Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

Please help me decipher these quotes

Melissa Kroger
9 years ago

We have decided to remodel our kitchen again, since the finish (I'm in California) on our 11 year old cabinets has not held up. I know exactly what I want, (white shaker inset) but I am having a very difficult time with choosing a kd/cabinet line. We have looked at 7 different places and I am completely confused and getting depressed. Maybe someone can help me make sense of the info I am deciphering:

KD #1- Full design/build firm. The owner came out and measured, then met at the showroom a week later. His cabinetry quote was $35,722 for Dewils Expressions, Stratford door, paint grade maple. He did not specify number of cabinets, or specifics that we talked about such as toe kick drawers, pullouts, stacked uppers etc. He also gave me a quote for Greenfield, Jamestown door, paint grade wood. Again, no specifics, for $50,735. His construction quote was $37,797 including $4620 for counter top allowance and $960 for backsplash. I think we will exceed the allowances (soapstone and quartz) and the construction seems a little high. Everything is somewhat vague. I do love the Greenfield cabs, though he says he doesn't want to use exposed hinges.

KD#2-Crystal Cabinet Works Encore custom line, Frameless, even though I specified framed. $36,396. No quote for construction. I hated this guy, his design was all wrong and although I appreciated his blow-by-blow of the play he just saw, not to mention the show tunes he belted out for me, going with him is not an option. I did like the cabinets he had on display.

KD#3- Brookhaven cabinets $39,800 to 44,000. Rockport recessed door inset, slab drawer, white painted maple. Construction cost $35,000. Once again, vague and nothing really spelled out. I wasn't crazy about the cabinets, but the displays were very dated.

KD#4- Never heard back from her after our initial meeting. She could not have been a day over 21yrs old. Never wrote a thing down, and texted throughout our meeting.

KD#5- Omega cabinets and construction. $68,000 to $88,000 including counter top and backsplash allowance of $4500. They refused to break down the quote to see what we were spending on cabinets. The Omega finish was very shiny and plastic looking and the inset doors were hung crooked.

KD#6 Crystal Cabinets Quaker door, framed inset. Nothing else specified. $42,881. His GC came and never followed up with consruction quote.

KD#7 Don't have quote yet, but he says cabinets will come in around $70-75k for Christiana cabinets. He also said he doesn't do toe kick drawers, always insists on air gap and will not put in a range hood wider than range due to aesthetics. Uggh

BTW- contruction is for basic electrical and plumbing, as well as cabinet demo/installation. Not a single quote included the fireplace redo that we asked for or cabinets for my husband's office. Do any of these quotes seem okay? We are driving to Santa Monica tomorrow to look at Shiloh and QCCI. Maybe 8th times a charm?

Comments (7)