Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marc_johnson9001805

We're finally finished - a tour of our new kitchen!

Marc Johnson
9 years ago

Sorry for being so quiet these last few weeks - it's been crazy with finishing touches and trying to get "life" back in order... but we're there. We have even had house guests and a party already!

We started with an idea in April, commitment in June, and demolition on July 3. We ended up about 3 weeks past schedule (one cabinet came in at the wrong size), and of course 20% over original budget, but in the end, we're THRILLED with this re-do. Lots (and lots) of great ideas from GW, and of course a ton of moral support, so thanks to all of my GW buddies who helped me maintain perspective & sanity throughout this process!

Here's before-after from two angles:

We updated everything - granite to quartz, flooring (stainless steel to porcelain), appliances (swapped a much larger fridge with a slightly smaller range, built-in microwave) - but tried to keep close to the original footprint.

We added about 20" of width to the workspace, now two people (or more) can be "in" the kitchen working, yet we still have tons of room for folks to gather around the island and be able to sneak in to grab something from the fridge or put something in the recycle/trash. Our "wow" factor, the backsplash, plays nicely with the counter/waterfall and the pops of green apple accent color.

Hanstone Speccio White quartz countertop with a waterfall, Columbia euro-style cabinets (in Formica Fog matte with one horizontal in Vibrant Green matte),

The island seats 3 (or 4) and extends 18", with LED lighting underneath the overhang (custom, with changeable color). Sink is Blanco silgranit with Moen touchless faucet (and thanks to GW, a NeverMT soap dispenser and air-switch operated disposal). LG fridge & dishwasher.

The flooring is a concrete-look porcelain St. Moritz grey. Backsplash is Skyline from Lowes, stainless steel shelving was from an outdoor kitchen dealer, and the 36" range hood (over a 30" range) was AKDY from Sears. LED lighting undercab & above cab was custom DIY with wood panels used underneath for a completely recessed look. Cabinet uppers are finger-pull or pop-latch, lowers have traditional pulls (long bars from TopKnob).

The workspace is truly wide and open, keeping with the open loft feel of the condo. Lookin out towards additional storage (Ikea PAX) and wine cellar. We switched from cabinets to drawers in the island - much easier to get at things, especially with the full extention drawers. Custom cutlery inserts (again, thanks to GW for the find) from Wood Hollow.

We went with a Sharp microwave drawer and absolutely love it. Also using an HP touchscreen computer (23") which doubles as TV. We had an existing compactor and decided to keep it - and add a recycling bin cabinet/drawer. Our pantry, laundry, and hot water are all behind the large Sliding Door Co. doors.

So that takes us all the way to today! There are a few outstanding items (one missing drawer pull, one hinge to replcae to make the horizontal cabinet pop latch work better, and once of the cabinet fronts came in gloss vs. matte). But for all practical purposes, we're "DONE".

Hope you enjoyed the tour - happy to answer any questions! Now to enjoy this for a while ... before the next project.

Comments (31)

• romy718
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very cool kitchen! Love the combination of your floors, cabinet color & finish
    and the pops of green. The backsplash looks great as do the stainless shelves with the green bowls & glass canisters. Lots of attention to detail & it shows.
    Great kitchen! Congrats!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

From cramped and closed-in to a feeling of spaciousness. I love the increased useability and the green accents!

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Very nice! I remember your first post. You took a pretty nice kitchen and made it even more functional and yet kept essentially the same footprint and layout. Really good job. I like it very much.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Oooh! Everything looks so lovely Great choices and fabulous execution. Enjoy in good health!

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

Widening the aisle made a real difference! Great job.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Very nice! I liked the before, but it like the new and improved kitchen even better!!!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Lovely. Fresh and crisp like a crunchy apple. Is there lighting near the floor? Enjoy.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

That is one awesome kitchen! Love the euro-modern vibe, and that green just makes the kitchen. What a fun and vibrant space!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I LOVE the green accents, especially the lighting. That is my favorite shade of green!

Widening the isle has made it much more functional and that back splash is to die for!

Congrats on an awesome reno, enjoy that space!

• Majra
    9 years ago

I love your new modern kitchen! I too have only backsplash in my kitchen--no paint at all. Yours looks really great. Congrats!

• ainelane
    9 years ago

Congrats on your new kitchen - a job very well done! I love how open and bright the space feels and the green accents are so stylish.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

How 'bout that recycling sticker! Nice and a great idea I haven't yet seen on the kitchen forum.

Congratulations. It looks wonderful, and has great personality.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks awesome! I love the green accents!

• User
    9 years ago

Love it! It's gorgeous and chic.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Very nice.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

The before kitchen was very pretty but the after is a wow! I love the extra room, the bright, happy, updated beautiful look, the gorgeous backspash, the gorgeous tiled floors, the pop of the green color, and just the overall beautiful look!

What temperature color, brand, size, lumens LED lights in the ceiling did you go with?

I love your kitchen! Thank you for the tour!

• zeebee
    9 years ago

Looks great! I love how the colors work together. It makes it look like such a fun space.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Looks great! I thought of you last night. DH had poker here and the guys think he needs a TV in the kitchen. I told them that's what ipads are for. :)

(I didn't tell them that I'll soon agree to a larger one in the living room (visible from the kitchen) as well.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Love your modern aesthetic and especially the pops of apple green - my favorite color! Such a cool kitchen. Really nice remodel. Enjoy it!

• Marc Johnson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for the very kind words and positive reinforcement!

Here's some answers to ?s:

onedogedie: my dilemma was to make sure guests knew which was recycling and which was trash. Should be obvious, but don't want anyone to feel stupid about it ... so made it even more obvious :) Easy scratch-on decals available at Amazon for a few bucks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089ZO1SA

lynn2006: The can lights are all LED bulbs now with some "dressing up". Inside the work area, kept the existing 6" cans, added a green glass trim ring (discontinued now), and used G7 Power True Color 3000k LED bulbs (15w BR30 830 lumen 90 CRI). For the curved ceiling area, kept the 4" cans and replaced the trims with Juno 4103FROST - the glass protrudes down about 1" and spreads the light better while keeping the harsh glare out of people's eyes. For those fixtures, used Utilitech 3000k, 13w - 60w equivalent incandescent, omni-directional bulbs.

Undercab (above sink) used a DIY kit from Amazon - a strip of combo cool/warm LEDs (with a temperature control) so that I could get an match to the other lights:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXXWX06
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IS71H9U
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XZACX4

I inserted them into a diffuser channel from Environmental Lights
    http://www.environmentallights.com/14176-led-strip-light-bar-10.html

The contractor then put wood blocks behind and in front to get a perfect recessed look.

I then repeated the same thing for the .5" shadow line above the cabinets to get the "glow" from above. All I needed to do was add a 2nd strip of lights to the controllers already installed for the undercab - one transformer + one controller handles both.

Note on color temperature: I'm a stickler for having a consistent color for the whole space - it was a lot of trial and error, which led me to the cool/warm strips (2700k was too yellow/warm, 3100k was too blue, but these bi-color LEDs let me mix to get exactly what I want). I'm now 90% there - still a little irked at the LEDs on the range hood being a little whiter than the rest ... but I think I've tried everything available and just need to let that go.

westsider40: For the underlighting on the island - under the overhang (had them leave me .5" space between the frame and quartz so that I could "shove it in there") facing out and under the cabinets at the floor (in front of the toekick) I used another set of DIY LEDs with RGB color control - they are the same ones used throughout the house, which gives me the ability to do a "ambient color" everywhere (all controlled via Insteon so all of them can be activated togther via remote or light switch):
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KILV00U

cal_quail: smart negotiation tactic!

This post was edited by marcojohnson on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 14:22

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Your before kitchen was so interesting, that it is fun to see your tour now. Those 20" extra really make it look like a more comfortable room to work in and hang out. Nice to read that I am not alone in being warm/cool light picky. My husband doesn't get that there is light, and then there is ugly yellow light that will make me cranky and unpleasant to be around.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

What a fun kitchen! Great choices.

• kawh707
    9 years ago

looks wonderful! i love how many drawers you have!! we went to tons of drawers with our remodel, and two years later i am grateful for every single drawer!

• cindallas
    9 years ago

What a wonderful playful looking space! Great green accents. I like how the added lights in the curved ceiling section really plays up the architectural lines. Really makes it a standout feature. Love all the drawers, the backsplash (of course!) and the improved layout.

Thanks for sharing your LED color temperature solution. That drives me crazy too when they're not the same. It has been difficult to find the more neutral color temps (forget the exact kelvin temp at the moment), so your solution sounds great!

I saw this really cool Lutron dimmer that reminds me of your space and would look really cool if it could work with your Insteon (I'm not familiar with this) dimming system, or if not, maybe something separate. In a single or a double switch plate, there is a thin vertical slot that has Green LEDs (also comes in Blue or White) that you can touch anywhere for the dimmer (all the way up is full On and any position lower is dimmed by seven levels I believe). And there is a small Amber light at the lowest point that softly glows when it is all off so you can find it in the dark. The wall plates are available in the 10 standard colors and 11 brushed metal colors so you could get a brushed aluminum or stainless steel looking one to match what looks like what you have (see the picture below).

I'm going to use these in my bar in the Blue to coordinate with the granite countertops there, so just thought these would look cool in the Green for your great space. This is one of the most distinctive dimmers I have seen. The picture below is of the single in the Green with an aluminum plate (also comes in a double plate as well) and a link with the specifics. Just a thought for you if you haven't finished all of your switches. :-)

(edited for a typo I didn't catch the first time)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron Vierti dimmer switch

This post was edited by cindallas on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 16:56

• Marc Johnson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cindallas- thanks for the kudos - it's definitely meant to be a little fun and whimsical :) I'm discovering that my lighting "issues" about color temp aren't just me afterall :)

Lutron makes great switches- I used them for years but over the last 10 years or so, I've been using Insteon which is a networked system. WIth this kind of a set-up, I can activate a number of lights from any switch I designate (or my iphone- even when I'm not at home). Think of it this way - I have a button marked "Dinner time" and it turns on/off the lights I want. I have another marked "Upstairs all off" and it turns everything upstairs off. It has a lot of "extras" for macros, scheduling, and even interfaces with the Nest thermostat and cameras. Overkill for many, but once you've experienced the joys of pushing "good night" and everything turns off, you're hooked :) It also completely obsoletes the concept of "three way switch" and gives you total flexibility to put any switch any where - even wireless remotes!

http://www.insteon.com/2242-222-insteon-hub.html

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

MarcoJohnson, thank you for sharing the LED light temperature. After trying out so many bulbs and temperatures of the light, I chose the Cree new dimmable LED 1500 Lumens PAR 38 (47 degree radius) that has a temperature color of 3,000K. I was so surprised that the 6 bulbs did not match he 3,000K color of the dimmable TCP Par 38 LED (40 degree radius) with a 1,250 Lumens bulb! I had planned to buying the TCP bulb for both my kitchen and my home office as all my kitchen Reveal halogen 2.5 year old recessed PAR 38 bulbs were dying that only had 900 Lumens with only a 25 degree radius.

The bulbs had gone down in price from when I looked at the during my tax season and then went back on back order online. I kept waiting for them to come in and meanwhile I saw this new bulb. Since I already bought one of these bulbs for $10 more than they are selling now and kept it for a few months, it is my bulb. I have placed it over the sink but it bothers me that it is whiter than the warmer CREE bulb despite both LED bulbs claiming to have the same 3,000K temperature. I do not like 2,700K temperatures as being too yellow. It bothers me that the CRI is only 80 on the new CREE bulbs while it is slightly higher on the TCP bulb but the color is white but still warm and gives good light. The bulb you chose seems so nice but I needed a PAR 38 LED bulb as I installed the recessed cans in my kitchen at the end of the 2011 year.

My range hood still has the halogen lights in them that I will keep until they die out and try to get a matching 3,000K temperature in an LED bulb that will fit the range hood.

I will be looking into your under cabinet LED lighting! Thank you for the link!

• cindallas
    9 years ago

Marcojohnson, thanks for the info on your dimming and lighting system! I just LOVE automated and dimming lighting controls. Lighting and lighting controls are VERY important to me; it just makes or breaks the space. As much as the correct color. Layered lighting and just ordinary dimming extends the function and moods of an area, not to mention the life of the bulbs and energy savings. But when you can get the more controlled 'group' lighting and 'scene' you mention and add others (like thermostat / cameras, etc), it is over the top!

I experienced the convenience of those 'group' switches and layered 'scene' lighting several years ago when I was working for builders in some very expensive huge houses. I was hooked and knew I wanted and hoped to have that when I was able to get my own place. Back then, those were very expensive and needed an entire team of technicians to program everything, required extensive and very complicated pre wiring and even required their own climate controlled cooled equipment room. They have come a long way from that these days.

I had planned on using the Lutron RadioRa2 system that has the 'scene' controls and 'group' switches and I think can incorporate some other controls like music or thermostat, but they have complicated specs and wiring requirements and are very expensive. Easier than the systems several years ago I saw but yours sounds even more flexible, easier and more user friendly. Really cool that you can also use your iPhone, can do macros and schedules and don't even have to be home! I will definitely check that out!! I think I just found a new system!! Thanks so much for the detailed info.

Well you really have a great space that is fun and whimsical and oh so functional and with all of your customized lighting controls to boot! Enjoy your new space!!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

That came out really well! Where'd you get the stools from?

Also, thanks for the info about Insteon. I have a ton of Lutron Maestro dimmers installed now and really wanted something that could control a number of them at once, but at the same time I'm waiting a bit to see whose app and overall package is something that can withstand the test of time.

Also thanks for validating slidingdoorco's product. It's a big leap of faith to order something so huge like that online without being able to touch/feel one. They have a huge lead time but we're in there... somewhere.

• Marc Johnson
    Original Author
    9 years ago

schicksal - sorry for the many months late reply :) they were a find on Overstock :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock stools

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Your kitchen has gone from nice yet bland to SUPER-DUPER!!! Love everything about it.

Also love your comments re lighting. I'm struggling with planning this so I'm clipping this for reference.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Marco--I got too busy to follow up on your project but this is stunning. I love it!

And the one sided waterfall with the bar overhang--that is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing in my kitchen but it ended up causing some issues with the cabinets. I LOVE that you pulled it off!

And I should take up your invitation to a round robin kitchen tour. Excellent taste and it turned out very well :) I'm sure you've been loving it as much as we have loved ours.

Chris