Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early Stage Kitchen Plan--Please Help.

Posted by larecoltante (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:50

I'm a long-time GW lurker, learning every time I read, and would like your expertise as we plan our kitchen renovation. I've posted my current floor plan below and will post one of my possible plans next.

Our current layout has a couple of flaws--it originally was built for a single cook, and there is a large refrigerator in a cabinet next to a tall window overlooking my garden and it blocks the view. Besides ruining the view and sight lines, the frig is a choke point into the workspace.

What we like: The sink under the window, the island, two ovens, roll out pantry. We like having a dedicated space for a breakfast table. My husband makes wonderful apple pies and loves having the island to roll his piecrust.

What we don't like: The location of the frig, the obstructed view, not enough prep space next to the sink, the OTR micro looming into the cooking space, no good place for the trash, the catchall desk space, broom closet too small.

Context: It's a formal house (Tidewater Colonial Revival) in a historic district & we're a little formal. We eat in our dining room several nights a week and like to have sit-down dinner guests. The main thoroughfare into the kitchen is from the back hall through the pocket door. Groceries come in from the garage just beyond the back stairwell. The room is just shy of 15' x 21' and we can't change the windows or doors. Plumbing and electrical can be moved. We have a big frig in the basement.

Personal: We're almost empty nesters, with one who just started college, one new college grad working and living at home, and a recent grad who lives and works nearby. We like to cook together and we like to have people over for dinner.

All opinions are welcome. Forgive any newbie mistakes--this is a new literacy skill for me. Thank you!

Current Kitchen photo CurrentKitchen_zps2017fa18.jpeg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early Stage Kitchen Plan--Please Help.

OP here.

What we're considering: A built-in frig across the room, splitting the ovens, and ditching the desk & broom closet. I had been fighting the idea of putting a built-in frig on the current oven wall because it would be in a traffic path. Then I saw what a difference a slim frig made in KevinMP's kitchen and am rethinking. This plan could give us wet prep to the right of the sink and dry prep and baking on the island. I'm not sure where to put a large wall oven.

One thing that has us perplexed is where to put the coffee station if we split the frig and sink. I thought of putting refrigerator drawers next to the DW for cream, fruit, and yoghurt, but don't know if that's silly given the size of the room.

I haven't given much thought to upper cabinets yet.

I appreciate your ideas, advice, warnings...

Possible Layout #2 photo PossibleKitchen2_zps0ac01d30.jpeg

o
RE: Early Stage Kitchen Plan--Please Help.

Sink...Is the sink required to be under the window b/c there is only one sink in the kitchen and, therefore, all prepping is done at that sink?

If you had a prep sink elsewhere, e.g., in the island, could the cleanup sink be moved away from the window? Since the majority of people spend 70% - 75% of their time prepping and only 20% of their time cleaning up (less if you use the DW for everything), it makes sense to have the Prep Zone in the most desirable location. It also makes the most sense to protect the Prep Zone (and Cooking Zone) from traffic...plus they are where you use the most "dangerous" equipment - range/cooktop, knives, scalding water/food, etc.

If you like two ovens, which would you prefer?

(1) Double ovens in an oven stack and an MW elsewhere (under the counter (e.g., a MW Drawer) or on the counter or hanging from an upper cabinet)

(2) Range and single oven + MW in an oven stack

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here