Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
A year in the making. My new kitchen w/pics

Posted by oldhouse1 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 20:50

Our home is a simple 1840 Canadiana. We were living life quite comfortably when we drove by a home we always jokingly said we would buy if it ever went up for sale. Well, there it was, a big for sale sign in the middle of the lawn. Long story short we moved from our 4 bathroom home to one 1/3 the size with one bath that also happened to be off the kitchen. We immediately set out to design a small addition which included a kitchen. That was three years ago. With the exception of the foundation and framing, this has been a complete DIY project. After a year and a month of doing dishes in the bathroom I now have a kitchen. It doesn't have alot of bells and whistles and although we didn't necessarily want a period kitchen we did want one that suited an older home.

Details:

Ikea Tidaholm cupboards, professionally sprayed in Cloud White with alot of customization. Unfortunately, these have since been discontinued.

AEG Electrolux 36" freestanding stove. Bought for less then half price because someone bought it, used it once and returned it because they decided they wanted gas. We don't have gas and recently put in Geo Thermal heating/air conditioning. Wasn't in the budget to bring in propane. Stove was so reasonable that if we decide to do so later we can.

Liebherr 30" freestanding refrigerator. Purchased for half price because it had a dent dent in the bottom half. Bought a new door so it was good as new, until they delivered it and dented the top half. They replaced the door. Neither will be installed until house is complete (just in case).

Ikea farmhouse sink and dishwasher. I'm actually very pleased that it works as well as it does.

Perrin and Rohl Aquatine faucet in polished nickel.

Island and Jam cupboard - Special Order from Camlen Furniture in Quebec. Purchased with hand planed top in pine and may or not replace with marble. Will live with it for a while.

10" random length pine floors. All hand finished and dinged and finshed with Waterlox. This alone took us several weeks. We love the finish.

Honed Absolute Black granite. Bought the kitchen at Ikea's 20% off sale. Rather then cash back you get Ikea gift certificates. Used these and another $1300.

Faber Inca Pro hood

Light fixture- Sescolite, Burlington, Ontario

Finished kitchen, $19 thousand including all the small stuff.

I would like to thank the GW community. I found you when most decisions had already been made but early enough to make some positive changes based on the vast amount of information shared on this site. I didn't ask for much advise but I can assure you that I read everything written on the subjects that I researched on this site and then some. I do not have the incredible knowledge that so many of you do who share so willingly to those who ask but have from time to time tried to help out on the very few subjects I know a little about. I have taken much more than I have been able to give. I am grateful to have had a place that I could frequent with people who share the same desire to have a kitchen of their dreams no matter their budget. And to those who think their day will never come, keep the faith. I never thought that I would get here. After seeing so many unbelievable kitchens, big and small, elaborate and understated, new and updated thanks for looking at mine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A year in the making. My new kitchen w/pics

I love it. I love the perfect period look, and I love all the modern extra's hidden away. You've inspired me to get one of those two level pull outs for under the sink. That corner pot pullout is the coolest. Great moldings around the window, too. Also love the creamware collection so beautifully displayed. I can't believe your budget. That kitchen looks like three times that. Congratulations!

o

I absolutely love it! Enjoy!!

o

Beautiful!!

o

Warm, clean, and well appointed. It looks like the perfect place to call home. Congratulaions on a job well done. The wait was clearly well worth it! I love the snickerdoodle and flapjack containers. Are they stoneware, metal, antique?

o

Congratulations on a job well done! Enjoy!

o

Very nice. I like the color and thin edge countertops.

o

This space is so beautiful, charming and full of character. I had to look at the photos several times to take in everything. I normally don't like things out on counters, but everything you picked is beautifully placed. Your collections and choices all fit together so well...... love it!

PS. Love the lighting choice.

o

What an incredible job! Your kitchen is a beauty. Enjoy!

o

Simply beautiful! What a great job!

o

I adore your new kitchen. I want to cozy up with a cup of tea and take in all the eye candy. Gorgeous job!

o

This is my kind of kitchen. I just love it. It calm and soothing and it feels old and cozy yet new, bright and clean.

What I love most about these kind of kitchens is the way food looks in them. Bring in your lettuce and tomatoes from the garden, and that's your decor. Pick apples and that's your decor.

One thing I particularly like is the windows that are below counter height. It makes it look like an old room you made into a kitchen.

o

Just gorgeous! Congrats on a fantastic job! What is that beautiful creamy wall color?

o

Everything is perfect. I love the "old" look that you achieved and then you open the cupboards and WOW...modern and organized at its best. You did a remarkable job. Will look forward to seeing the whole house when you have a minute to show it. c

o

Okay, hands down it is my favorite kitchen !

o

Your kitchen is just charming. I love the color and the free standing cabinet. Great job.

o

Just a delight. I love the open shelves, and your attention to the ceiling. Enjoy this!
Lynn

o

Fantastic job, particularly on your budget. Your kitchen really looks nice. Love, love the floors. Enjoy your time in your charming new space!!

o

I second everything that was previously said. LOVE IT!!!

o

Your kitchen is absolutely picture perfect.
But what really struck me was how eloquent your "thank you note" to the GW community was.
Enjoy your new kitchen!

o

It looks terrific!!!

o

I would love to know the wall color too. Thanks.

o

What a beautiful kitchen! I love all of details. You must be so happy with the end result.

Congrats and happy cooking!
Eliz

o

seriously, what a nice job! very nice details in what looks to be a very functional space. i love the ceilings and baseboards and the floors and the cabinetry ...there's really nothing i don't like! enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

o

Beautiful job. It is so warm and inviting. I love it, every detail!

o

What a charming kitchen! Very inviting and it does look like it might have been there all along.

o

It is beautiful.
These are things that make this kitchen so fitting to the home, IMHO. This is one of the best fitting kitchen for the home I have seen in a long time. It really says that I am in an old house and I belong in that house.
It does not have a tile backsplash, instead beadboard. This is very fitting for this house and kitchen.
The open shelving island WITHOUT a prep sink, very reminiscent of an old farm table that got raised. Furniture legs on Ikea cabinets.
The ceiling! Oh so right for this kitchen!

Enjoy. You have a great eye AND ultmost respect for your house.

o

Your intro was modest, but you could really brag with this kitchen if you wanted to!
You had me with the open shelves and ceiling, but then I noticed the pretty stove and all the decor choices. I even really like your floor mat! Bravo!

o

Stunning. Everything works together and you have so nicely added your own touches.

o

Oh, it's wonderful! Such a lovely kitchen and very inviting and cozy...and beautiful :)

o

oh it's beautiful! So warm and inviting and SO Cozy yet so big!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

o

It's just perfect. Beautiful. Ya know what I love the best? The knobs, of all things. We see so many fussy knobs here on the KF (that I don't like), yours are just plain, and perfectly placed, the color is the best with your cabinets. Like the dot on the bottom of an exclamation point. They just belong there.

o

You have done a great job! It is very inviting and your touches are just right.

o

So beautiful! I love the beadboard, cupboards, open shelves, light fixture, floor, . . . everything! You obviously paid close attnetion to the details, and it really shows. Enjoy!

o

Be still my old house heart!! You did a beautiful job, very period appropriate. It's absolutely perfect and so inviting. Enjoy!

o

Simply perfect, so charming and warm and beautifully done. Who would not feel at home here?

o

It's lovely!

o

Your kitchen had me at the first picture! Yep, it was love at first sight! I love everything about it, I wouldn't change a thing. Well worth every bead of sweat and drop of blood - and no doubt more than a few tears of frustration - that you've shed in this incredible DIY transformation.

I wonder if I can get that lamp fixture here in the US....

o

Absolutely beautiful. Stunning, really. The details (construction and storage), the materials, the colors, the accessories. It all really works.

o

Very beautiful, I can almost smell coffee cake and fresh brewed tea! And I'm amazed it was all done with your budget (seems to me so many things cost us much more on this side of the 49 than our neighbours to the south). I hope you're loving every minute in your soothing, elegant and homey space.

Well done!

o

Several others have already said it, but I'll say it again. That's because the best word to use in describing your kitchen is "perfect!" Be proud, take a bow, and enjoy!

o

Oh, my word! Beautiful! I'm in the midst of planning our new build. I'm so back & forth on whether to go with light or darker cabs. OK, this is swaying me to go light. LOVE the color on the floor & table.

Your space has so much charm & function - you must be so very happy with it. What's it like working on that big table? The yellow would make me very happy in that space.

Congratulations on a job so very well done!

o

Stunning kitchen, so warm and inviting! A shining example of what can be achieved using Ikea!

o
RE: Ditto to more pics.

Oh, and ditto to more pics of your place, inside and out, if you would care to share them!

o

Absolutely beautiful kitchen, perhaps you and DH can start your own kitchen design company since your ideas and the completed project do not reflect your indicated budget! CONGRATULATIONS!

o

Very very charming... it must have been one of those meant to be things. How special for you that the home you always dreamed of came to you. It's GREAT... congrats!

o

It's beautiful! You did a great job, especially with your ceiling, and I like the open shelving and the furniture feet on the bottoms of the cabs.

o

I love that you created a kitchen appropriate to your house with Ikea cabinets! We'd love to see a picture of the outside of the house that you fell in love with!

o

You created a beautiful, charming, period kit. Enjoy!!!

o

I am blown away by this kitchen. It is absolutely perfect, down to every single detail. Absolutely exquisite. I can't believe you did it for that amount of money. But beyond that, you've just gotten every detail to be perfect.

(Would kind of love to see some pictures of it "in real life" - i.e. messy, mid-food-prep, with day-to-day stuff laying around. ;-))

o

Wow, I am so grateful for your kind comments. This has been a long process. More then once we have asked ourselves, What were we thinking? Months of working on things that no one sees and forever being asked, Are you done yet? When we started out 3 years ago my husband said that this would be a ten year project. I laughed and said no way, maybe 5. Guess what? This is a ten year project; but you have made it just a bit easier helping confirm that we are on the right track. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

ptamom, Thanks, the containers are from the Emma Bridgewater collection. I bought them in London this summer but I think you can source them in the States. They are tin and are a 3 piece set.

mtnredux, I am in awe of your good taste and your home may just be the most beautiful I've ever seen. I can't wait to see your reveal.
trailrunner, Thank you from one old house owner to another. I have been making your tomato and basil pasta since you posted it. I loved that thread! (I hope you find your books)

sis2two, The wall colour is BM Windham Cream. It's a beautiful mellow background colour. Perfect for a back drop.

kaismom, Thank You, Thank You, I guess we done good.

dianalo, I think about you often and hope that things are getting resolved for you. Your house sounds so one of a kind, I can't wait to see it.

shannonplus2, Funny about the knobs. I tried other knobs but they just didn't seem to be work. I think they look like black buttons on a crisp white shirt. Thanks for noticing.

lisa_a, You must be a DIYer. How else would you know.

rhome410, Your comments mean alot knowing what you put into a kitchen design. You did a wonderful job on your inlaws kitchen. Congrats for selling it so quickly. I don't know how you find the time to do all you do.

mmhmmgood, Hello fellow Canadian. I know what you mean. So frustrating. Everytime I went to source something it could only be found in the States, and for a fraction of the price.

Thanks again everyone, You've made my day. Heck you've made my year!

o

simply beautiful. Makes me think of a fairytale kitchen that went to sleep all lovely and woke up now - perfectly in place and ready for wear.

every bit of it complements the other parts - works VERY well together as a whole.

I can't even decide what part is my favorite - it's all my favorite. :-)

enjoy your kitchen proudly.

o

Now that's a nice kitchen!
The ceiling, the lighting, the floor, the work bench table, the black & white theme.
You've done a fantastic job!
Certainly you'll enjoy your new space.
Congratulations!

o

Love it - it looks wonderful - now that's a kitchen!

o

Really lovely. A kitchen you want to be in and cook in.

o

You did an amazing job. Sensitive, respectful, elegant -- you made wonderful choices. It is simple, classic, but warm and inviting -- totally in keeping with the spirit of your old house.Congratulations!

o

That is one goregeous kitchen! It is warm and welcoming, yet means business. You could do some serious cooking in there. That it is DIY leaves me in awe, and I've been DIYing since childhood!

I love everything about it, especially the floors and the beadboard ceiling! Oh, and the knobs, they are dead on balls! I agree with mtnrdredux, this kitchen makes a lovely backdrop for those veggies in bowls on the island.

Enjoy every minute in the kitchen.

o

Forgot to say before that your staging and photography skills are right up there with your DIY abilities. I don't think the ikea catalog has as a good a shot of the blind base pullout, for instance.

o

Beautiful kitchen! It's so warm & inviting! People who think that white kitchens are cold need to be directed to pics of your kitchen. Love the ceiling and the flapjack/snickerdoodle tin set! I'll need to google Emma Bridgewater now. These pics are going right in my inspiration file for the new cottage kitchen. Incredible job!

o

This is my favorite Ikea kitchen ever! I still don't get why they discontinued Tidaholm, it's one of their best styles,imo. You did a beautiful job!

o

oldhouse: I am glad you are enjoying the pasta. DH made his pasta again this weekend and instead of cutting it smaller we made lasagna size flat pieces. Wow...it is like thin crepes with the small amount of filling in between many many layers...it is so light and different from " real" lasagna noodles. You must give it a try. If you want his current recipe for pasta let me know...it is so perfect. ( No books yet ...) Thank you so for caring ...c

o

It's beautiful - so simple and lovely. I especially love the ceiling.

o

Love it!!! Love the open shelves, the pine floor, the back splash, your ironstone, everything. You did a great job.

Did you start with new pine boards? Face nailed? Lovely.

o

So beautiful! I love all the details!

o

Thanks for the inspiration!

o

I love the story that you were able to purchase that house you said you always would-how wonderful! I'm wowed by your kitchen layout/design, & your decorating/staging/photography. Have you blogged about your journey-you should! Your kitchen is right up there-or surpasses- those I've seen of brand new kitchens in similar era homes in Country Home/Country Living magazines over the years. I love the details especially the use of the free-standing unfitted furniture pieces, ceiling treatment, double hung divided windows, and open shelving that help reference/reinforce the older age of your home. And I cannot believe you achieved this for under $20K. Bravo!!!

o

Wow, so amazing, I had to come back for another look. Your kitchen is just another proof, if anyone needed it that design trumps dollars -- if there were a prize for best bang for the buck you would certainly be a lead contender-- yours is surely one of the loveliest kitchens at any price! Great story about attaining the house of your dreams-- you obviously care a great deal about houses and design and you certainly have an eye for it -- all your attention and hard work has paid off phenomenally well.

I could relate to your year cooking in the bathroom because I spent last year cooking in the basement. And like you I wondered how and when (and even "if" sometimes) it would end. Well time for some champagne -- Bravo!

Noticed that you have a Simplex kettle and a Breville Convection oven -- me too -- don't you love them?

o

Great story! And what a beautiful kitchen! I'm not always a fan of all white kitchens, but your staging and accents are just stunning! Congratulations.

o

wow! so much charm and warmth!! congrats!

o

It looks great! Love the ceiling and the open shelves--Enjoy!!

o

Yikes. One look at your kitchen and Ikea is going to feel compelled to bring back Tidaholm.

Your work is incredibly well thought out -- a year well spent -- and visually smashing in an unpretentious way. Terrific.

o

Holy Cow, I feel like this is the Academy Awards and I forgot to thank the three people who made this possible.

My husband (if he reads this he won't have any idea what a DH is) for without him this wouldn't have been possible. He's the hardest working human being I know.

My DD, photo credit should go to her as she has a techno challenged mom, and my DS who is the computer wizard and figured out how to post pictures.

I sent this link to my Mom (if I had sent it to anyone else it would have been boasting but mothers are different) because I make reference to the kitchen forum all the time. She said, " Everyones so nice" and my Dad said, " It's remarkable that they all take the time to write specific comments".

How right they are! I am so completely overwhelmed by everyones generosity. I can't tell you what this means to my DH and I. It's given us renewed energy to continue this overwhelming project. Thank You!!

prill, Yes, the boards were purchased from a local mill and individually hand finished. They are tongue and groove and we used new/old nails from Lee Valley where the boards meet.

littlesmokie, Wow, I am really so flattered. I hardly know what to say. Hopefully a sincere Thanks will do.

sayde, I just saw your beautiful home on the Hit or Miss post. It is stunning. I would like to come to your house for dinner and you wouldn't even have to make me dinner. I think we would have a very good understanding of how lucky we are to have such amazing husbands.

o

What I love about GW is that I can completely fall in love with a kitchen that is quite different from my own. I've fallen in love with yours. Everything looks like it was made just for your house. I would feel right at home in your kitchen and it appears your function matches the form. Bravo!

o

oldhouse1, it would indeed be a great pleasure to be able to sit down with you. In addition to toaster ovens and teakettles, we have old houses in common, and talented, wonderful husbands whose fingerprints are all over our houses like valentines. Yes indeed we are lucky. When I read about your restoration I felt I knew just what you were talking about. Thanks for your kind words about our house. Gardenweb is filled with wonderful folks, and every once in a while you come across someone whom you know has cared about and experienced many of the same things that you have. Unmet friends, to quote Carolyn Heilbrun. I have several here, and now you're one.

o

Oh wow, thank you for sharing. I absolutely love your space! The ceiling is amazing as is the beadboard backsplash, and the open shelves. Everything just all goes together in such a warm and soothing way, like it has always been there. That is a kitchen to be loved forever.

o

oldhouse1, it would indeed be a great pleasure to be able to sit down with you. In addition to toaster ovens and teakettles, we have old houses in common, and talented, wonderful husbands whose fingerprints are all over our houses like valentines. Yes indeed we are lucky. When I read about your restoration I felt I knew just what you were talking about. Thanks for your kind words about our house. Gardenweb is filled with wonderful folks, and every once in a while you come across someone whom you know has cared about and experienced many of the same things that you have. Unmet friends, to quote Carolyn Heilbrun. I have several here, and now you're one.

o

Absolutely stunning!!!

o

Hi oldhouse1,

Just wanted to chime in~Congrats!

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning. Warm, cozy, and stylish. I truly love it. LOVE the light fixture. Enjoy it & every time you get stressed, imagine someone else bought the house the day before you saw it.
Always works for me!

Would love a few tips from your talented DD on how to take a great kitchen photo....

Cheers,
Katie

o

Your kitchen is lovely. I love the serenity of it and admire your restrained hand in putting it together. I don't think I have ever seen a white kitchen that feels as comfortable and liveable as yours. Congratulations.

o

Wowee! That looks like the beautiful culmination of a life well-lived. (Those tomatoes look delectable).

o

I so echo the lovely comments from everyone else. And the way you described it - you were so modest about this stunning space you and your DH have created, and yet we could all see how justifiably proud your are of all your hard work and research. It goes to show you don't have to spend an exorbitant amount of money or use a lot of bling to have a tastefull, warm, well thought out perfectly charming kitchen. Kudos to you and your family. May you have many years to enjoy this dream kitchen.

o

I came back to look again, and am afraid I did a lousy job previously in expressing what I thought about your accomplishment. (I am NOT adding to what I said only because you said nice things to me. But thanks...You must've read the blog post about my in-laws' house...So thanks for that, too!)

I truly want to clarify that when I said, "It all really works," that is a big thing to me. When I look at kitchens, I think the ones that are really successful are the ones that are a complete package...You don't necessarily pick out one thing over another because it's all a working unit... a beautiful whole. My biggest fear in designing my own kitchen is that I wasn't sure how to ensure that. I really admire it when others have the ability.

I have to say that your kitchen isn't necessarily my style. I'm not a huge fan of Colonial details, like Windsor chairs or turned legs. BUT, if I was househunting and walked into this kitchen, as sappy as it sounds, I think I'd tear up with joy. I'd be happy to live in this room, as is, and not risk disturbing the masterpiece that you've created.

There are many kitchens shown on the forum over the years I could love to live in...but because they're already a style I like. But there are only 2, or at least fewer than a handful, that I can say I've seen that aren't my style, but I could enjoy living in anyway --because their style is done so well.

Previously, I was too brief, now I'm afraid I've gone so far so it sounds like syrupy flattery. But I mean every word. You and your dh did a GREAT job.

o

"...we did want one that suited an older home..."

You more than accomplished your goal! It seems like a perfect fit!

You and your DH did a wonderful job, you can truly bask in the glow of a job well done!

o

Love.Love.Love it! Very timeless and keeping with your home. You have done a great job making it all work for an aged appeal but modern amenities. I am drawn to the snickerdoodle and flapjack tins. Also, the stainless countertop pot rest next to your stove. Are you willing to share sources? Enjoy your space!

o

OMG, it's beautiful!!!

o

I love absolutely everything about that kitchen. It's a place I want to be! Excellent job. Not overstated,...just perfect. Love the thin granite, and the floor, the lighting, and the ceiling,..all of it. Even those cute little knobs and that biscuit container! Are those knobs wood?

o

You are definitely on the right track. I can't really ad to what's been said, but I'll echo a previous sentiment. After you take the time to do your kitchen your way, it's pretty hard to look at most kitchens, even beautiful, well done kitchens and think you could leave your kitchen and go there. Yours is one that invites me and makes me want to see the whole house. Keep up the good work.

o

What a beautiful space! love the ceiling, your baskets above the fridge, your open shelving, the amazing detail you managed to get in there for such a great price.... Congrats on a beautiful, well thought out project!

o

It's funny how sometimes people who are close to you can find it difficult to pay a compliment and yet people you don't even know can be so giving and generous. I am completely overwhelmed by all of your kind words and the fact that you took the time to write them. Thank You.

katieob, Thank You. You had one of my all time favorite kitchens. I hope the plans for your new home are going well and look forward to seeing your new kitchen. Keep us posted along the way. I just saw your previous dining room on another thread and the fact that it was so understated made it all the more beautiful.

happycook2, A heartfelt Thank You.

rhome410, I will be sending you an e-mail. (hope that's OK)

mom2tykel, I started a new post with the information on my tins. I got the stainless rack from where else? IKEA

CCinTX, Is it any cooler in Texas? The knobs are cast Iron. We were going to get them from Lee Valley for $ 6.99 but I happened to be wasting time in Home Depot (we spend way to much time there) and I happened upon some knobs from Amerock that were just as nice but felt even better. Done Deal. Amerock BP53012-FB

lascatx, I have to keep going back to my kitchen to see if I deserve all this praise. I am however very grateful. Thanks.

o

Chiming in late from the other side of Canada -- absolutely lovely. And everything arranged so beautifully that it looks warm and enticing. Congratulations, and many years of happy cooking in your new-old kitchen!

And I love the idea of a jam cupboard : ).

Becky

o

rhome410, I will be sending you an e-mail. (hope that's OK)

Of course. I'll keep an eye out for it.

o

That's an amazing kitchen for $17,000! Nice job.

o

Simply beautiful!! I can't stop looking at it. Congratulations!!

o

OMG that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously I am in love! Reminds me of something you could see in a beautiful home in Colonial Williamsburg, VA. I want more pictures! I still can't believe those are Ikea cabinets, they looks like custom build. I would love to see more pictures of the inside of the cabinets. Love the like fixture over the island. Everything is really period perfect! It looks like a kitchen you would see in a magazine. I am truly this impressed! Congrats and Enjoy! Great job with your budget as well.

o

Utterly charming. Are you sure you're not running a B&B or something?

o

GORGEOUS!! Looks straight fro a magazine. Adore the beadboard, the island, the pull out shelves...what a beautiful "heart of the home!"

o

Hope this all refreshes and energizes you to keep moving on the other rooms. People would say you got a great result for 5 times the cost, and I know that would help keep me going.

And no -- it is not cooler in TX. We had a few days of cooler and were back to 102 yesterday here. Expect the same today. A high school in the adjoining district just closed for the day due to an electrical fire -- have to wonder if AC demand over the last month played a role. It's actually the high school I graduated from and some parts of the school are older and others have been added on over the years. We played a football game there just a few days ago.

It's hot here, but your kitchen is still cool. ;-)

o

I really admire your kitchen and am especially taken with your ceiling!

May I ask if the beadboard is sheets or strips? And are the beams functional or decorative?

Also you mentioned customization of the IKEA cabs, can you detail what and how? I am planning to use their carcases (but with different doors) so I'm eager to hear about other projects.

The black accents (knobs, chair, etc.) are extremely well-chosen and attractive!

L.

o

I love your kitchen too! I already liked it at the first picture even before strolling down, when all I could see was the ceiling, the artwork on the wall and the color of the walls!
Congratulations! Go Ikea!

o

Kudos to you and your DH. You deserve some kind of prize for what you accomplished with your budget. Again, just beautiful!

o

PERFECTION.

I *LOVE* your kitchen! I love those open shelves, the bead board--OK everything!

From one IKEA DIYer to another--holy cow, you have raised the IKEA bar to an almost unattainable height! Thanks a lot. ;^)

o

This is one beautiful kitchen! Can't find one thing wrong with it!

Be proud and enjoy, it looks so homey, comfy, yet elegant and functional.

Koodos to you and DH for doing so much on a budget! Those are always the BEST to me! I think it is perfect.

o

I love this kitchen!!! Can I ask you what the size of it is??? You have done a awesome job!

o

ejbrymom, Wow, Williamsburg, I'm just a little flattered. You probably couldn't have payed me a nicer compliment. Thank You!

scootermom, No, no B & B and I'd like to show you more but the rest of the house is about to become a construction zone. New bathroom, front hall, laundry room, carriage style garage with 2 rooms above all waiting to be finished. Oh and move the staircase. I think we bit off more then we can chew. At least I have my kitchen. Thanks

liriodendron, We used 3/4" V-Groove pine, 6" wide. The beams are decorative but placed to cover the joints in the ceiling boards. As far as customization, nothing in particular, just changes we made along the way. Such as, rather then putting filler pieces in between cupboards which you often have to do when they're not custom we were left with a 4 1/2" gap in total and built a 2 level tray storage as well as toekicks. Things you just decide as you go along. Would love to hear your plans.

shelayne, Thanks LOL, Did I miss your kitchen? Would love to see it.

dnilsen, Our kitchen is 16x14 with a separate eating area. I love the size small enough to be cozy and big enough to be functional.

o

This is fantastic. Love the floors, the open shelving, and all the DIY customizing. Kudos on your resourceness.

o

This is one of the most beautiful kitchens I've ever seen, and I think I've looked at every white kitchen on the web.

I love the style, love the color, and love that you were able to produce this work of art on your own! Enjoy!

o

I've looked at this multiple times not, and keep getting so wrapped up in the pictures that I run out of time before I post. This time I skipped past the pictures to be sure that I got a chance to tell you how absolutely, breathtakingly stunning your kitchen is. The details are just captivating. Love, love, love the ceiling in all of its glorious detail.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

o

rhome410, I don't know whether or not you'll see this. I promised you an e-mail. I did send one but after the fact realized that I hadn't changed my e-mail address, so I'm quite sure you didn't get it. I've changed it on my profile but when I go to send you another e-mail it's still showing my old address (although my profile is showing the correct one). I sent a message to the tech dept to find out what the problem is or what I might be doing wrong and haven't heard back. Didn't want you to think that I forgot about you.

o

Your gorgeous kitchen reminds me of Grandma & making happy memories. Yet it's so sharp and modern, I'm in awe.

My girl Vivian (our fixer) has no kitchen at the moment but you've given me hope that all that work will be worth it. Thanks!

Warmly Dina

o

Wow - this is absolutely beautiful! Everything fits, and I love how you made it your own to fit the period of the house. Congratulations!

o

That is just beautiful. It looks like it's always been there and in tip-top perfect shape. LOL

Your kitchen has got to be in my top five favorite kitchens.

o

I agree with Bird ... definitely one of my favorites! Love all the natural light ... and your island is perfect! Well done!

o

oldhouse...I sent rhome an email for you...I have her home email. So she will get back to you I am sure. c

o

Oldhouse1,
I did get 2 emails from you and answered the 2nd, figuring it was going to the right address, but I guess it didn't. I will check and resend.

Thanks, Trailrunner, for the heads up!!

o

Thanks trailrunner, that was so kind of you.:)

o

no prob...glad to do it you are both so sweet :) c

o

I re-sent... did it work this time?

o

Oldhouse1, your kitchen is beautiful! Perfect balance of staying true to the character of the house, but adding modern features. Just lovely!

o

What a pleasure to come on this kitchen. I too have an older home and wanted a kitchen tthat would fit it.

Yours is wonderful. Let me list a few of the things I love here.
The ceiling, of course, is perfect. Interesting and elegant, yet unobtrusive.
The simple lines of the cabinets and knobs
Open shelves kept simple, usable, and uncluttered
That wonderful work table in the center
The warmth of the beautiful floor--worth every minute you spent on it.
The contrast of dark woods and metal (the table, chest between the windows, windsor chair, lamp, and pulls) with the painted cabs, all fire light warmed with warm floor, glowing reds.

You must want to dance as you move around in this space.
Thank you for sharing it.

o

So gorgeous! I love it! I love what you did with the IKEA cabinets. That is exactly the style and color I wanted but it is not longer available. Congrats!

o

Dear Oldhouse... I just came upon your wonderful kitchen here...as another old home owner (c. 1680) I appreciate all how you were able to capture the essence of the old and incorporate the new.. I am immediately drawn to the warmth of your kitchen. It would be easy to spend most of the day there! Some of the details I admire most are the windows, the open shelves and the way the hood is tucked out of sight. Not to mention how the island and jam cupboard give the kitchen a personality all of its own and how all your other furniture and accessories that make it a home. Love it!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with the rest of the house...ours has been a 35 year love affair...10 years will go by quickly!

o

I want to thank you for designing my future kitchen for me.

This saves lots of time!

Ha.

Anyway, really great kitchen - I will be lifting some bits from it.

o

The strict symmetry is so pleasing, it really settles my morning with a smile - thank you.

And this from one so chaotic as to never be able to achieve such serene symmetry - maybe that's all the more reason I enjoy it when I see it. You must be a very calm person...

o

What a beautiful kitchen renovation. Love all your choices, even the base corner cabinet, which looks really functional. Was the insert provided as part of the cabinet, or was that ordered separately? How wide is it? 45 or 48 inches?

o

You can tell, just by looking that a lot of hard work went into this kitchen.. It is amazing!! Every little detail is perfect. Good job!!
I hope you don't mind my asking, but where did you find your island/worktable? I have been looking for something to go in my kitchen and that is it!!
Thanks,
Sandy

o
Silly me!!

Haha!! Just went back and re-read your original post!! I don't guess they'd want to make another one and ship it to NC!!LOL! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking....:)

Sandy

o

Oh wow! I missed this back in September. I love your choices and love how finished it is. The pitchers on top of the chest, artwork and all the little details are just beautiful. You must be enjoying your new kitchen so much!! Congratulations!

o

Adorable + charming. Enjoy!

o

i don't think i've seen your kitchen before. what a lovely job! congratulations!

o

Just amazing how beautiful your kitchen is and the cabinets are gorgeous! I wish they would have not discontinued this Ikea cabinet since that is what I would have done also and professionally sprayed them BM Cloud White. Thanks for sharing. All the organization items in the kitchen is amazing also and it is what I want in my kitchen.

o

Wonderful! Glad this got bumped since I missed it the first time around. Can I ask how much it cost to get the parts professionally painted? Do you know what the finishing process was? Also, how was the vent hood enclosure made? Can you share how you did the cabinet "legs"? So many wonderful details! Thank you!

o

Haven't had a chance to spend much time here during the holidays so what a pleasant surprise to see some additional comments.

nc sandyfeet, I believe Camlen has retailers selling on the east coast now. To be honest if you know of a carpenter it would be fairly easy to build. If you would like the dimensions or closeups I would be more then happy to send them to you. Thank you for your kind words.

http://www.camlenfurniture.com/ContactEN.php

mamadadapaige, sabjimata and kateskouros, Thank you!

lynn2006, Thanks, I'm not sure why they discontinued this door style. It was so popular and used by many designers in Canada including Sarah Richardson. I'm actually very impressed with the quality as is everyone else who questioned my using them.

scrappy25, The doors and drawers were just under $1000. They were sanded, cleaned with tsp and sprayed with 3 coats of BM Advance. I painted all the additional pieces. Had I known how wonderful Advance is to paint with I probably would have tackled them myself. The finish is as hard as nails and a breeze to clean.

My husband built a box to fit the vent hood and then built the decorative surround. As far as the toe kicks are concerned we didn't use the legs that Ikea provided for the cabinets. My husband built frames to sit the boxes on and then made a template for the toe kicks and these were nailed to the frame. It's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen.

Thanks again for your kind words. Happy New Year to you all.

o

I just found this post and have to say I agree with all of the comments. Simply stunning.

Might I ask where you got the open cupboards that the dishes are on? I like those.

Ellie

o

Fabulous in every way! Really! I'm quite jealous.

o

Thanks for your answers! Your husband must be a master carpenter. His work is impeccable . Your kitchen has become an inspiration kitchen fir me.I have been studying the details and have some questions, if you don't mind.

1. Did you set your baseboards and crown base so that the fronts are in plane with the cabinet doors?
2. Also, I see that there are gables or end panels on either side of the stove. Do they reach the floor to support the counter and how did you incorporate that into the design?
3. Similarly, do you have a support between the paneled dishwasher and the domsjo sink?
4. Do you have panels between the wall cabinets and the hood?
5. How did you build that thick fridge surround?
6.is that quarter round on the granite bordering the beadboard?
7. For your hutch to the right of the sink, is that a 39 in cabinet with a 15in stacked on top? How high are your ceilings?

Yikes, sorry for so many questions. Your work is truly amazing.

o

I am seriously in love with that chandelier! I couldn't find it on the Sescolite site; do you have any clues that would help? Name, manufacturer, anything?

Your kitchen is gorgeous...I have spent so much time looking at the pictures and admiring all the details.

o

Surprised I didn't see this before. Absolutely lovely! Really love the attention to detail. Great job.

o

This is one of my all-time favorite kitchens! It's gorgeous, stunning, perfect! I absolutely love it. I can't stop looking at your pictures. If you have more to share, please do! They are magazine-worthy.

o

I know this is months old, but I am in LOVE with the 6 arm black chandelier in this kitchen. The whole kitchen is breathtaking! I have been looking for a similar light but haven't had luck. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

o

OMG! I want this kitchen!!!

I have not seen it b/c I had been *away* from GW for months.

Fabulous!

o

Oh, I love what you did! It's so charming and beautiful!

o

Oldhouse- beautiful and perfect for your house!
I am jealous of your corner cabinet arrangement - but we were shy by 2 inches to use the system.
Is the undersink an aftermarket?

o

Thank you, feliceinct, for bringing this thread back to the top. Loved it when I saw it the first time, and even more now. Quite poosbly my favorite GW kitchen of all time.

o

I didn't see it the first time; I'm REALLY glad it got bumped so I get another chance, because I think it's a work of art.

o

I missed this too, and I adore your kitchen. The ceiling is exactly what I plan on doing and I'm so happy to see what it will look like. You and your husband did a wonderful job and I love that it fits the style of your house so perfectly.

o

Oh my gosh. I've not seen these photographs until tonight. Your kitchen is beautiful and it looks practical, too. Great job!

o

Just sooooo beautiful!
Loving that ceiling. Picture #3--you've gotta be standing there looking in and just smiling. Great job!

o

So beautiful. Picturesque looking out the windows. Very warm and love the free standing furniture. Can't stop drooling over your beautiful kitchen!

o

Love your kitchen!

Will you please share the size/type of back splash tile you used, thanks!

o

New member to GW Forums and wish to compliment you on your lovely thank-you post and of course your beautiful, functional kitchen. I hope to be as generous with thanks here someday too. Bravo!

o

I am in awe of your talent. Both in design and execution. Beautiful!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here