Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale1965

After-market pullout trash can that attaches to the door

gale1965
10 years ago

Has anyone installed one of these? I want one under my stove (it is a sink base) and it has doors right now, with a stile in between. I'm wondering how hard it would be to install something where I would remove the door and then attach it to the pullout like the one linked. Anyone done this?

Here is a link that might be useful: revashelf pull out trash can

Comments (25)

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

i used a revashelf trash pullout for under my sink. it was pretty easy to install. i don't have a stile in the middle of mine though, but i think it would still work fine and there might be models specifically for the framed cabinetry (mine is a frameless model). the hardest part is getting the doors to line up nicely on the pullout versus the door that is not a pullout, but there are several adjusters built in to the revashelf to do so. just make sure you look at the specs for the model you buy to make sure it can fit in your space.

here is mine installed under the sink. i believe it is a 35 quart model.

This post was edited by michoumonster on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:35

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I installed a rev-a-shelf pullout for our cookie sheets. It's the same basic install as the trash pullout. Install wasn't too hard at all. I just made sure to double check measurements to mount the door on correctly.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 11:23

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I bought an Ikea drawer for this purpose.

I was really excited and posted a thread about it a while back.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY trash pullout

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We had the double version of the one pheasantfarmer installed and it was great - very sturdy and still in great shape when we moved 7 years after installing it.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I retrofitted a similar Revashelf like the one you're proposing into a cabinet and it works nicely. Mine attached to the sides of the cabinet but of course in your situation, the floor mount is better. (Actually it would have been better for me too but I needed a weird size.)

Anyway, it is totally worth doing, it ends up looking fine, and the hardware is good enough you can probably leave the handle where it is if you can't find a way to center it without leaving holes to touch up.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I wish I could find one in a store. There's no ikea here. Only Home Depot and if I drive an hour there's a Menard's and Lowe's. I might call around and see if any cabinet shops have them. We are moving in probably this weekend (new house) and I'd like to do this before my husband takes over and puts the knobs on the cabinet doors.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

I love the cookie sheet pull out that is great !

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

update-it looks like Menards has them in stock (pull out bottom part plus the door kit). We'll be near one on thursday so I'm going to try to get one.

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

I'm looking for the identical trash pullout. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'm just starting to look for these, so this thread is perfect timing for me!

If you have one, could you post where you bought it? Is online the best way to get the right size/price, or does HD/Lowes stock them?

• millmacc
    10 years ago

I purchased my revashelf from Lowe's. Installed myself--pretty easy just a little tricky to line up the door hardware portion while holding heavy door steady, etc. Also, my cabinets are of average quality so I did need to add a layer of plywood at the bottom of cabinet for sturdiness. The existing bottom wasn't stout enough to hold the frame. And since Michoumonster already posted a picture and since my under sink area is nowhere near as clean......I'll refrain from posting my image! I do have the center divider-stile and it isn't an issue. Love it and works great.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

My local Lowe's carries them (although I'm not sure if it comes with the piece that attaches to the door), but I ordered online from kitchensource dot com.

• momand3boys
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what brand we had, but DH bought one at HD or Lowes and installed it himself to a door. Worked great!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Here's what I did to install the door of our rev-a-shelf pull-out unit. It should be the same for the trash unit.

1) Measure from the top of the adjacent door to the top of the trash unit (write this down for use later)
    2) Remove the pull-out unit from the base
    3) Put the door on a counter (face down, pull knob/handle removed)
    4) Position the pull-out unit on top of the door.
    5) Center the pull-out unit on the door side to side
    6) Adjust the position of the pull-out unit to the measurement that you took in Step 1.
    7) Pre-drill for the mounting screws (don't drill too deep!)
    8) Secure the door on with the mounting screws.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:54

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

I installed the rev a shelf rv series last week (my cabinet was supposed to come with a double can installed, and after 3 try's kraftmaid still couldn't get me the right one ug). It was fairly straight forward, directions were clear. It did take me a couple hours, but mostly because I have zero home improvement skills lol. The door mounting kit does come separate from the can. And lowes prices were better than rev a shelf online.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update that I found the pull-out and door kit at Menard's and I managed to finally get it installed today! I hurt my back last week so I'm a bit slow, and it didn't take too long at all, once I got the hang of it. It seems kind of flimsy, like heavy trash might make it hard to slide in and out, but we will see when we start using it. It was a lot easier to install than I thought it would be. Thanks again for all the advice.

I wish I could put one under my sink too but the way they did the pipes, there's hardly any room at all under there. No idea why they did it the way they did.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

gale, i thought the revashelf pullout glides weren't very smooth, but after i sprayed them with WD40, it works much better. maybe it might help yours too?

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a good idea-thanks for the tip.

• deedles
    10 years ago

michoumonster: do I see that you have an apron sink? If I'm seeing that correctly, how big of a trash could you fit under there? And, how wide is your sink base? Mine is a 30" and I'm hoping I can fit one of these. My cabs are frameless, no stile, fwiw.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Deedles,

I have a Rev a shelf Stainless pull out trash (the kind that attaches to the door) under my apron sink. I really like this disposal as it is not too big and just the right size for my family especially I have the same unit near the prep sink as well. The stainless bins have a handle and I can just easily pull up the bins and take it to recycle bin or trash. It was not too hard to install. I also have a foot pedal to open the door. I do have a stile in the middle that my cabinet guy installed under the assumption that rev a shelf attaches to the side. It is actually mounted on the floor. I have a GD on the right.

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

GWlolo:

Thanks for posting that photo. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I don't have the stile in the middle -- will it work without it? And how big are the cans? How wide is your sink? My sink cabinet is 30", and I have half of the area under the sink free for a full depth trash pullout -- do you think this will fit? TIA

GD= Garbage Disposal?

Also: What color are your cabinets? I love your kitchen! (what I can see of it)

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

more questions GWlolo:

Could you post a link to the model rev a shelf?

Where did you get the foot pedal? Was it part of the rev a shelf unit, or did you add it? Or did your cabinet guy add it? Please post specs or a link if you have it. I'm diy as much as possible, but have a good carpenter for things I can't handle. Thanks again.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know about the one posted above, but the one I just installed attaches only to the floor. So the stile wasn't needed. I have been looking for foot pedals and had not found a rev a shelf model or one that is easy to install and doesn't require a lot of boogering up of my cabinet or door. Right now I have a finger pull that I am going to install on the bottom instead of the top.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

hi deedles, sorry i didn't get the email followups to this thread. but anyway, hope i can answer your questions now.
    baltomom, i just got your email, but could not reply directly to you. so to answer your questions, please see below.

i have a 33" apron sink. my base cabinet is 27" deep, 34.5" Wide. i have no center stile in my cabinet which is frameless. my cabinet doors are about 24" high.

My trash pullout is a 35 quart model revashelf, door mount with glides on the bottom. total height of the trash pullout is about 18". it is a single trash can with an extra compartment in the back for trashbag storage or you could put a small compost can (but i use my compartment to put dishwashing detergent). I put the link to my model below.

the 35 quart size is plenty big for my family since we have one 35 quart trash pullout under the prep sink also. with 2 35 quart bins, we empty out garbage 1-2 times per week.

the 35 quart trash can has plenty of room above. i just have to make sure that i don't have garbage that sticks up beyond the can too much. i considered getting a lid, but found that we like just pulling open the cabinet and dropping things in, so i never bothered getting a lid.

my garbage disposal was installed right in the middle of the cabinet, but there is plenty of room for the garbage pullout because the actual pullout is narrow and long.
    the tightness for me was in the back because there is plumbing going behind my pullout, but luckily, my cabinet was extra deep so it all just fit.

there are also other revashelf models that are wider and less deep, so you can look for one that will fit the best for your cabinet and plumbing needs. i also considered a double can pullout but the back can would not clear my GD.
    HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: revahself bottom mount model

• deedles
    10 years ago

that does help, thank you! going to check out the link now...

GWlolo: your kitchen does look gorgeous!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!