    Your kitchen is amazingly beautiful!! I would love to see even more photos of the details!

Did you do a post on the honed vs polished marble? Would love to read about your experience!!!

• malorin83
    8 years ago

Would you share with me your floorplan? It's just what I am looking for but cannot seem to find anywhere :(

• Gina Crandall
    5 years ago

Beautiful home!!! Can you please share details regarding subway tiles in kitchen? Love the color.

Thank you,

Gina

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Love this house and kitchen. Tasteful, stylish, perfect.

• Carla Semancik
    4 years ago

Hi there. Beautiful Kitchen. I am considering mid-continent cabinets. How are yours holding up? Would you recommend them?

• Amber
    2 years ago

Pretty! What color are your cabinets? Love Grecian ivory! How do you like it now?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022