Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laureng_123

Sink arrived damaged. Need advice, please!!

laureng_123
11 years ago

Our sink arrived last week, just in time. We insisted on inspecting it at the store, and found one corner of the rim was totally bent. It was beautiful otherwise. We refused to accept it and our salesman said he would call the vendor on Monday. It is a Fluid Arc sink, just for the record. He then called me on Tuesday to say the vendor came out and "fixed" it. So, we went to look at it today and it is bent back into the correct position, but the rim is all scratched up. Our salesman says it will take at least three weeks to get a new one and he is insisting that the rim won't be visible in an undermount install. I don't trust this guy, but I really can't wait another three weeks and I can't find another sink I like. Is this okay for them to just bend it back or does that compromise the integrity of the sink? Will the sink be able to be mounted properly if there is a slight bend in the rim? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Lauren

Comments (4)

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Lauren, it should be fine if it's undermount, but it would certainly depend upon how badly it's bent.
    Can the scratches be buffed out?
    Can you post pics?

• camphappy
    11 years ago

How much of your sink edge, if any, will show around the granite? Will the scratches show? Could the sink rust where the scratches are? (I don't know anything about a Fluid Arc sink.)
    I have a slight bend in the back corner of my sink. I don't remember it being there when it was sent to me so either the cabinetmaker or another worker did it. My granite installer said he would pound it out with a rubber mallet and that it would be covered by the granite. If your scratches will show I would wait the extra three weeks. Unless your sink is ready to go in now you may be waiting an extra three weeks anyways for something else in your remodel. (At least that is what we are experiencing.)

• laureng_123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't have any pictures unfortunately since I left it at the shop, but it is an 18 gauge stainless steel, so I don't think I have to worry about rust. The corner was sticking straight up with probably a 1/2" radius curve to the steel. They pounded it out so you can still see a very slight ripple and as I said before it is scratched up. The scratches are only on the rim, and we don't plan on having much of a reveal, so I think that they will be hidden. If the scratches are hidden, is there any reason not to go ahead and take it.

Everything else is supposed to be completed at the end of this week. I'm waiting on the sink in order to get the template for my granite done next week, so this will essentially delay my kitchen completion by another two weeks.

Thanks for your feedback!

• alwaysfixin
    11 years ago

I just looked up Fluid Arc sinks. You didn't say which model you have - can you tell us? Perhaps there's another brand that offers a similar sink. I checked out the Fluid Arc website and their sinks all appear to be 18 gauge. I saw 7 of them on Homeclick, and I could tell that you can find other stainless steel sinks for less money, in the thicker 16 gauge. Perhaps consider getting your money back on this one - buying a sink shouldn't have this much aggravation, right? A kitchen reno is hard enough without the sink store not making everything 100% right.

Look at Kraus sinks on expressdecor or Ticor sinks on galaxytoolsupply. Those two brands sell thicker 16 gauge, and come with sink grids for free, with free shipping. Many people on this forum have Ticor and Kraus brands, and like them. We have a Kraus faucet, KPF-1602, bought at expressdecor, and really like it. Kraus offers sink-plus-faucet packages that are priced fantastic.

16 gauge SS sinks

Ticor 16 gauge sinks