Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnesackneback

OT: Who are we? Follow Up

agnesackneback
16 years ago

I do not believe the follow up has been posted since the thread reached it's max post. And I know there are some people who haven't posted, such as moi.

I loved reading about all the interesting lives you all are leading. Climbing Mt Everest.... How much cooler can you get?

Here I go with my short tid bit....

My name is really Heather. Agnes Ackneback was the nickname my grandfather gave me when I was little. There's a whole story behind the name. Don't really remember it, but I do know Agnes had a sister named Lucy Waffleoosle or something just as silly.

I think I'm the youngest person on the site. I'm 23 years old. An on and off again vegetarian. At the moment a college drop out working as an Accounts Payable clerk for one of the largest car dealership on the West Coast. Maybe in a few years I'll go back to school and become a grade school teacher.

Engaged to a gorgeous 24 year old mechanic/shop manager. All the ladies love his curly golden locks. He's about twice the size of me. I'm 5'4" and around 130 lbs. He's 6'4" and around 300lbs. I love my big teddy bear. We've also been together since prom night. Set a wedding date last January but that was post-poned due to the house. So now, we don't know when the big day is gunna happen.

Last November, we bought my grandma's 1957 small cookie cutter ranch house in Midway City, Ca (most people think it's Huntington Beach). She and my grandfather assumed a loan in 1967 for $27,000. My car is worth that much! Anyways, didn't get to start demo until February. That's when my grandma found herself a nice brand new smaller 3 bedroom 2 bath mobile home in a senior community down the street. She's much happier there not having to worry about the upkeep of the yard. But I'm sure she feels sad when she sees how the yard is now....practically dead. But once we're done she and my grandpa (god rest his soul) will be proud.

We're getting there. Drywall was put up 2 weeks ago and we were primering last week. I thought it would go a lot faster, but boy am I always wrong. We were supposed to start tiling the hall bathroom this past weekend, so we could move in to our work in progress. But that didn't work out to well, so we need to hire a pro. And a cheap one at that. So, in the meantime, we're still living in a rental in Fountain Valley with his mother and his little brother and little sister, our 2 year old mutt cat, Kinx, and the 8 year old rhodesian ridgeback mix family dog, Sugar. We're gunna be taking Sugar with us. I'm her favorite person.

Here's a pic of my handsome boy:

{{gwi:1956565}}

And my baby girl:

{{gwi:1956566}}

Comments (34)

• debo_2006
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for continuing this post Agnes.

I mean no disrespect to anyone posting pictures of their pet(s), but what about a picture of yourself too, just like the original poster began this initial thread - including her pic. It's always nice to place a face with a name/bio, especially after chatting for months, years, and I'm sure most of you will agree with that.

Everyone has probably enjoyed seeing/meeting the people who have posted a pic of themself already, so let's see more human pics of all our nice Internet buddies. Thanks.

• spinmom
    16 years ago

Hi all,

It's been really fun reading about you all and I thought that I should chime in and "reveal" myself! I wish that I had found this website before I started my kitchen remodel and frankly, I wish I had thought about this remodel for a long while rather then jumping in. DH had been nudging me to change the kitchen but I thought it was just fine. A few monthes ago, I realized that we were going to be hosting an event at our home with all of our family and friends (including all those out of town friends that never-ever fly in except for big events) so I thought that if ever I were going to remodel the kitchen it would need to be done by then....so off I went!

We've lived in South Jersey for the past 10 yrs (almost). Before moving here, we lived in Manhattan with 2 young kids and me working in Finance. I came to realize that for me, you can do it all, just not at the same time. So, we moved down here as a life style change and I now stay home with my 3 kids (ds just started high school and my dd's are in 7th grade and 3rd grade). So before I plan my next career move, my goal is to get the kitchen done!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Unfortunately, I've been gone for about 2 months, and didn't see the original thread. Those of you who've been here for a couple of years, and have spent time on the conversations side of the forum pretty much know everything about me, but for those who don't, here goes.

I'm the oldest of 6 (4 sisters and a brother), and I grew up in Orange, Ct.. My father and grandfather were both tile contractors, so I've been in the business as long as I can remember. As I say on the front page of my site, I've been doing tile full time since July 1980, but I set my first tile in 1967 when my father built the house where we grew up. I also have a sister who's a commercial tile project manager out of an office in North Haven, Ct., so when I say tile's in my blood, I mean it very literally.

Our family company closed in 1990 due to many factors, including my dad and his partner passing away within 6 months of each other 5 years prior, as well as my sister and me both being new to the business, and the recession st the time delivering the final blow. After that, I moved to south Florida for a few years, and went to work for a contractor who specialized in custom high end installations (to this day, one of the best, most conscientious contractors I've met-- a guy named Chris Bryant of Tileworks, Inc, based out of Homestead, Fla.), and that's when I fell in love with my job. The money was great before, but custom work became my passion, and has been ever since. it was like learning the trade all over again, because it was completely different from anything I'd done to that point, and I put every effort into becoming the best at it that I could be. I since moved back to New England, living here in southern Maine for the last 10 years or so, where I worked for the biggest showroom in the area as one of two of their top custom installers for about 5 years, and then went off on my own, and have been since.

When I first got on line, I found a site pretty much by chance called floorstransformed.com .It's a forum specifically for ceramic and stone tile, and I'd never seen anything like it. The first day I went in, I hit every single thread that had posted for about the prior 2 weeks. To me, it was kind of like a test of my knowledge and ability to address problems that pop up in real job situations. In each post, I posted my name as the url for my website, which immediately got me banned!! LOL I had the good fortune at the time of having two different servers in the house. My wife used the local broadband, while I used dial-up, so I could take it with me when I was on the road, so I was able to get back to the site on my wife's computer. I emailed the webmaster and explained that my site wasn't competition to his, and that I felt I could reall add to his site. He let me back in with a warning not to post the website as I had again. That was my introduction into some of the problems people have, and it really opened my eyes. Maybe I led a sheltered life, but I had no idea that there were people who would take advantage of homeowners the way I've seen since I've been in the forums, and it kind of gave me a new mission in life-- to put an end to it.... as much as I can, anyway. My next place was John Bridge's forum, where I've learned as much as I've taught. As for Gardenweb, I actually stumbled across this place while doing a search on a product that I went all out against called Stand N Seal. Someone had posted a thread in this forum about it, and it showed up in the Google search, so I immediately registered and posted to let whoever it was know just how dangerous a product it was, and I've been here ever since, trying to make sure that people don't get taken by unscrupulous contractors and inadequate products. I spend most of my off time, either helping my wife with her custom doll outfit business, or tounament bass fishing, which is what I live for!!

Here's me with an ELDERLY gentleman (I know this'll get back to him) named John Bridge:

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Hi Bill! Haven't seen you around in ages. Glad to know you're still around. Relieved, too, since I'll be needing to plan my backsplash in a couple of months.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Hey Bill, welcome back! I've missed you!

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Welcome back Bill. You were missed.

Below is the original thread in case you (& others) haven't seen it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

debi-- thanks for the link! I didn't realise how many of you live around my "old stomping grounds"! I noticed one person who said they were from Guilford, Ct.. I've been one town over from you for the last two months! I've been working in Hartford, but I was staying at my sister's house in Branford. (I was down there doing some work for her, on one of her projects, being that it's so busy down there, no qualified guys were available, so she put me up for the duration)

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad to see more posts and that this thread hasn't completely died, like I thought it had.

debi 2006 - I'd rather people see my pets than me. They're much cuter. Lol.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

bump

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That bump didn't last too long. I went looking for another thread and came across this one, again.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

well, since I'm new I'll jump into this. I'm michelle - I'm only a buffett girl part time. That's Buffett, like Jimmy Buffett, not buffet like in 9.99 all you can eat. The rest of the time I'm a sahm mom, I used to work for an online message board company but left that job in the spring. (hence my extreme frustration with this piece of crap software that they're using here) I have 2 kids and we live in Central Ma.
    Things I'm passionate about are computers, the Red Sox, Patriots, Ogunquit Beach in Maine, Disney World and Finding a cure for Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes and helping and educating other parents who have children with Type 1. :)

• chinchette
    16 years ago

Bill, I'm REALLY suprised to learn that you grew up in Orange. I grew up in Woodbridge. How old are you? Did you go to Amity?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I went to Amity JUNIOR high in Orange. After that I went to Nortre Dame in West Haven, and graduated in 75. I knew most of the 75 graduating class from Amity, though. Matter of fact, I still have family ties there in Orange. My brother Jamie is the state firemarshal out of the Orange office-- just bought a house in Woodbridge. :-)

• chinchette
    16 years ago

I went to Amity Jr high but was two years ahead of you. So what do you know- we were in the same school! I also went to Amity Sr High.

• glad
    16 years ago

well, bill, if you had just stayed in orange, you could do my tile work!!! i'm in stamford.but i grew up, and still am in my heart, a philly girl. :)

• yanalg
    16 years ago

we lived in west Haven about 6 years ago while DH was postdocing at yale. Corner of Elm and 4th Avenue!

(I posted in the OT while back)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Small world!! When I first got out of the navy, my very first apartment wason 3rd Avenuse, about 100 feet up from Elm St., in one of the blockhouses there!! Heck, this almost feels like a reunion!! :-)

chinchette-- I'm sure you knew a couple of people in my neighborhood then-- Neil Kravitz, Robby Hubinger, John Sullivan?

• chinchette
    16 years ago

Negatory Bill. I just looked for them in my yearbook- couldn't find them. I was class of 73. But our paths have probably crossed.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Well, John was 74, but I thought the other two were both 73. Might've been 72.

• chinchette
    16 years ago

Bill, I sent you another e-mail yesterday, don't know if you got it.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I did. My email is screwing up right now-- to the point where one line is typing over another and all kinds of other garbage, which is why I'm sort of going off topic here in the thread. I will pass on the hellos to Henry and Shiela. :-)

• dcwesley
    16 years ago

I too will introduce myself. Hi! My name is Debbie. I have lurked around here and the appliance forum for two years, but in the last few weeks have decided it is time to get serious about planning our total makeover of our 1958 kitchen which is literally falling apart at the seams. I have lived in this house since I was 1 year old. My husband and I bought it from my parents when we got married in 1980.

I am an IT Director for a global manufacturing firm in Indianapolis. My husband is service foreman at a Chrysler dealership. We have 3 children - a 24 year old daughter who graduated college a year ago and is working at the same company as I am; she is still living with us, but will likely move to California next year to be with the love of her life. We have a 22 year-old son in the Air Force, currently stationed in Tacoma, WA. While we wish he was home for Thanksgiving, we are glad he is safe in the US, having returned from his Middle East tour in the spring. Our youngest son is 19, a civil engineering freshman at University of Cincinnati.

In my "spare" time I am passionate about family history / genealogy. We like to camp. I also still volunteer as a 4-H dog agility leader.

I have just recently started a blog following my kitchen planning odyssey. It is primarily meant so my sister and a couple of friends can follow along and offer me some advice, as well as giving me a place to remember all the cool things I have found here. I have linked to a number
    of photos on this site. I hope that is ok etiquitte wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Debbie's Kitchen Adventure

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie, Glad to have another newbie here too! I have a blog as well..feel free to view

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything and the Kitchen Sink

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bump. For the people who didn't get a chance.

• xoxosmom
    16 years ago

Wow. Small World this is Buffetgirl. I know you. LOL, at least as much as a person knows anyone on forums. I too have a child with Type 1 diabetes. I am Adinsmom *smile* I knew when we conversed about cabinet doors you not only had great taste but seemed oddly familiar.

I am also a newbie to Gardenweb. I stumbled on to it when I was looking for appliance recommendations. I picked the name xoxosmom because when I was pregnant I was a member of Ivillage's parentsoup and that was my name over there. I am married to a great guy and we have 3 children, our youngest Adin has type 1 diabetes (as mentioned). I am a sahm who interests are home decor, fashion, photography, sewing, cooking, reading and finding a cure for Type 1 diabetes. I also have a degree in Elementary Education.

Hi everyone, Thanks for all the friendly advice and suggestions.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

bump

• jayav
    16 years ago

Alright...I'll bite...

My name is Jaya and I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I bought my current home...my first home when I moved to Redmond some 3 years ago. Have pretty much been remodelling various areas of my home since then. Started with the master and guest bathrooms and am now focussed on the kitchen.

I guess I realized how TRO (Totally remodelling obsessed) I am/seem when a UPS driver I had not seen in some 15 months came by to drop of some faucets I just purchased for my basement bath and exclaimed that he could not believe I was still remodelling....the last time he had come by, he was dropping off sinks for the master bath...LOL...

Anyway, glad I found this site...have learnt so much through all your experiences and choices.

The pride of my life...my 2 year old rescue dog Yogi. Here goes a pic my sweetie and me...

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

I'll go next. I'm new here and just starting a partial kitchen remodel. I had this house built just over 9 yrs ago. I have no idea what I was thinking with the kitchen...sterile! I'm throwing out the corian, white applicances (replacing them with Granite and SS appliances) and the white backsplash. As for the new backsplash, well its making me nuts. I am bouncing glass tile or going all the way up with granite.

About me, as my name probably hints to you my name is Debbie. I'm married (22 yrs) with 2 sons, 17 and 20. My oldest attends Indiana University. The youngest is still in high school. I've been a SAHM since having my boys, and no desires to change that. I have 3 dogs, a cocker spaniel, miniature daschund, and a pomeranian mix. TOO many dogs!

And Bill, I absolutely love reading your posts! I wish you lived here.

Sorry, but I don't do pictures on the net. I'm not sure why because I'm sure nobody would use my head or my body on another body or head, but I don't.

I love this place! There are so many beautiful kitchens to look at. I've spent some time in the Bathroom forum too.

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

My turn! I've been at GW for about a year now...my DH is very upset that I stumbled upon this site (it has resulted in many "upgrades" that I never would've known about).

I'm turning 30 this year (yayyy!) and we were just blessed with our 2nd child a couple of months ago. I do believe our builder is glad to be dealing with me NOW, but not while I was pregnant and hormonal. We're moving out of state to be closer to family...but leaving many amazing, close friends...and it'll be a hard move. The house better be fabulous to make up for it!

We have a big mutt of a dog (a lab & poodle mix) and we made our laundry room huge to accomodate her and a big fluffy dog bed. What else....? I'm one of those semi-crunchy, hippy mamas...I nurse my babies, sometimes co-sleep, and make my own baby food while wearing a little one in a sling. I'm hoping that my new kitchen will be a popular spot in the house...with an island for baking...a spot for the girls to eat breakfast and do homework...and lots of space to just be together.

Here's the house...almost completed

• tkln
    16 years ago

My name is Lucy, I've been a GW member for a few years now, but just don't post as often as I used to (though I check the site every day!). We finished our kitchen about two years ago, but now it looks like we might be moving out of state and hopefully building a new home, so I've been continuously researching for the new kitchen.

I'm 35, been engaged for 3 years (don't ask!), and we remodeled my mom's home in NYC, thinking we were going to live there permanently...well, one thing led to another and now we might be pursuing the dream of moving to VT. Mom will most likely come with us, so we will sell my childhood home - hopefully the kitchen will help sell it!!

• armomto3boys
    16 years ago

Interesting thread! I don't like to share too much detail on the web, but I'll share a little.

My name is Le-Ann. I have a background in education. I'm now a sahm. I've been married for 15 yrs to a wonderful man. I turn 40 soon! How did that happen so quickly?? We once owned a poultry farm, raising for Tyson. Sooo glad were out of that! We are building our dream home and hopefully forever home.

I discovered GW while searching for some info on building a house. I'm so glad to have found such a great place! And I know without a doubt that my house will be much better (more efficient, more convenient, a better plan) now than if I had not. I've learned so much about what is available, about picking a granite fabricator, and so many other things. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Here's a pic of our family...

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BUMP

• dd70
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone
    My name is Denise and I've only been a member here since 11/07. I found the site probably a month prior while searching for appliance ratings and I've been hooked since.

Im 38 married to a great guy who is finishing up building me my dream kitchen and we have a 17 year old daughter. We live in NJ close to the beach. For the past four years I have worked 2-3 days a week cleaning/cooking for a very nice man. I have been working from home doing data entry (although this board distracts me from getting much done..lol). I am soon going back to office work 4 days a week and cleaning for my friend 1 day so I will officially be a Full Timer again, not sure if Im happy or sad about that. We have a little pomeranian named Nugget, we love him to death!! I never realized how much a pet becomes really part of the family, I sometimes expect him to answer back when I talk to him.

anyway im so glad i found this site, everyone here is very nice and helpful. It's great to get opinions and different ideas from everyone.

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago

I am, of all things, a construction defect atty, usually representing homeowners suing developers. (Before you ask, I don't often do remodel cases because homeowners are usually better off working things out unless they have a truly unscrupulous contractor -- but a lot of contractors just won't work with me for that reason alone.) I am thus a terrible snob about concrete and floors :)

I recently settled a large case, realized that every single appliance in my kitchen was non-functional to a degree, and decided that I deserved a new kitchen. I fell in love with azul macaubas granite, obsessed about finding the right stone without blowing my budget, scoured the internet for pix of azul macaubas in kitchens, and thus found this site (thank you, theresab, cloudswift, and others).

As my tastes evolved I realized that even though I've always lived in the suburbs, I'm a country chick inside. Thus, my dream kitchen has a farmhouse sink, beadboard touches, and schoolhouse lighting, along with that drop dead gorgeous azul macaubas. I want my kitchen to have a lot of blue without putting that color on every single cabinet, floor, ceiling, walls, etc. The first thing I did in starting the remodel project was to find a Thermador stove with blue knobs on ebay for half price. I'm making decisions, with the help of this site, on faucets, lighting, and floor tile while waiting for cabinets to arrive.

In my spare time, I trail run and hike, quilt, and raise teenage boys.