Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reginakoo

White or dark? What do you prefer?

reginakoo
10 years ago

I see a lot of white kitchens on magazines. Looks like it's more popular than the dark color ones. But I am wondering if it is true. Do you like white kitchens? or you like the dark color schemes?

Thanks

Comments (16)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Neither? I like light wood - oak, maple, alder.

• acdcstrang
    10 years ago

I am about to go white. Creamy white, but white nonetheless. Currently have natural, dark honey coloured maple cabinets and blue laminate counter. Too dark for my small galley kitchen that only has one small window. Many kitchens in my neighbourhood (all built with pretty much the same layout) have light kitchens just to make them feel bigger. If size is not an issue for you, then you should just go with what makes you happy. White will make me very, very happy :)

• Sherry Arita
    10 years ago

I'm in the process of making that decision right now for an upcoming renovation. I 'm pretty sure I will go with dark. I have white now, and really like the warmth of the dark wood.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I'm going from 1970's avocado vent hood, medium whatever cabinets, laminate counters to medium oak cabinets, black galaxy counters, white backsplash. We do have a large window and French doors to our south facing patio. Probably not what the pros would suggest, but we like what we like...

Go with what you like!

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

Dark.

• reginakoo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My husband likes dark and I like white. Since we are going to sell the house after a couple of years. We have to consider the trend.

This post was edited by reginakoo on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 0:31

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

in that case[selling in a couple years]..I'd do light. Be careful how much you sink into this project if moving on so soon.

• KBH
    10 years ago

I had the white kitchen/black counters in my old house. Now I have black cabs/lite grey counters in my new one. I love them both. Sometimes I see a breathtaking white kitchen and wish I had done white, but then I see mine and still love them. I will say, though, they do show dust a LOT more than white.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I like medium dark woods: stained (not natural) cherry, walnut, mahogany. I don't particularly like really dark ("espresso" stained cabinets). I also like white painted cabinets. What I like best really depends on the house in question, but in general, I think my favorite is a medium-dark stained cherry.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Dark. I'm not a huge fan of most white kitchens. Some of the are done really well, but most of them are not..... in my opinion.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love white kitchens but I also love stained cabinets. I have a wheat stained maple in my new kitchen and I love them!

• dmcevenue
    10 years ago

Both - we're installing black base cabinets and white uppers!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I love white kitchens in other people's houses. For the only kitchen remodel I am ever likely to do, I chose medium stained cherry. For one thing, it fit my house better. Not only should you consider what you like, you should think of it in terms of flow with the rest of your decor. Have you done the Sweeby Test? That could help you decide which you'll prefer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweeby Test

• chinchette
    10 years ago

Dark for my particular house. But I love white also. Depends on the house. I don't think dark photographs as well. The white trend might have something to do with the photogenic quality. That being said, I like white. And dark...

• tbo123
    10 years ago

I'm having the same dilemma myself. I don't think I would go dark. It's a choice (for me) between white painted look and clear or light stained finished.

Actually, it's driving me bonkers. I mean serious bonkers.

I've also thought what cinchette said. In that all the pictures of white kitchens on the web and in magazines look wonderful. I think it's different in real life. Not sure though.

This site in particular usually prefers white.

It's great to hear others opinions.

• chloe.chloe
    10 years ago

We are building and are white cabintets were just installed today! I love, love, love them!! We initially had chosen espresso but living here in the PNW with a lot of gray days and being on a tree lined lot, I'm so glad we switched to white!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional