Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daphnerose

Early Stage Kitchen Plan--Please Help.

I'm a long-time GW lurker, learning every time I read, and would like your expertise as we plan our kitchen renovation. I've posted my current floor plan below and will post one of my possible plans next.

Our current layout has a couple of flaws--it originally was built for a single cook, and there is a large refrigerator in a cabinet next to a tall window overlooking my garden and it blocks the view. Besides ruining the view and sight lines, the frig is a choke point into the workspace.

What we like: The sink under the window, the island, two ovens, roll out pantry. We like having a dedicated space for a breakfast table. My husband makes wonderful apple pies and loves having the island to roll his piecrust.

What we don't like: The location of the frig, the obstructed view, not enough prep space next to the sink, the OTR micro looming into the cooking space, no good place for the trash, the catchall desk space, broom closet too small.

Context: It's a formal house (Tidewater Colonial Revival) in a historic district & we're a little formal. We eat in our dining room several nights a week and like to have sit-down dinner guests. The main thoroughfare into the kitchen is from the back hall through the pocket door. Groceries come in from the garage just beyond the back stairwell. The room is just shy of 15' x 21' and we can't change the windows or doors. Plumbing and electrical can be moved. We have a big frig in the basement.

Personal: We're almost empty nesters, with one who just started college, one new college grad working and living at home, and a recent grad who lives and works nearby. We like to cook together and we like to have people over for dinner.

All opinions are welcome. Forgive any newbie mistakes--this is a new literacy skill for me. Thank you!

Comments (2)