Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janralix

Elkay e-granite kitchen sinks - any opinions?

janralix
12 years ago

We're considering Elkay's e-granite for a kitchen sink. We'll be using it under (an undermount) a granite such as santa cecilia, so think the bisque or mocha might look OK, but are mainly concerned with how durable the material is. Does anyone have one, and if you do, how do you like it? We're also considering Elkay's SS sinks, so we're trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• robbcs3
    12 years ago

awesome sink, good value, great material. Doesn't scratch, stain

• pinkgator
    12 years ago

I have an Elkay e-granite sink and a quartz sink that we have yet to install (mid-renovation). It is a flat finish, I almost think it looks and feels like plastic. But, I have heard/read really good things about it, so I do not know which we will go with. I did buy mine off of amazon.com, so I could have easy returns if I end up not using it. I will be interested to see the responses you get.

• cindyof4kids
    12 years ago

just put a Blanco Silgranite sink in with my kitchen redo..antracite color...have had it for a week...but I absolutely love it!!!! Way more than my stainless sink that it has replaced.

• pinkgator
    12 years ago

Cindy-

Does yours feel like plastic? Kind of like a utility/laundry sink? Do you have polished/shiny counters? Do you think the sink would look odd with polished counters?

• cindyof4kids
    12 years ago

I have the Super Single with the drain in the center...I think that is the right description ?...No!..I don't think it feels like plasttic...it seems to have little sparkley dots?(don't know if that's the right word? ) in it..but it is black...but not deep black.....I love the size..color....I have granite counters...Santa Cecilia ( cream/gold background with black veins and deep maroon spots )....I wanted a large size to put big pans in. Haven't had any issues with water spots at all either, and I haven't done anything special except wipe it witth soapy water after I have washed pans and we have hard water!..With 3 childrren at home that cook...it's already been submitted to hot temperatures and the opposite. If it holds up like it has so far...I am in love :)

• janralix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good to hear from ya'll - thanks. Not too glad to hear about the "plastic feel" of the e-granite - so now I'll check out the Silgranite. What I'd really like, however, is to hear from some long-term users of either material, or something similar. Ya'll have a nice day!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Jan--have you tried searching the forum for silgranit threads? There are many with longterm users commenting on their sinks.

Just a side story on Blanco vs. Elkay. I had two different people in two different trades tell me without my asking that their customers that were unhappy with their granite sinks had brands other than Blanco. Scratching, chips, staining, and whathaveyou were happening with other brands. Neither of these people had a stake in telling me that as I had already told both that I was purchasing my own sinks separately so they weren't going to get a sale. At the time, I was planning one Blanco and one Elkay. I found a way to make my cleanup sink bigger to get the Blanco instead of Elkay.

Also, I had both companies send me sample chips of their colors. Elkay was difficult to deal with and took about two weeks to get my chips. Blanco was easy to deal with, and I had my samples within three days. I liked the Blanco colors better too.

• elba1
    12 years ago

You can search for a thread I started in the early spring asking if the White Silgranite sink looks plastic-y.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

i have the kindred granite (made by franke)
    have had it for about 18 months now and love love love it
    does not feel or look like plastic
    cleans well even when we have left a tea bag on it by mistake. took some baking soda and some elbow grease and not a mark left to show
    I chose it over the blanco because of the colour. probably owuld have taken blanco if the sink i needed came in biscotti.
    however i am very happy with the kindred and would get another without hesitation

• zartemis
    12 years ago

A lot of stone vendors and other commercial products' categorization of granite/quartz/etc is arbitrary and bears only minor relation to what geologists would call granite, quartzite, granitoid, etc.

FWIW, geologically granite can be composed of over half quartz (most of the rest being feldspar).

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Blanco silgranite is not, IMHO, "plastic-y". It almost feels silky like a really good quality teflon pan.

Around here the fix seems to be in for Blanco over Elkay but YMMV. If possible you should try to find a store with them both to compare, they really are subtly, but truly, different.

I have a silgranite cascade, but not for the longterm info you're wanting. It's great that you're following breezy's advice and searching the archives, there's a lot there on this subject.

• shannonplus2
    12 years ago

I think Blanco has more patents, done more research, longer experience, more products, than Elkay and the other brands' composite sinks. I will link Blanco's press release. Of course it's their own press release, so it's going to brag, but nevertheless Silgranit seems to have some impressive credentials and specs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Silgranit II Press Release

• User
    9 years ago

I considered the Blanco sink but decided to go with Elkay because quartz (sink is 85% quartz) is far less porous than granite. I want a white sink and was worried about stains. Additionally it comes in a rectangular shape so if I ever want to replace it, it will be far easier to find a replacement. My granite countertops will be cut to the shape of the sink after all. I would have gone with the (better) quartz countertops too if they weren't so expensive. Lastly, it doesn't hurt that the sink costs about $100 less than the Blanco.

• kairig
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

frenchy63 Blanco sinks are non-porous, and the higher percentage of resin in the Blanco sinks plus the ceramic additives make them overall, more durable and stain resistant than the Elkay sinks.

• Amy Reese
    7 years ago

We are looking at both Blanco and Elkay granite/quartz sinks vs stainless. For those that have had a composite sink for a while, how are they holding up?

• watersedge10
    6 years ago

I was just looking up to see if there were any comments on the Elkay granite sink since we just finished building (moved in 6/17/17)

and my white sink is already stained. It does feel like a utility sink to the touch, and no cleansers I have tried lift the stains. It is brand new, so I am pretty unhappy. Anyone have tips on keeping it clean?

• florenceor
    6 years ago

try to put some bleach on the stain!

• crcollins1_gw
    6 years ago

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does a great job on my white Blanco Silgranite sink. It does get grimy, especially around the grates, and I don't clean as often as I should. But the Magic Eraser gets most everything, maybe a bit of Barkeeper's Friend for a really tough stain.

• watersedge10
    6 years ago

The only thing that effectively cleans my granite sink are the Mr. Clean magic erasers and elbow grease. When I bought the sink the salesperson led me to believe it was easy care, I find it to be a lot more work than my stainless sink, it is white and always looks spotty. I wouldn't buy it again, the stainless sink is a breeze to clean.

• bricej5
    6 years ago

We have had ours for a couple of months-highly recommend ordering the metal rack that fits in the bottom of the sink. Otherwise you are going to drop something and break it while washing dishes. Ours is the black granite-looks great but can tell we're going to have to use a good cleaner/sealer every week or so to avoid mineral deposits. Overall though, we're happy with it. Only thing I might change is that we got the one bowl sink so we use a large stainless steel bowl for washing up small things rather than run a whole sink full of water.

• PRO
    Elkay
    6 years ago

We offer quick and short ways to learn how to care and clean for your Elkay sink. Please see below and be sure to stay connected with us on social to learn more.

Care & Cleaning for Elkay Stainless Steel Sinks

Care & Cleaning for Elkay Quartz Sinks

Care & Cleaning for Elkay Fireclay Sinks

Please let us know if we can help answer any other questions.

Thank you,

ELKAY

• newsouthernbelle
    5 years ago

So what did everyone purchase - an Elkay or a Blanco? Months (or years later) are you happy with it?

I've had a Blanco Silgranite and liked it a lot but did find it got a little scratched (maybe because it was a lighter color - biscotti) And oddly enough, about 2 years after it was installed, somehow, it got cracked. To this day I have no idea how. Maybe the cleaning woman dropped the stove grates when she was washing them?!?!? I don't know. Blanco did send us a new replacement sink and although it was challenging finding someone to install it, we did and never had a problem for the next 5 years that we lived there.

New house now - doing a little kitchen updating and really considering going with an Elkay sink this time around but searching GardenWeb for some insight and others' experience.

• User
    5 years ago

I like our Elkay sink but it is white and does stain. I don’t use a Magic Eraser, I just pour bleach into the sink, wipe it down with a white dish rag and rinse it out with water. Doesn’t take any time at all and cleans right up. A stainless steel sink or a darker color would be easier to maintain. Hope this helps.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH