Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springroz

Attn: Big, Fancy Kichen Owners

springroz
11 years ago

Please post all big, fancy kitchen reveals this week.

My wood is dry, and he thinks it will be about a week to make my countertops(YES, the whole thing), and I don't want a whole lot of competition when I get to finally post a reveal.

Thank you for your consideration of a small, plain kitchen person,

Nancy

Comments (29)

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

Huge grin on my mug right now, thank you!

• hags00
    11 years ago

Nancy - you aren't alone in the small and plain club! My galley is 9' long and 8' wide. I appreciate the small, plain reveals!

I don't call mine plain, I call it simple! If we used the word minimalistic we might be on the cutting edge......

• springroz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am so excited that I can't even spell kitchen!! I'm blaming the ipad...

Thanks y'all! It will still not be "finished" because I will not have any overhead lights. I cannot decide on anything to put over the table, and I will have to recover from the countertop trauma before some electrician comes to cut up my ceiling to put in the cans. I will, however have a BS, because I bought that FIRST!

Nancy

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

I love your sense of humor and look forward to seeing your kitchen!
    My dream house is now something much more compact than the big thing in which we raised our children.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

LOL!. (this should have come with a warning 'cause I have coffee dribbling down my shirt from laughing)

And now you know why my kitchen will never be posted. (and I'm techno challenged) Having said that - my kitchen is a vast improvement over what I had and it is perfect for me.

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

And you have a backsplash already? Please tell me you don't know my husband since we have had 3boxes of tile on our countertops for 11 months while I debate which one I like most....

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Funny. ;-) And a good idea.

Looking forward to seeing your kitchen!!!

• User
    11 years ago

That'll give you a week to track down a towel pig ;), thennnnn you'll be above all competition with your ki(t)chen ;) Thanks for the laugh!

• Mags438
    11 years ago

I wish more smaller kitchens were posted here, so I'm looking forward to your reveal.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

LOL, and there I was expecting to see a big, fancy kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Ha! Good one. Glad you are getting close to being finished. Looking forward to your reveal!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

LOL!! I thought the title was "for real", and was completely caught off guard. Too funny.

Can't wait to see your beautiful black walnut countertops! So wonderful that they encapsulate part of your family history.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

Loved your post! I just completed a major remodel of my small (around 100 sq. ft,) kitchen and I've hesitated posting photos because:
    1. I didn't buy high-end appliances (got Bosch and Samsung)
    2. No island
    3. No hardwood floors (wanted laminate to replace old ceramic tile)
    4. My kitchen isn't white! I opted for cherry in a tawny stain.
    Reading your post made me feel better! Maybe once my backsplash is done (being installed as we speak!) I'll bite the bullet and post some pics.

• rosie
    11 years ago

No island? Really!?? Please post, PGH. Looking forward to yours, Springroz.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

Rosie:
    No island - my kitchen wasn't big enough. And I could add

1. Not open to rest of the house

My house was built in 1911 and to open the kitchen to the dining room would mean demolishing a wall that contains built-in china cabinet. The GC and I agreed that it just didn't make sense to do that plus it would have made my remodel more expensive since I would have had to do a lot of work in the dining room. I'm happy with my decision but it is not an open kitchen like many are today.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

This is sad that people don't want to post their small kitchen photos. It's helpful to see what others have done to make their small kitchens work. Remember Brooklyngalley's kitchen? Tiny, tasteful, fun, and functional! I'd like to see more reveals where I don't get deja vu when I open the thread and see yet another OTK. I know they get 100 gazzillion posts oohing and aahing, but there's a lot to ooh and aah about in USK (unique small kitchens) too!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ditto lots of the above... Too funny AND I'm now scanning posts for your BIG small kitchen reveal!

Can't wait! :-)

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

LOL - I can't wait to see your reveal! It sounds wonderful - and pghgolfgirl, so does yours.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

Springroz:
    I'll show you mine if you show me yours! ;-)
    I hope to post photos soon.
    Thanks tor the encouragement!

• sbp59
    11 years ago

I haven't posted my small kitchen either...I have most of the things that are considered dated, bad, or just not functional...and I love it! I have found it too be very functional and love all the stuff I should not have done....smile.

• springroz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dated , bad, and just not functional....that describes ME to a T!!!

Phgolfgirl, I will show you mine! It does have wood floors, but only because there was no way to break off the kitchen from the dining room, since the two side walls are not the same length! And only a smidge bigger than yours...maybe 120 sg ft!

I have to go dig out the BS tile, and sort through it to pick out my faves!!

Nancy

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I love the reveals of small, medium and large kitchens. We crave photos! Can't wait to see your kitchen and thanks for the giggle. I needed it.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I saw your post last night and thought "OMG big kitchen envy? No, she's gotta be kidding right?", but just incase, I'm not touching this one. Glad your confirmed you have a wickedly dry sense of humor!

I too would love to see more small kitchens. It's a lot easier to make a giant dream kitchen or make a space look fabulous with a wall of windows on an ocean view (I'm talking to you interior design magazines), but I need to see creative inspiration for my small kitchen...and late 1980's track home.

So come on you small kitchen people up thread, post those modest kitchens you're selfishly withholding!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tease springroz! I am now urgently waiting for your reveal, because it's one I'm going to relate to.

Pghgolfgirl - please share yours too! We need more representative samples of the truly wide spectrum of kitchens that people have.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Me too, me too! Count me in for wanting to see the USK (unique small kitchen)! Building in a year and I'd love to see something posted that could be in the realm of my world! Not that I don't ohh and ahh over many of the gorgeous kitchens on here but they are not even close to reality for me in size or nearly everything else for that matter. :)

• meganmca
    11 years ago

Me too! I'd love to see more small kitchens--big ones are nice for drooling, but I'll never fit that in my house!

I'd also like to see kitchens where, you know, it's not all perfectly neat ;). Maybe things even stored on the counters?

• springroz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Meganmca,
    My cabinet maker was here last week, and said when we got done, he wanted to send the photographer over. I asked him if he was going to have it cleaned first. Unfortunately, no. Told him he better HURRY, then!!

Nancy

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

I'll do my small kitchen reveal when it's done, but you better sit down- it will probably be about a year from now, as I'm building the entire house by myself! I also plan to post pics on 'Building a Home', even though our house will be smaller than some of the garages over there.

I wish people would post more pics of real houses, the kind most folks live in, rather than the type that appear on magazine covers.

• pghgolfgirl
    11 years ago

My backsplash got installed over the weekend, but I want to paint my door and trim, and add base moulding before I post pics. The painting may be this upcoming weekend's project, so hopefully I'll post pics within the next couple of weeks.