Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janralix

Retractable Pull-out/Pull-down Kitchen Faucets

janralix
12 years ago

We want pull-out or pull-down kitchen and prep sink faucets that automatically retract themselves into the base unit without one having to use two hands to feed the thing back in. We've seen some pull-outs/pull-downs in friends' houses but haven't seen any that retract automatically. We've also seen some online advertised as retractable, but wonder how retractable they really are. As we're sure you all know, samples set up in most showrooms are seldom mounted as they would be in a real kitchen, so we don't trust them as representative of real-life examples. We're sure you can tell our real question is: Are there any truly self-retracting pull-out/pull-down faucets out there that work as advertised? Thanks for your input and, hopefully, recommendations!

Comments (12)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

a weight on the hose is the most common way to ensure the hose retracts. These days almost ALL hose-based faucets have a weight on the hose.

another way is with a slinky spring on the hose. Some Grohe faucets have this. They work well when installed. Good luck finding a showroom with this installed.

--

another way to get the same advantages as a spray wand on a long hose that you pull out of the faucet's tube is to have a spray wand that can be moved around, without any hose under the countertop. Big springs around the flexible hose are one way. There are several other ways to have a spray wand that is moveable, without any hose under the counter..

• janralix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, uroboros5. We'll check it out.

Another comment I should have included: some of the pull-out/pull-down units seem to fit very loosely back into their base units. I would like to hear from anyone that has such a faucet that snugs back nice and tightly. Does the Simplice do that, uroboros5, or are we looking for something that does not exist?

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Instead of worrying about retracting, you could get something like:

Blanco Meridian Semi Professional Faucet

Kraus KPF-1602 (with two faucets in one)

I linked those two cause they're less expensive than most of the faucets that are in that style. If you have a bigger budget, check out the Hansgrohe Semi-Pro, Franke FF-1700 or KWC Systema.

• blubird
    12 years ago

I have the Delta Arabella pull-down. Many of the reasonably priced Delta faucets have the magnetic docking feature. They are easy to pull-down or guide back into place with one hand. As the head gets close the magnet will pull the head back where it belongs.

Helene

• janralix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

akchicago and blubird - We'll check those out - thanks!

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

Ditto the Delta faucets. We have the Leland single handle. It is weighted and has a magnet to retract it to the base, and it fits very snug.

• erinct
    12 years ago

janralix: YES! Moen came out with what they call the Reflex technology and I saw it work in person (although mine is yet to be installed!). It is amazing. All you have to do is let go of the pull down piece and it retracts on its own and fits snugly in place. You should really check it out. Prices are very reasonable! Here's a link where it's been discussed more. There are other threads too if you search Moen and Reflex and Gardenweb on google. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen Reflex Thread

• blubird
    12 years ago

Of course, everyone uses their faucets differently, but I'm glad my delta doesn't retract automatically. As I'd mentioned in another thread, I pull out my faucet and fill large stockpots, resting the head on the edge of the pot - using it as a pot filler. It frees up my hands to do something else. I also find that if I pull out the hose and wash out pots or whatever else needs to be washed, I get less splashing if the head is lower in the sink. I'd hate to fight against an automatic retraction feature. When I'm done, I just use my hand to push the faucet head back towards its dock where the magnet attracts it the last inch or so.

Helene

• erinct
    12 years ago

Great point blubird, about filling large pots! I hadn't thought of that (add it to the long list!), but I don't currently use my faucet in that way and I'll have a pot filler in the new kitchen, so hopefully it won't be an issue for me. Maybe Moen will come out with some type of locking function for those who do though!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I just got the moen reflex technology (brantford). I've been using it for about a week and I really love it. It has a weight on the hose that pulls it back in. So problems so far. One nice feature is that the black (spray/pause/resume) button can be turned so that it can be in the front or the back.

• janralix
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great stuff, everyone. Lots to consider, and we'll look at all those suggestions!

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living