Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhsc_gw

Shiloh Cabinets? How are they?

rhsc
9 years ago

I am in the process of building a new home and my GC has changed me from a custom cabinet maker to Shiloh cabinets. The custom guy is too backed up to do my house. I have not heard of Shiloh. How is their quality and what kind of reputation do they have? This is a fairly high end home (Wolf, SZ) and I want to make sure the cabinets reflect the money I am putting into the home. Also, I don't want any issues with quality later on. As an FYI, in my last house we used Downsview. Will I be happy with Shiloh? I have not seen them and am waiting to find out where I can go to see them in person. I am not really happy with this last minute change but I do want to know about the cabinets before getting too upset with the GC. Maybe Shiloh will be better?

Comments (173)

• Aglitter
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've never heard that various KraftMaid lines roll out of different production facilities. I think all the products originate together with just different specifications in terms of components. The finishes would likely be done by the same people in the same facility. Beware that what you are told isn't from a dealer pushing a sale to you. The fact that most any cabinetry line you select is going to be a big investment is all the more reason to research as much as you can and be aware of risks you take on before making a deposit. It may take time, but getting more than just 2 quotes for cabinetry, especially when looking for less than mid-range pricing, could really pay off. If you haven't read the previous comments in this thread, this is a great place to start, and you can use the Houzz search bar under the Discussions tab to find out more about what recent customers of KraftMaid and Shiloh are saying. It sounds like you may have a large order which could limit you in terms of budget, but you may want to ask yourself what it is worth to you personally to order cabinetry from a company with a good record for undamaged arrivals and also with an outstanding reputation for warranty fulfillment.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

KraftMaid Vantage is an all wood cabinet. No speck of particle board or fake wood grained vinyl. It's a nicely built cabinet. Andrew is correct....the box stores don't have access to sell KM Vantage. They can do a smaller upgrade by doing a wood end upgrade, instead of wood-grained vinyl ends.

• rocentner
    2 years ago

PIECE OF JUNK

I bought Shiloh cabinets with a painted white finish, blue island 2 years ago and they are a piece of garbage. They arrived with dented corners that we didn't catch so the manufacture wouldn't cover. They dent and scratch with everything that touches them and the paint is peeling off. The store that we bought them from had the rep come to our home to view the cabinets and of course they were no help. He told us the peeling paint was from shoes hitting the doors (4 inches off the ground?) & we do not open our cabinets with our feet. The other theory he wanted to float was water damage. Uh, No. He then pointed out that their was no problem with the upper cabinets. So, I inspected them more closely after he left and sure enough, there is cracking happening on the inside of the doors along the edge. The rep then admitted that 99% of his calls are for their white cabinets. Well, there is your answer....It's Shiloh's process of painting the white cabinets. Blue island is holding up fine. What looks like bubbles is where the paint is peeling.

Don't waste your money on these cabinets

• susanlynn2012
    2 years ago

@rocentner, thank you for sharing the damage on the Shiloh Cabinets and the warning. I appreciate it.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

My Shiloh cabinets were installed last month and as far as I can tell, they are perfect! I sure hope that there is not a finishing problem down the road. 😮 Also ordered some additional shelving and trim that came just a few days later.

The Kitchen Place - One thing that I am unsure of is how to clean my Shiloh cabinets. Does anyone know? My carpenters have gotten dust (wood fragments from MDF) all over the white cabinets. What material should I use to remove the dust without scratching the paint? And then what solution do I use to clean the cabinets?

I had KraftMaid in a previous home. They were very well made and held up beautifully for the 14 years we lived in the house. I actually liked the drawer hardware better on KM than the Blum hardware that Shiloh uses. I am not a fan of the self closing cabinetry. The drawers on the Shiloh feel too light weight to me (same for drawer bottoms.) I have to give the drawers a good push to close. The KM drawers were heavy and the glides worked well.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

KraftMaid has a different reputation particularly for finish quality now than decades ago and at one time used Blum hardware but now no longer does, to the best of my understanding.

Liquid of any type, but especially harsh surfactants, should be minimized on most painted surfaces. If you can vacuum up the dust using a very soft bristle head and preferably without even touching the vacuum head to the paint, just running the hose along the area with a finger underneath to keep it away from the paint, that is your best option. Then wipe up the remaining debris with a microfiber cloth. You can use a spray mister to mist the microfiber cloth lightly with water to get up any stubborn dust. Cabinets do not generally need to be "washed" on any kind of regular basis. That is a good way to shorten the life of your finish. If your cooking methods are such that a lot of food is regularly becoming stuck to the cabinetry, a stainless steel chef's kitchen would probably have been a better choice for maintenance concerns.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

LOL No, I am not a messy cooker. I just want the dust cleaned off and for the cabinets to look like they did when they were installed. I am going to insist that I get to clean the kitchen and bathrooms instead of the "cleaning crew" when our house is at that stage. My builder mentioned the other day that his handyman's wife would do the cleaning and that she uses Fabulouso. I cringed!

• rocentner
    2 years ago

@nhb22 . I hope that you do not have the same experience with your cabinets that we did. The chipping paint and dents started within the first year and the bubbling where you see the paint peeling off started in the second year. To answer the question about cleaning, we only spot clean stains with a little soap and water.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

rocentner

Hi, I hope not!

Which Shiloh cabinets did you purchase? Wood species, style, paint color, etc.? Would love to see a photo of the overall kitchen? There does appear to be a flaw in the paint, but could also be caused by too much/too little humidity in the house. What area do you live in?

• Lisa Smith
    2 years ago

@MDLN can I ask which cabinet door style that is? I just ordered Shiloh Hanover inset in Polar, and wondering if these are Hanover or another door style? So Pretty! Also, can I ask when you received them and how long the lead time was? I'm being told 15-17 weeks.... curious if they are really taking that long?

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

@Lisa Smith, my doors are Aspen beaded inset. They were ordered in 2014. Sorry, I don't recall how long it took to get them, but they were delivered as promised, no delays or damage. Am still very happy with the cabinets; no problems at all.

LOL, just looked at the Hanover door, it's great. Wonder if I picked Aspen because of wonderful memories skiing in Aspen.😊

Good luck, know this is a challenging time for most!

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

We were told 3 months from deposit to finished product from our cabinet manufacturer in mid-2020, and it took 7 months. Prepare for the worst. It won't be sooner than the estimate, that's for sure, in this materials shortage environment we are passing through at this time. I would think cracking along joints might be a more early expected result of home humidity swings than what the previoua poster is experiencing: chipping, denting, and bubbling. That sounds more like finish failure from the factory. It should be under warranty that early on.

• Linda Bryant
    2 years ago

Ordering Shiloh for my master bath. Told they have 6 month leadtime. I have Aspect currently in my laundry room installed 10/2019. I am very happy with them. Painted in agreeable grey. No problems with them.

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design
    2 years ago

Silverlined, if you read their warranty, it doesn’t really cover anything I’m sad to say.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Thanks for the warranty information, @Cabinets by Design. I've been told a warranty is a good measure of how long a company expects a product to last. Shiloh seems to have a lot of mixed reviews here at Houzz. Many people, generally customers from around 2005 up through 2015, have been almost exclusively happy with the cabinetry. Then there are a slew of more recent reviews with problems on several levels that the company is nonresponsive in fixing. I wonder if something has changed with the manufacturing or coating process? Not every customer even in more recent times has been displeased. Shiloh was on my short list of manufacturers for my recent renovation, but the negative reviews put me over the edge to cross them out as I decided not to take the risk.

• JudyPh
    2 years ago

My question is how can you know if the designer that you happen to get when you walk into a showroom/gallery is really good? Aparently it is assumed that we get the girl who first talked to us. This is the first time I have ever picked out cabinets! But it seems the designer in this remodel process is pretty important!

Also, how do Shiloh poplar cabinets hold up? Are they just the cheap option? I’m wondering about strength and durability. Any suggestions?

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

It is a mixed offering in terms of what you might get from a cabinet salesperson in terms of cabinetry layout suggestions. The standard advice for a large, expensive remodel is to hire an independent kitchen designer (KD) who will guide you through the entire process which can easily encompass so much more than just the cabinetry. In terms of the wood that Shiloh uses, I've seen a few reviews about doors cracking and boxes warped out of square, but many people have been happy customers, as well, so you must judge the amount of risk you want to take. If you have a larger budget, you will definitely want to get some additional quotes from other suppliers for comparison and consider veering away from companies that seem to have a plethora of warranty fulfillment complaints online. The coating on your cabinetry is much more likely to be the first point of failure with many brands than the wood itself.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Judy, Here are two POPLAR wood cabinets I have done in Shiloh. Both clients had high expectations and both of them love their new kitchens. The first picture was still under construction as is the finish River Rock. The second picture, the homeowner sent to me...and it is the finish called Sterling. Hope this helps.

Shiloh Cabinetry: Square Flat Panel Flush Inset: Arctic & River Rock · More Info

Shiloh Statesville Poplar with Sterling Stain · More Info

• Christina Sterling
    2 years ago

They are gorgeous! My Shiloh will be white on the back and Harbor on the island. I think these came out beautifully. Thank you for posting!

• Richard Talbot
    2 years ago

Do you have to pay extra to have the inside the same color of the outside. for example if you put glass kn some doors i want to see the color of the cabinets.

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

Yes, a finish on the interior of the cabinet box to accommodate a glass front is always extra with any brand and is part of what contributes to the cost of glass fronted cabinets. Glass insets add a look of depth and elegance to a kitchen, but it tends to be a trend that is not seen as much in the most recent designs, so make sure you really like it before committing. Glass doors also tend to suit larger kitchens better where you have plenty of storage and can sacrifice the glass front areas for display. Otherwise, the necessary storage of everyday items tends to look perpetually cluttered, something that a lot of people don't anticipate when basing their decisions just on what is seen in show kitchens. I have also spoken with one person who has glass fronts throughout her kitchen cabinetry who says that the glass requires daily cleaning to look its best.

• kdockman
    2 years ago

Quick question, with the Shiloh cabinets, are the inset more expensive than the full overlay?

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design
    2 years ago

Yes but I have to ask if you're more concerned with form or function? I only sell frameless ( Eclipse) because it gives my client the best storage. Inset has the least and either the gaps are too big or the doors stick with a change in heat or humidity. Good luck with anything associated with Shiloh. I had soooooo many problems that I won't sell it anymore

• A S
    2 years ago

Shiloh cabinets were the same price for either option. Mine were just delivered today.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

Shiloh INSET is the same price as their PARTIAL OVERLAY. FULL OVERLAY is MORE $$$!

• Christina Sterling
    2 years ago

Well our semi custom builder uses full overlay in the kitchen as a standard. We upgraded to inset and paid an additional 25k or more. I feel like our builder totally wrapped us off.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

$25K more? Maybe your full overlay quote was for frameless full overlay construction? It would be a bit less than inset. Part of the increase is probably due to issues and expectations with inset. Inset is not for everyone...and you need really skilled carpenters to install them. That could have been part of the increase. But $25k seems steep...you must have had a lot of cabinetry!

When I say Inset isn't for everyone....I mean: People who are very detail oriented, extremely particular and/or OCD shouldn't get inset unless they get a top of the line cabinet like Plain & Fancy. If it would bother you that the gaps around each opening aren't perfectly the same, then don't get inset. I once had a client that loved her new kitchen but she so over-focused on the gaps around the doors....she didn't realize that it would bother her so much.

• Christina Sterling
    2 years ago

The Shiloh brand inset or full overlay are the same price. My builder uses Aspect cabinetry full overlay as their standard cabinetry in the kitchen. My cabinets were installed recently and the corners where the frame meets there is paint cracking and the frame splitting apart a bit. This is on all my uppers, and stacked. A few on the perimeter bottoms. It’s not as noticeable on the dark island. I reached out to my Shiloh rep to ask if this is normal etc. not complaining just trying to figure out if this will be resolved before closing. We’re supposed to have a meeting soon.

• A S
    2 years ago

@christinasterling I had my Shiloh cabinets installed last month and due to delays on countertop/backsplash and other thing my contractor is coming back this week and will be doing some touch up. For the first time due to construction and painting chaos in my house I finally did a thorough inspection this morning and a couple of my uppers have that same line. I have to say upon close inspection there’s quite a few dings and chips that I now see that he will have to touch up. 😕

• Jackie & Patrick
    2 years ago

Any update on recent lead times? 12-15 weeks?

• Jean S
    2 years ago

I’m also curious whether anyone knows the current Shiloh lead times. We are getting ready to order bathroom vanities and linen towers for two bathrooms and Shiloh is one of our options

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    last year

I think they're still around 12-15 weeks....from time of factory acknowledgment....not the order date. Acknowledgements come 1-3 days after order.

• PRO
    KH Interiors
    last year

I'm a designer and husband is a GC

Have used many brands over the years including mom/pop custom Shiloh is a good quality cabinet for its mid range price point

if a door panel is broken or dinged, our rep is on it and has it replaced asap i like using them and our clients have always been pleased

• bridgesales01
    last year

In building a high end (custom) home recently, we were advised to use Shiloh Cabinetry for a 6-BR, 6-BA home with (3) kitchen areas. The SHILOH Cabinetry (Parent Company "W.W. Wood Products") were horrible, just horrible! Our order was in the magnitude of $60k of cabinetry an due to splits in the cabinet face frames, deceptive substitutions of mdf and/or particle board with wood grain contact paper end panels, incorrect sizing, low end soft close hardware, shipping damages, etc. we were forced to abandon 70% of the purchased cabinetry in favor of locally manufactured Amish cabinetry.

IMPORTANT: Any time a builder, interior designer, cabinet designer, architect suggests a customer will receive as good of or better product quality from a large cabinetry manufacturer, I'll just say we interviewed six (6) Amish cabinet makers and all were great and we selected the one who displayed requisite skill and could meet our urgent schedule demands and the result was TRUELY CUSTOM-CUSTOM product, ON-TIME, and at a better price point than SHILOH CABINETRY, and we received great durable finishes, superior cabinet box construction including cabinet grade clear finished cabinet floors for superior resistance to water damage, solid hard wood cabinet doors and cabinet end panels, high end soft close hinges and glides, etc.

Our SHILOH CABINETRY experience was a train-wreck experience right down to attempting damage control via re-manufacture of key part (i.e.: doors, cabinet box frames, etc. and their re-order process was slow with further damages detected upon arrival at project site. DON'T LET YOUR PROFESSIONAL TEAM SNOW YOU! LOCAL CABINET MAKERS (ESPECIALLY THE AMISH) WILL BE BEST SUITED TO DELIVERING YOU YOUR CUSTOM CABINETRY SOLUTIONS, PERIOD!

• Jean S
    last year

Thanks - we’re currently doing the project with Bertch cabinets (which turned out beautifully) but I’ll keep that advice in mind for future projects.

• A S
    last year

Would you mind sharing the Amish companies names? I got Shiloh cabinets for my kitchen and want a bathroom vanity in a custom color but don’t want Shiloh. Have been wondering where to find good quality custom. Not that the vanity needs to be custom, but the color I want.

• susanlynn2012
    last year

Thank you Bridgesales01 for sharing.

• Jane K - Ohio
    last year
    • If you have the option of Showplace, skip Shiloh and go with Showplace. I used Showplace in my current kitchen, and just remodeled the kitchen I'm moving to using Shiloh. I didn't think I wouldn't notice a difference between Showplace and Shiloh. Couldn't be more wrong. Drawers, slides, trays, everything about Showplace is higher quality.
  • Carla Semancik
    last year

I am sorry. I just saw the question about the Amish cabinet maker. Are you in Ohio?

• cristinehoffmann
    last year
    last modified: last year

Shiloh/Eclipse cabinets are AWFUL! DO NOT ORDER THEM! We received many damaged pieces. The retailer agreed with us that they were damaged and needed to be replaced. The retailer brought Shiloh reps to the house and they were rude and didn't want to replace them. After much insistence they agreed to replace half of them. They arrived today after opening two boxes, more scratches and the with the combination of the cabinet being warped and incorrect size we now have a gapl! We will be opening the rest of the boxes soon and will try and to receive a price reduction! Good luck to us!

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design
    last year

So sorry for your experience. As a dealer, Shiloh is hands down the worst cabinet company I have dealt with in my 25 year career.

• cristinehoffmann
    last year

I wish I had done more review research on Shiloh! The sales rep is offering to send out a repair guy to fix them. Not that crazy about it because how will he ever match the factory finish?

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design
    last year

That's not acceptable. They should replace the items. Check your warranty

• cristinehoffmann
    last year

This is the second go around with these cabs! Eclipse sales rep is suggesting he have a repair company fix them. HA! I'm not falling for that .... because then the responsibility falls on the repair company. I'm requesting price reduction for a few pieces and replacements for others as we had done a few months ago when the original order was received. Waiting for response.

• PRO
    Cabinets by Design
    last year

Stick to your guns.

• Lynn Rapciak
    3 days ago

Thank you!

• designsaavy
    3 days ago

Does anyone know if there are Amish Cabinet Builders near Charleston, SC?

• cristinehoffmann
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

designsaavy .... Amish made "Valley Kitchen Designs" in Ohio will ship to SC. https://valleykitchendesigns.com/. We are using them for our kitchen, pantry, dining room and bathroom after having an AWFUL experience with Shilo/Eclipse!

• Aglitter
    2 days ago
    last modified: 9 hours ago

Doing a quick online search of cabinetry makers in Charleston doesn't bring up any that advertise as Amish cabinetry makers, though there may be a few which you might find by calling individually. You will probably find a broader selection of Amish cabinetry makers up in Pennsylvania if you are willing to travel that far. QCCI is a one of the larger USA cabinetry companies that has an excellent reputation and is based in Pennsylvania, and I would recommend you checking with them if you are interested in top quality, traditional style. Plain & Fancy is another company that is located in Pennsylvania and has long held a reputation for premium finishes. Some people say it looks like their cabinets were dipped in the coating they are so perfect. Note that QCCI makes everything in house last I knew while Plain & Fancy at least in the past has utilized a third party for box components which means the interiors may not be as high of quality as QCCI's, though the coating may appear superior.

Both QCCI and Plain & Fancy are going to be at the top of the price range, however. If you want to save money and look at local cabinetry makers, you have plenty of choices. My caution would be that cabinetry coatings that are not done in a factory where the cabinets are sprayed with two-part, post-catalyzed conversion varnish and heat cured may not provide the durable finish that you think you are paying for. Look for a company that offers a lifetime warranty on finish if you want a kitchen that will last for decades.

I do happen to know a young cabinet builder who was trained in the Amish tradition out East and does impeccable work, but he is now located in Claremore, Oklahoma. His name is Tim Matveyuk, and he has a Houzz profile here: https://www.houzz.com/pro/tim-matveyuk/precision-woodworking-and-tile-llc

Several of Tim's family members did tile work on my own home renovations and were outstanding. I discussed having him do my kitchen cabinets and really wish that I had gone with him because I ended up with some issues with the local manufacturer I selected that I do not feel I would have had with him, so it would have been worth it to me to go ahead and navigate the distance. I realize Oklahoma is a long way from Charleston, but you would probably save so much money working with him over a mass manufacturer that it might be worth your effort if you wanted the Amish look and quality.

I did my own two-part, post-catalyzed coating on the unfinished cabinetry I ordered, so that was not an issue for me, but you could negotiate with a smaller builder like Tim to take cabinets to a professional finisher or to have the builder use a coating like Envirolak that is one of the few one-part coatings that tests similar to two-part coating durability.

• designsaavy
    19 hours ago

Thank you kindly for your replies. My daughter unfortunately believes she is in a time crunch and navigated a different direction. Thank you again.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor