Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rtwilliams?

Posted by msrose (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 21:51

Do you have a close-up picture of your fireplace? It looks like you have the kind of stone I'd like to put on mine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rtwilliams?

The stone is called ledge stone from lowes. Easy DIY project.

Photobucket

o

Thank you so much! It's absolutely gorgeous! I want to replace my floors with tile/stone and I haven't decided if I want to go with gray tones or warm tones and it looks like the fireplace stone would look good with either. Can you also tell me what your wall color is. The whole room is so pretty, not to mention the little accent piece in front of the fireplace :)

o
one more question

Sorry, one more question. I'm not a big DIY person, so I'm trying to figure out if this is something I could tackle. Did you have to rent a stone cutter for this project?

o

The wall color is SW Khaki Shade, if you click on the photo you can see it in the other rooms of the house.

We used a friends wet saw to cut the ledge stone, it cut very easily. The construction adhesive is not the recommended installation method. Lowes recommended to use heavy duty tile mastic. I find tile mastic messy and didn't want it on the front of the stones since they have a rough texture.

If the fireplace surround had been much larger I probably would have hired it out. The tile guy gave us an estimate of $250 for the job. It took 2 of us 3 hours, one cutting and one sticking them on.

We started at the bottom and as we went up, if any started to slide we put a drywall screws under it to hold it in place until it dried. We left the screw in because they did not show. Good luck with your project!

My westie matches my decor :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here