Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wesg_gw

corner - super susan vs. blum corner drawers

wesg
15 years ago

Just starting the kitchen design adventure.

Our kitchen is smallish ~ 11 x 12 with two entrances. Layout is a U on one side with a bank of cabinets facing the open side of the U.

In short we will have two interior corners. My thought has been to use a corner sink in one of those corners and use the other corner for storage. Pots / Pans etc. since it is adjacent to the stove. Planning on using Sherr's cabinets.

Long preamble and here is my question. I'm considering the blum corner systems or a super susan in this second corner. I've seen a lot of discussion on super susan's but none on the blum corner drawer system.

http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/40/80/index.php

I'm if anyone has experience with these and what the pro / cons might be.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Comments (7)

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Have you priced them? Are you sure Scherr's offers them?

I have no hands on experience, but if Blum makes it, I think it's going to be pretty darn good, and they look really cool.

I'd expect quite an upcharge over a susan system, but I'm always a little skeptical about heavy stuff on susans.

Personally, if the cost wasn't too much higher, I'd love to try them.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

If you're putting in a corner sink, what about corner drawers with the same angle rather than the ones w/the center cut out ("V" cut)?

Scroll down to the bottom for the "Corner Drawers" description/discussion.

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/kitchen.no.wall.cabinets.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner Drawers

• wesg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buel,

I honestly had not thought of that obvious option. For a face framed cabinet, as was shown in your link, it is an easy swap with a slightly more useful drawer shape.

I was not specific on this point, but Sherr's makes frameless cabinets. Since we will be using frameless cabinets the situation is a bit more complex. You would need a spacer to either side of the drawer box to allow the drawer not to be bound up in the corner. The blum solution has a workaround for this where the drawer front flexes.

nice link by the way.

Orbus,

A super susan does not have the weight concern of a lazy susan. It is actually two turntables sitting with one on the cabinet floor and one on a shelf. There is therefore no center pole to obstruct the turntable and the weight is held by the shelf.

In regards to if Sherr's offers them, Blum has cabinet dimensions on their website and Sherr will make a cabinet to your specification. So anything is an option. I do not know if they would integrate the hardware, but they do sell blum hardware so there is a decent chance. If not someone could always get this worked during the cabinet install.

I believe it is expensive. However super susan turntables are not cheap either. : )

• maydl
    15 years ago

I'm nuts about my two Super-Susans. They hold so much more than I ever expected: ALL of my largish collection of small electric appliances and saucepans/skillets, and there is still room for new stuff, even though my turntables have the "V" cut out of them. I put my heavy KitchenAid stand mixer on its side on the bottom turntable of one of the Super Susans, so that the weight would be supported by the cabinet floor.

I arranged my saucepans/skillets like the spokes of a wheel, with the round pan bodies around the edge of the turntables and the handles pointing inward. I have too many--and am collecting more all the time--so I had to nest them, but it hasn't been a problem.

• bethv
    15 years ago

I have your same layout except two super susans in the corners instead of a sink in one. I like the super susans because they hold a lot. I have foods in one and pots, pans and large bowls in the other. I was going to put my pots & pans in drawers, but they didn't fit very well so the drawers wouldn't hold as much. I think you should layout where everything will go, and then decide which type of cabinet would work for those items. Good luck!

• iloveflowersinpa
    15 years ago

I also have a deep corner cupboard that has neither a Lazy Susan nor Blum corner drawers. It has a 2 piece hinged door which completely covers the opening of the cupboard. True, I have to get on my hands and knees to get to the deepest space, but there is a TON of room in that sucker. It's great for all the cookware, and cookies sheets and turkey roaster and food processor, and the stand mixer, etc.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Thing with the drawers, though, is that you can get 3 layer of storage, vs. only 2 for most susan systems.

The susans will take a little more advantage of the side corners, but the rear corner is better used by the drawers.

Since you don't want spacers and will be using the blum drawers with the moving fronts, check them for a pinch factor: I'm sure it's the sort of thing you'd get used to, but I've always thought that style might nip the unaware.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations