Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldhouse1_gw

A year in the making. My new kitchen w/pics

oldhouse1
12 years ago

Our home is a simple 1840 Canadiana. We were living life quite comfortably when we drove by a home we always jokingly said we would buy if it ever went up for sale. Well, there it was, a big for sale sign in the middle of the lawn. Long story short we moved from our 4 bathroom home to one 1/3 the size with one bath that also happened to be off the kitchen. We immediately set out to design a small addition which included a kitchen. That was three years ago. With the exception of the foundation and framing, this has been a complete DIY project. After a year and a month of doing dishes in the bathroom I now have a kitchen. It doesn't have alot of bells and whistles and although we didn't necessarily want a period kitchen we did want one that suited an older home.

Details:

Ikea Tidaholm cupboards, professionally sprayed in Cloud White with alot of customization. Unfortunately, these have since been discontinued.

AEG Electrolux 36" freestanding stove. Bought for less then half price because someone bought it, used it once and returned it because they decided they wanted gas. We don't have gas and recently put in Geo Thermal heating/air conditioning. Wasn't in the budget to bring in propane. Stove was so reasonable that if we decide to do so later we can.

Liebherr 30" freestanding refrigerator. Purchased for half price because it had a dent dent in the bottom half. Bought a new door so it was good as new, until they delivered it and dented the top half. They replaced the door. Neither will be installed until house is complete (just in case).

Ikea farmhouse sink and dishwasher. I'm actually very pleased that it works as well as it does.

Perrin and Rohl Aquatine faucet in polished nickel.

Island and Jam cupboard - Special Order from Camlen Furniture in Quebec. Purchased with hand planed top in pine and may or not replace with marble. Will live with it for a while.

10" random length pine floors. All hand finished and dinged and finshed with Waterlox. This alone took us several weeks. We love the finish.

Honed Absolute Black granite. Bought the kitchen at Ikea's 20% off sale. Rather then cash back you get Ikea gift certificates. Used these and another $1300.

Faber Inca Pro hood

Light fixture- Sescolite, Burlington, Ontario

Finished kitchen, $19 thousand including all the small stuff.

I would like to thank the GW community. I found you when most decisions had already been made but early enough to make some positive changes based on the vast amount of information shared on this site. I didn't ask for much advise but I can assure you that I read everything written on the subjects that I researched on this site and then some. I do not have the incredible knowledge that so many of you do who share so willingly to those who ask but have from time to time tried to help out on the very few subjects I know a little about. I have taken much more than I have been able to give. I am grateful to have had a place that I could frequent with people who share the same desire to have a kitchen of their dreams no matter their budget. And to those who think their day will never come, keep the faith. I never thought that I would get here. After seeing so many unbelievable kitchens, big and small, elaborate and understated, new and updated thanks for looking at mine.

Comments (155)

• function_first
    12 years ago

I've looked at this multiple times not, and keep getting so wrapped up in the pictures that I run out of time before I post. This time I skipped past the pictures to be sure that I got a chance to tell you how absolutely, breathtakingly stunning your kitchen is. The details are just captivating. Love, love, love the ceiling in all of its glorious detail.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

rhome410, I don't know whether or not you'll see this. I promised you an e-mail. I did send one but after the fact realized that I hadn't changed my e-mail address, so I'm quite sure you didn't get it. I've changed it on my profile but when I go to send you another e-mail it's still showing my old address (although my profile is showing the correct one). I sent a message to the tech dept to find out what the problem is or what I might be doing wrong and haven't heard back. Didn't want you to think that I forgot about you.

• DinalovesDesign
    12 years ago

Your gorgeous kitchen reminds me of Grandma & making happy memories. Yet it's so sharp and modern, I'm in awe.

My girl Vivian (our fixer) has no kitchen at the moment but you've given me hope that all that work will be worth it. Thanks!

Warmly Dina

• Yvonne B
    12 years ago

Wow - this is absolutely beautiful! Everything fits, and I love how you made it your own to fit the period of the house. Congratulations!

• bird_lover6
    12 years ago

That is just beautiful. It looks like it's always been there and in tip-top perfect shape. LOL

Your kitchen has got to be in my top five favorite kitchens.

• natal
    12 years ago

I agree with Bird ... definitely one of my favorites! Love all the natural light ... and your island is perfect! Well done!

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

oldhouse...I sent rhome an email for you...I have her home email. So she will get back to you I am sure. c

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Oldhouse1,
    I did get 2 emails from you and answered the 2nd, figuring it was going to the right address, but I guess it didn't. I will check and resend.

Thanks, Trailrunner, for the heads up!!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks trailrunner, that was so kind of you.:)

• trailrunner
    12 years ago

no prob...glad to do it you are both so sweet :) c

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I re-sent... did it work this time?

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Oldhouse1, your kitchen is beautiful! Perfect balance of staying true to the character of the house, but adding modern features. Just lovely!

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

What a pleasure to come on this kitchen. I too have an older home and wanted a kitchen tthat would fit it.

Yours is wonderful. Let me list a few of the things I love here.
    The ceiling, of course, is perfect. Interesting and elegant, yet unobtrusive.
    The simple lines of the cabinets and knobs
    Open shelves kept simple, usable, and uncluttered
    That wonderful work table in the center
    The warmth of the beautiful floor--worth every minute you spent on it.
    The contrast of dark woods and metal (the table, chest between the windows, windsor chair, lamp, and pulls) with the painted cabs, all fire light warmed with warm floor, glowing reds.

You must want to dance as you move around in this space.
    Thank you for sharing it.

• threegraces
    12 years ago

So gorgeous! I love it! I love what you did with the IKEA cabinets. That is exactly the style and color I wanted but it is not longer available. Congrats!

• beachpea3
    12 years ago

Dear Oldhouse... I just came upon your wonderful kitchen here...as another old home owner (c. 1680) I appreciate all how you were able to capture the essence of the old and incorporate the new.. I am immediately drawn to the warmth of your kitchen. It would be easy to spend most of the day there! Some of the details I admire most are the windows, the open shelves and the way the hood is tucked out of sight. Not to mention how the island and jam cupboard give the kitchen a personality all of its own and how all your other furniture and accessories that make it a home. Love it!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with the rest of the house...ours has been a 35 year love affair...10 years will go by quickly!

• thepaintedlady_gw
    12 years ago

I want to thank you for designing my future kitchen for me.

This saves lots of time!

Ha.

Anyway, really great kitchen - I will be lifting some bits from it.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

The strict symmetry is so pleasing, it really settles my morning with a smile - thank you.

And this from one so chaotic as to never be able to achieve such serene symmetry - maybe that's all the more reason I enjoy it when I see it. You must be a very calm person...

• cindyinct
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen renovation. Love all your choices, even the base corner cabinet, which looks really functional. Was the insert provided as part of the cabinet, or was that ordered separately? How wide is it? 45 or 48 inches?

• nc_sandyfeet
    12 years ago

You can tell, just by looking that a lot of hard work went into this kitchen.. It is amazing!! Every little detail is perfect. Good job!!
    I hope you don't mind my asking, but where did you find your island/worktable? I have been looking for something to go in my kitchen and that is it!!
    Thanks,
    Sandy

• nc_sandyfeet
    12 years ago

Haha!! Just went back and re-read your original post!! I don't guess they'd want to make another one and ship it to NC!!LOL! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking....:)

Sandy

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

Oh wow! I missed this back in September. I love your choices and love how finished it is. The pitchers on top of the chest, artwork and all the little details are just beautiful. You must be enjoying your new kitchen so much!! Congratulations!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

Adorable + charming. Enjoy!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i don't think i've seen your kitchen before. what a lovely job! congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Just amazing how beautiful your kitchen is and the cabinets are gorgeous! I wish they would have not discontinued this Ikea cabinet since that is what I would have done also and professionally sprayed them BM Cloud White. Thanks for sharing. All the organization items in the kitchen is amazing also and it is what I want in my kitchen.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Wonderful! Glad this got bumped since I missed it the first time around. Can I ask how much it cost to get the parts professionally painted? Do you know what the finishing process was? Also, how was the vent hood enclosure made? Can you share how you did the cabinet "legs"? So many wonderful details! Thank you!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haven't had a chance to spend much time here during the holidays so what a pleasant surprise to see some additional comments.

nc sandyfeet, I believe Camlen has retailers selling on the east coast now. To be honest if you know of a carpenter it would be fairly easy to build. If you would like the dimensions or closeups I would be more then happy to send them to you. Thank you for your kind words.

http://www.camlenfurniture.com/ContactEN.php

mamadadapaige, sabjimata and kateskouros, Thank you!

lynn2006, Thanks, I'm not sure why they discontinued this door style. It was so popular and used by many designers in Canada including Sarah Richardson. I'm actually very impressed with the quality as is everyone else who questioned my using them.

scrappy25, The doors and drawers were just under $1000. They were sanded, cleaned with tsp and sprayed with 3 coats of BM Advance. I painted all the additional pieces. Had I known how wonderful Advance is to paint with I probably would have tackled them myself. The finish is as hard as nails and a breeze to clean.

My husband built a box to fit the vent hood and then built the decorative surround. As far as the toe kicks are concerned we didn't use the legs that Ikea provided for the cabinets. My husband built frames to sit the boxes on and then made a template for the toe kicks and these were nailed to the frame. It's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen.

Thanks again for your kind words. Happy New Year to you all.

• EllieThomas
    12 years ago

I just found this post and have to say I agree with all of the comments. Simply stunning.

Might I ask where you got the open cupboards that the dishes are on? I like those.

Ellie

• cheri127
    12 years ago

Fabulous in every way! Really! I'm quite jealous.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Thanks for your answers! Your husband must be a master carpenter. His work is impeccable . Your kitchen has become an inspiration kitchen fir me.I have been studying the details and have some questions, if you don't mind.

1. Did you set your baseboards and crown base so that the fronts are in plane with the cabinet doors?
    2. Also, I see that there are gables or end panels on either side of the stove. Do they reach the floor to support the counter and how did you incorporate that into the design?
    3. Similarly, do you have a support between the paneled dishwasher and the domsjo sink?
    4. Do you have panels between the wall cabinets and the hood?
    5. How did you build that thick fridge surround?
    6.is that quarter round on the granite bordering the beadboard?
    7. For your hutch to the right of the sink, is that a 39 in cabinet with a 15in stacked on top? How high are your ceilings?

Yikes, sorry for so many questions. Your work is truly amazing.

• rmcdaniel
    12 years ago

I am seriously in love with that chandelier! I couldn't find it on the Sescolite site; do you have any clues that would help? Name, manufacturer, anything?

Your kitchen is gorgeous...I have spent so much time looking at the pictures and admiring all the details.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Surprised I didn't see this before. Absolutely lovely! Really love the attention to detail. Great job.

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

This is one of my all-time favorite kitchens! It's gorgeous, stunning, perfect! I absolutely love it. I can't stop looking at your pictures. If you have more to share, please do! They are magazine-worthy.

• feliceinct
    12 years ago

I know this is months old, but I am in LOVE with the 6 arm black chandelier in this kitchen. The whole kitchen is breathtaking! I have been looking for a similar light but haven't had luck. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

• eleena
    12 years ago

OMG! I want this kitchen!!!

I have not seen it b/c I had been *away* from GW for months.

Fabulous!

• susie123
    12 years ago

Oh, I love what you did! It's so charming and beautiful!

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Oldhouse- beautiful and perfect for your house!
    I am jealous of your corner cabinet arrangement - but we were shy by 2 inches to use the system.
    Is the undersink an aftermarket?

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

Thank you, feliceinct, for bringing this thread back to the top. Loved it when I saw it the first time, and even more now. Quite poosbly my favorite GW kitchen of all time.

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

I didn't see it the first time; I'm REALLY glad it got bumped so I get another chance, because I think it's a work of art.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I missed this too, and I adore your kitchen. The ceiling is exactly what I plan on doing and I'm so happy to see what it will look like. You and your husband did a wonderful job and I love that it fits the style of your house so perfectly.

• polie
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh. I've not seen these photographs until tonight. Your kitchen is beautiful and it looks practical, too. Great job!

• peonybush
    12 years ago

Just sooooo beautiful!
    Loving that ceiling. Picture #3--you've gotta be standing there looking in and just smiling. Great job!

• NuestraCasita
    12 years ago

So beautiful. Picturesque looking out the windows. Very warm and love the free standing furniture. Can't stop drooling over your beautiful kitchen!

• catkin
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen!

Will you please share the size/type of back splash tile you used, thanks!

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

New member to GW Forums and wish to compliment you on your lovely thank-you post and of course your beautiful, functional kitchen. I hope to be as generous with thanks here someday too. Bravo!

• library_girl
    11 years ago

I am in awe of your talent. Both in design and execution. Beautiful!!!

• Emily Mathis
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen, in so many ways! I would likely have a million questions, but at the moment I'm wondering what the paint color is -- I read that you used BM Advance, and someone else mentioned Cloud White as a color, but it wasn't clear to me that that was the color you chose. I am looking for a white that is not screaming-white, but not yellowish (or obviously anything else) either. Thanks in advance!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Emily,

Yes, the paint colour is Cloud White. It's a wonderful colour, exactly what you are looking for. White but not stark and after 4 years no yellowing. The advance has held up really well and am happy to say that my kitchen still looks exactly the same. Even I am pleased to see that, as I have not gone back to see these pictures in a very long time.

Thanks for digging them up.

Sue

• rebeccamomof123
    8 years ago

Yours might be one of my favorite kitchens ever! It looks like a kitchen you can really cook in, with a warm, lived-in feeling that is often lost in these big remodels. It's warm and inviting yet still bright and crisp looking. I love your use of white ceramic pitchers throughout which give it a country farmhouse nod. Sorry if I missed this in the thread - where is your furniture style island from? And the chair under the window with the stool beside it is so simple, yet such a perfect placement for form and function. Your guests are made to feel right at home pulling up a chair to keep you company while you prep in this beautiful space!!! Enjoy it for years to come, it is truly a classically beautiful kitchen - one that is timeless and will always be in style!

• oldhouse1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, thank you rebeccamom!

I needed to hear that. Our house started off as a labour of love but quickly became just a lot of labour and not a lot of love. We are still working on this old house and while it is at times daunting and tiring, hearing nice comments like this helps us to feel that our hard work is paying off. You are so kind!

The Island is made by Camlen furniture in Quebec

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You and hubby are so talented! I love it all, it's perfect and should be in a magazine. I didn't have time to read all the comments so maybe it is!!! I'm so proud of you!! I love when people can do stuff like this and you know it's much better, too. Great job. What a trooper doing dishes a year and a half in the bathroom, I can't even imagine how happy you must be to not have to be doing that anymore.