Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

distance of disposal switch from sink

Marie Tulin
10 years ago

Another annoyance: The big window over the sink and its frame pushed the switch for the disposal too far to the right.
The disposal switch is two big steps to the right from faucet. It sounds slight, but in terms of body mechanics, it is just wrong. I'm pretty sure I can't install a switch under the window, closer to the faucet because of electrical /plumbing codes.
Ideas?
Just deal with it and probably get used to it in a week?
I think an under sink switch would be an even bigger pita.

Who's supposed to think of these things when designing a kitchen, anyway?

Comments (13)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Get an air switch set into your counter.

• willtv
    10 years ago

It might be helpful to post a picture, but from your description, it seems that you may be able to do what we did.
    Here's a not so great shot.

>
    The GD switch is wall mounted to the left of the sink about 20" from the faucet.
    It is GFCI protected and meets code.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for both ideas. I'll go measure and take a photo tomorrow. And look up "air switch".
    idabean

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Another vote for the airswitch.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What's involved in retrofitting it? The garbage disposal is waiting for the electrician. How would the wiring under the sink need to be altered? I'd sure look for another place besides the countertop to install it.
    What a terrific idea!
    Of course a gfi could be used near water. But it sounds like the air switch may be easier.
    We don't have electricity in the kitchen yet, so this stuff has to wait till morning.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

If your GD is the kind that plugs into an outlet, all you have to do is plug in the air switch power supply, then the GD plugs into that. Then install the button somewhere and hook up the tubing. Very easy. The hardest part is getting a hole drilled in the counter.

I learned about them on GW, and we put one in the new kitchen. Love it! It's closer, more flexibility in where we placed it, and no wet hands using a switch. Plus one less thing to tile around.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Another vote for an air switch. You can find them at the local big box improvement store.

{{!gwi}}

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

if an outlet, it would be visible in cab. under the sink?
    Probably hardwired;all new construction.
    You know, this might solve another problem. I had the soap dispenser hole made on the wrong side (right), so the side lever faucet was installed lefty for more space Not only awkward for a right hander, but a recent broken left shoulder has curtailed my range of motion considerably, in all directions. I can't even reach the faucet left handed without leaning in.
    Use use soap dispenser hole for air switch! Restore faucet lever to right.! Keep soap under cabinent....or on sink.....no one will die, will they?

• peony4
    10 years ago

Yes, I would be happier with the air switch in the dispenser hole, and the faucet lever where you need it. You can just put your soap in a decorative decanter near your sink.

My GC at one point recommended a disposal switch under the sink mounted inside the cabinet (near the front along the frame). If the air switch doesn't work out, this may be another option. It would annoy me to no end to have your original option, with the switch steps away from the sink and running water.

Good luck with your solution.

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should add, the handle on left of faucet surprised me. I did not know my choice to have soap dispenser on right would create a problem. If it had been drilled 2 inches to right, no problem. Of course counter installer did not think of it either.
    I come home every day from a long hard day of work to MORE KITCHEN SURPRISES! (Picture Bozo the clown with huge lipstick smile)
    today it was the faucet and microwave.
    Marie

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice note, peony. I'm in need of a little tlc. Obviously, I'm also in need of good information and improved mistake-avoid radar which this forum supplies in astonishing and wonderful amounts.

I really do appreciate hearing that my concerns are valid. No matter how nice the GC is, there's something in the dynamic....maybe its a guy-woman thing....where I feel like I'm contending with a force stronger than I am. It just takes so much damn energy.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Marie, as an added note, I can't imagine how stressful this must be for you. I'm nearing the end of a kitchen reno, and I'm fortunate to work from home. My home office is down the hall from the kitchen, and the GC and installers simply yelled, "Hey, lady, can you come here a minute?" when placement decisions needed to be made.

Now, after all these on-the-spot decisions have been made, I can understand what you come home to each day, to decisions made by others. It's impossible for you to anticipate every single detail ahead of time, and your installer team is probably just going on what they've done in the past--whether it's right for your kitchen or not.

I have some friends who are embarking on a kitchen remodel in a couple months, and they both work full-time outside the home. I've started a list of details they need to communicate with their GC ahead of time, based on my experiences. Yours here will be added to the list.

Has your range hood been installed? If not, decide on the height you want it to be now. I'm tall, so I wanted some good clearance. Backsplash? Determine where you want it to begin and end with respect to your countertops. I was surprised at how many questions were raised, even though my bs is simple subway tile. Cabinet hardware? Be sure to specify where each one should be placed. These were my biggies.

Good luck--hang in there. I bet your lipstick is fabulous! ;-)

• Marie Tulin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Post deleted

This post was edited by idabean on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 6:47

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts