Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retro-fitting toe kick drawers

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 21:03

Has anyone done this? I'm just looking at the toekick boards we installed and wondering...can we get a couple drawers in there? We did install our own cabinets so I definitely remember how challenging some of the angles were. And we had the right angle drill (or whatever it's called). Should I give up the dream or is there still time? Thanks, oldbat2be

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retro-fitting toe kick drawers

I was working on a post on the same topic when you posted this. Just posted mine and saw yours. Great minds and all that.
Hope we get some good info.

o

I don't have toe kick drawers personally... but I have seen them and think they are GREAT! One of my girlfriends recently moved into a home that had toe kick drawers under her sink... she stores sponges, rags etc. in them. What a great way to use space.

o

Dunno if this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: Toekick drawers, ikea parts, done after the fact

o

This may help you to decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Build Under-Cabinet Drawers

o

I can't think of any possible way to install the runners into the cabinet sides with the cabinets in place. You'd have to be able to drill multiple accurate holes in the sides, and that's not going to happen when you only have 4" of clearance to do it.

Or, you could do inset "wheels" on the drawers like on under bed drawers, but those would take up a lot of room inside the drawer boxes to do that.

o

thirdkitchenremodel

Thanks for that link. I have also thought about retrofitting toe kick drawers, but was unsure of how to attach the drawers.

The description and images in your link make it all clear and straightforward.

o
Easy Peasy. I can do this.

I agree with bob. The links from momtofour and third kitchen remodel make how to do it clear. Especially momtofour whose link is a totally DIY approach while 3rd kitchen's link uses IKEA kits.

Anyway, I see how to do it now. Easy. I can do this.

Sandra

o

"I can't think of any possible way to install the runners into the cabinet sides with the cabinets in place."

You do not use the cabinet sides to mount the runners, but a box with a thin top (and bottom if you want) and about 1/2 inch thick sides.

Slide the whole thing under the cabinet and fasten in place.

Depending on how the cabinets originally where installed it can be a real chore to gain access.

2x lumber has been used to make up a level floor frame to then rest cabinets on for many years in many places.

Cutting though it in the toe kick space is a real chore (drill large holes and use a narrow sawzall blade).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here