Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy56_gw

Marble Back splash

lucy56
9 years ago

We are renovating our kitchen and thinking of a marble back splash. Our designer is cautioning us on this as it stains and etches. We were wondering if anyone has put clear glass over the marble to prevent the stains and etching?
Any ideas would be grateful

Comments (10)

• springroz
    9 years ago

My marble has some staining from oven smoke. It just adds to the homey charm of the kitchen. If I put glass over it, I would probably have the stains under glass!

• eam44
    9 years ago

Marble in a backsplash is far, far, far less likely to have a staining/etching issue than marble countertops. The vertical surface just get much less exposure to anything than the horizontal. I think it's a great option for those who love the look of marble but aren't fans of "patina." You might want to consider a stainless sheet behind your range if that fits with your aesthetic. It's the place you're most likely to splash tomatoes, oils, acids, etc...

Good luck!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

It depends on how and what you cook. My stainless steel backsplash has burnt-looking areas behind the burner where I I use a large, cast iron frying pan most frequently. If I had marble there, the same thing would happen. I saw a Mick De Giulio kitchen with a backsplash that had a sliding, clear glass overlay that could be used to protect the art work on the backsplash. My personal feeling is that kitchens are there to be used and signs of use are not a bad thing. Also, if there is an island spacer on your range, the backsplash will be protected from hot pans.

• lucy56
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I think we will go with the marble without glass.
    Would you use honed or polished marble? Would the honed show less etching or stains over time?

• springroz
    9 years ago

I went with polished, to contrast with the matte finish on my walnut countertops. The color and finish should complement the counters. Except for the area behind my range and the area behind my sink, my backsplash does not get a lot of care.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

We went with polished marble. Keep it sealed, quickly wipe up major stains, and it should be no problem. Once, we dropped a bottle of wine and it splashed across the backsplash. We quickly cleaned up and had no issues with staining or etching. Just try to keep the frying and pasta sauce on the front burners, and use a powerful hood when roasting fatty meats in the oven.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

I've had my honed marble backsplash about 2 months now. I can't see any staining or etching even though I know I've splattered tomato sauce (acid) on it. Most of it I wiped up right away but at times I missed a small splatter until later and I still can't find the etch.

I have no regrets so far about it. And I'm a person who I know would not be able to handle a marble on the countertops- it would upset me too much to see the etching and pitting.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

One of the Remodelista editors did a piece on her experience with a marble backsplash. She was able to remove most staining using a poultice. There was a follow-up post later on where she installed a shield to divert grease. Let me see if I can find those....

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelista link - Marble backsplash

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

Here is the follow-up post on Remodelista where she found the grease got to be too much upkeep, so she installed a small metal shelf piece to divert grease.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodelista link - Shelf on marble backsplash