Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

What color cabinets with a blue Fratelli Onofri range?

ideagirl2
13 years ago

Hello! So we bit the bullet today and nabbed one of the double-oven Fratelli ranges (http://www.plessers.com/Fratelli_Onofri/frryc905dblbr.htm). I saw a color sample a while back and think in real life it may be a bit closer in tone to this blue: http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-9976084-32.html

Obviously the white cabinets/black counter combination looks great. That's one option we're considering. But I tend to like more warmth in a kitchen... I suppose we could get that with a hardwood floor and a warmer backsplash (and we are leaning towards pale yellow for the walls, too).

Do you have any other ideas? What about... I don't know... pale oak cabinets, so the golden tone picks up the brushed-brass accents on the stove? What about wooden countertops (and if so, what shade--maybe a very dark wood on top of white lower cabinets)? Or what about white cabinets below and wood-colored ones above... would that look completely weird?? I've seen the reverse look great (i.e. wood lower cabinets, white upper cabinets)...

Any ideas you have would be welcome! I've googled endlessly and am not finding anything that really grabs me.

Comments (21)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow that range is a work of art! I'm not an expert but there are some here. However, I'm seeing quarter sawn oak with some pale yellow painted and maybe some dark grey unfitted and some hand painter turkish tile and a lot of detail in the ceiling work...well, I could go on and on with inspiration from that range. Hope you get lots of replies. Now I'm off to a 30 minute preheat with my ole kitchen aid.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

To me, a blue range w/ yellow walls cries out for a french country kitchen. Something like this:

{{gwi:1956168}}

but picking up the darker blues

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I agree that the pale yellow would be a great color. Here are a few inspirational pictures with various colors.

{{gwi:1956169}}

{{gwi:1956170}}

{{gwi:1956172}}

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks, folks! I really like the combination of blue and a "white" that's really more of a cream. It looks more cozy than true white, and it would tie into yellow walls nicely and also look good with, say, a golden oak floor maybe? Ooh! I'm getting excited. And if we didn't already have a great toaster, I would be ON that blue and stainless KitchenAid!

This is going to take ages, but I promise I'll post pictures.

Any and all further ideas are welcome...

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PS I forgot to mention, blue and yellow does look fabulous in a French country kitchen, but our house would look weird with a French country kitchen in it. The house was built in the 30s and is subtly Art Deco (I say "subtly" so you don't picture some neon pink and turquoise Miami-style deco house...). We're trying to keep the kitchen at least pretty much in keeping with the style or era of the house. Hence the sort of (but not really) old fashioned looking range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Better link for range

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Great looking range! Seems perfect for the style of your house as you describe it.

Where do you find the specs on these ranges...like BTU's, etc?

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Rhome410! The specs were on AJ Madison (http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FRRYC905S.html)--I say "were" because AJM isn't selling the double oven version anymore, just the giant single oven, which is what that URL will take you to. But both versions have the same cooktop, with 1 burner at 12,000BTU, 1 at 10,000, 2 at 6000 and 1 at 3500. I don't know why the importer's website doesn't have all the specs--they really should. Plesser's does have the specs--they're where I actually bought it (see link below). They still have the double ovens, although when I bought the blue one yesterday, it was one of only three blue ones left and I had to find and call their local showroom number instead of their 800 number to find it.

Apparently Fratelli is discontinuing the double ovens because the giant single-oven one is massively popular in the US, while the double oven, not so much. It triggers those, "But what if I host Thanksgiving for 30 people?" anxieties. I almost bought the single oven, but truly my heart was with the double oven one. But either way, it was basically exactly what I wanted: when I first started looking I pictured my ideal stove as "an antique stove [i.e., well built and beautiful, with no plastic or electronics/computers] with modern safety features and modern burners [a wide range of BTU's]."

For the size of the two ovens, I had to call the importers in New Jersey (http://fratelliappliances.com/index.php) because the numbers I randomly found online didn't add up--if I multiplied the supposed depth/height/width, it didn't come out as having the same oven capacity that AJ Madison said it had, so I called to clarify that. Also did some googling to see what people who owned one said about them. I was hung up on the double ovens because I loved the look and also was into the concept of cooking things at different temperatures at the same time, and with not using more oven than I need: it'll heat up faster, I won't waste energy or send more money than I have to to the utility company, etc.

At first I regretfully decided the two ovens were too small, but then we were visiting friends in Connecticut and I, being obsessed with this stove, tracked down a local dealer who actually had one in stock. It wasn't the color I wanted, but it was certainly enough for me to decide that the ovens were fine for me--we never have huge numbers of people over at once, so I don't generally make gigantic dishes such as 25-lb turkeys. And someone online said they made a 15-lb turkey in the larger oven, which seemed totally ample to me. Also, this dealer had a little fan of enamelled bits of steel to show the color samples, so I was set.

I think Amazon has the double ovens too, though I'm not sure if they have the specs. Oh, also I think the larger oven is convection while the smaller one isn't. Don't quote me on that, but that's what I seem to recall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plesser's - double oven with specs

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I'd think that anyone doing big dinners would prefer the 2 ovens...I would. I've heard that if you get too big with a turkey, it's not as much good, and 2 ovens would allow making more than just one honkin' big bird. :-)

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I agree with rhome...giant turkeys are over-rated. In my new home I have two large ovens and it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I have also heard cooking 2 smaller birds for a large party can be a benefit. Your two ovens will be great!!!

You have my interest peeked now...are you going for a blue fridge too?

Here is a link that might be useful: blue fridge

• mastiffmom_85
    13 years ago

I think I would forfeit my giant bird privileges indefinitely if I could have a range like that. :)

Really beautiful, and I love that you're embracing that great color!

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

I love that range! I had planned to buy that exact one but then I saw the Bertazzoni Heritage in person at a local dealer and chickened out on ordering the Fratelli sight-unseen. I still do wish I had two small ovens rather than one huge one. For the once-a-year turkey, I was going to buy one of those big electronic countertop roaster ovens, which would be handy to own, anyway. Someone here had used one for just about everything in the temp kitchen.

Anyway, I think it would look fabulous with a very deep cream like BM Bone White. Brass hardware on your cabs, black counters, wood island...(describing MY kitchen.(-: )

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Your question immediately made me think of kitchens with blue ranges and one that would look great with a blue.

The first is a blue LaCornue with yellowish cabinets as you'd described, and the other is Ivette (Pirula)'s wonderful white kitchen with a cobalt blue Lacanche and great cherry counters which are sooo warm.

Another kitchen that might be helpful has a black Bertazzoni heritage range and black counters but there's also a blue countertop surface in this hydrangea color kitchen and with the right blue counter it could crazy-amazing with white cabinets and splash, the blues and java on the floor and perhaps someplace else.

Just a few more ideas.

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, those blue fridges are cool! It'll probably be hard/impossible to get an exact match for the range, though, so we'll probably just go stainless for the fridge. It's physically impossible to see the fridge and the range at the same time, unless you're seeing them out of the corners of your eyes, so I have zero qualms about them not matching, as long as they both look good. The fridge will match the dishwasher (Asko 5233, stainless with the controls hidden on top of the door and the sort of retro-looking bar for a handle), and the range will be the queen of the kitchen. With a stainless fridge and dishwasher as her ladies in waiting. Or something like that.

Shanghai mom, I considered the Bertazzoni Heritage too--we obviously have similar taste! For a while I gazed longingly at those Bertas, but ultimately my finances spoke loud and clear and I figured, if I want a giant oven (which I didn't), it made more sense to just get the Fratelli giant oven (just like the one we got except it has one oven), which is a couple grand cheaper than the Berta. But I was in the opposite position from you--I've never seen a Berta in person, and had seen the Fratelli--and I was swayed by the Fratelli reviews, because everybody seemed to love it. It seemed like the only people who don't are people who didn't think before they ordered it, a la, "Let's see, it's 36" wide and there are two ovens side by side... therefore, it would be unreasonable of me to expect the ovens to be big." Basically everywhere I looked online, almost everyone loved it and then there were a few people saying something like, "I ordered it sight unseen and then omigod, the ovens were small! So I sent it back."

Speaking of cool-looking ranges, I almost lost my mind and seriously considered just forgetting anything resembling financial rationality and ordering one of these from Europe:
    http://www.vip-cooking.com/produkte_details.php?ctl=73&ctm=_294_305&pr_id=1145
    That's the red double-oven version... I'm also posting a blue single-oven below. Are these CRAZY?!? They look like the range Arwen would cook on in Lord of the Rings!

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Lord of the Rings insane blue range

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rococogirl, I really like that cherry-counters kitchen! I've been wondering if wood would be good for the counters. That looks gorgeous. And that hydrangea kitchen is gorgeous too. Thanks to it, I can picture that kind of wood-tone cabinets with a blue stove... it works!

We ordered a color sample from the Fratelli importers, and we'll take it with us to the Amish cabinet place... updates to follow. Thanks!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

ideagirl -- that German range is insane. Be still my heart. Never saw that brand before but wow! Thanks for the link.

Will look forward to updates.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

I think deeper stained cherry cabinets would look fantastic with that beautiful range.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

I love the double oven Fratelli Onofri! I saw one at (I think) Eurostoves a while ago. It is truly a beauty.

I think warm cream painted cabinets with oak floors will look gorgeous. Soft and vintage and lovely. The other idea I had was a nice honey-colored wood stain. Something like these lyptus cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: lyptus cabinets with blue range

• lakeaffect
    13 years ago

ideagirl2-

Check out redrange's kitchen on the FKB, tho her range is, of course, red, she has blue and yellow cabs and accents, and it does not smack of French Country to me, it's sort of a modern farmhouse vibe.

Colors are hard on a monitor, and I do like the creamy white cabs with cherry counters (or even walnut, less colonial feeling), but your blue range could support cherry reds, corals, saffron yellows, mossy or lime greens and even a burnt pumpkin color in walls, cabs and accent colors. I could also see other blues; turquoise for sure, but other blues, especially something very saturated.

I'm a color fan tho, and would use strong color as a foil for the range, I think a little "competition" would be good, but it depends on your tolerance for color dissonance.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandyponder, I have v high tolerance for color dissonance... I tend to think, within reason, the more color the better!

Rococogurl, that Lord of the Rings/Elfquest range is actually Italian--I posted the German link because that's where I found the prices, but below I'll post the Italian site (which is in Italian, but "Catalogo" is obviously the place to click). Apparently these ranges are made on an Ilve chassis--it's an Ilve range with this incredible exterior.

Pickle2, that dishwasher looks almost identical to ours--I'm glad to see it looks totally fine to have that dishwasher near a range that doesn't even remotely match it. And that looks like a very pleasant kitchen to work in. I like the vibe.

Pricklypear, we will definitely hold the range color sample up to cherry cabinets in various stains to see how it looks. And maple, and oak, and white... I can't wait!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ilve Restart Elfquest/Lord of the Rings range - Italian site

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Rococo thanks for posting that hydrangea...it is awesome. I love purple and don't have any place for it in my rooms, so am planning on doing something to lean in that direction when I renovate my garage into a game room (years from now...I suspect...LOL).

Wow...some really great links to beautiful appliances here...drool-worthy!!!

• sparkofcreation_comcast_net
    13 years ago

So this question has nothing to do with the color or design, but the quality of the Fratelli. How do you like it after having it for a few months. I haven't seen many reviews, but am considering buying the Royal Chiantishire 3.7 cu feet oven. Love the look, concerned about it being foreign made. If it breaks down, I'm wondering if it'll be more difficult and expensive to have it serviced....thanks!