Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

Show Me Your Soapstone !

MIssyV
12 years ago

I have flipped through the finished kitchen blogs several times, but I have a feeling several of you have soapstone in your kitchens, but don't have them posted in the fkb :)

I am narrowing down my ss selections, and find them all to be quite beautiful really, so hoping to see yours to aid me in this final decision. I am thinking about Beleza, Minas or Antolini.

Can't wait to see your beauties!

Comments (22)

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

Here's our Julia. There are some pics finished and some when we were still in the DIY phase.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Julia

• puppeez
    12 years ago

I don't have any of those, but I believe caoh from here aka Chinese Grandma blog has the minas. An absolutely gorgeous kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Grandma kitchen

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

From Drop Box

Mines wild and crazy! It's called Monsoon Wave

• prill
    12 years ago

Mine is wild and crazy too - Medium Minas from Dorado Soapstone.

• fivefootzero
    12 years ago

We have Belvedere. Originally we had Santa Rita Venata but it had defects from the quarry, and my DH felt it was too soft. We were able to have it replaced and replaced it with Belvedere...its a much harder stone. The pics here are unoiled...we like it naked!

• honeychurch
    12 years ago

I think mine is black venata--it's softer but beautifully veined with green that looks like seaglass:

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for sharing! i know you spent a pretty penny to have it in your kitchen, glad you had the opportunity to show it off! anyone else?

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

my pics aren't super, and we're still in progress here...but I also have minas from Dorado.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They all look beautiful! Thank you for sharing yours with me. @jasly6...we are looking at Minas from Dorado, are you happy with yours...the overall wear of it, the color? Looks beautiful !!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

MissyV- I did a ton of hemming and hawing. I vascilated between the minas and the honed jet mist granite to the point of ridiculousness. In the end I truly think I would have loved the granite as well, but the SS just has a really nice feel to it, and overall I am really happy. It's definitely soft, dings etc. But with a sharpie and the oil I really can't notice them. We do keep it oiled, about once every 6 weeks. The biggest plus is the fact that I can put hot pots and pans right on it!
    Happy choosing!

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

Cobra from M. Tex. Excuse the shine (just after an oiling) and the fuzzy pic (cell phone).

• lithigin
    12 years ago

Mine is PA Original Green. I absolutely love the looks but I am kinda crushed at how insanely soft it is. I had a PA Original (black) and a PA Original Green sample and I cut on them with bread knives (minor scratches), knocked them about, etc. and was totally prepared for an eventual web of surface scratches. I thought. This slab literally scratches if there is a grain of sugar underneath a plate or something. I get cut marks THROUGH cutting boards and have bread knife marks everywhere. Through cutting boards. And now the edges keep chipping more with a fingernail. Huge chips by the edge of the sink. I have to warn everyone that walks in the kitchen so they don't slide stuff around and every time a guest leaves I see another long scuff-y scratch from careless (regular) use. We've had it maybe 2 months and I'm really trying hard to love the patina, but I just thought it would at least look new a little longer and that I wouldn't feel that I had to baby it so much. I have original pics but not current ones.

Longest run

Here is a link that might be useful: Biggest vein

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Our Beleza will be here next week. Have you got samples of the various soapstones to play with? We found the Beleza to be very difficult to scratch or dent. The Minas, while beautiful, was much easier to mark. I abused the samples thoroughly, even hitting them with a hammer.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, I have samples of the Beleza and Antolini. Like you, I have tried to bang them up but it is hard to "use" them since they are smaller squares.

• caoh
    12 years ago

thanks, puppeez for the shout out - i love it when soapstone/white kitchen/farmhouse kitchen conversations crop up and i get new visitors from here. love the gw community. =)

i have minas from dorado, and it's pretty hard - no scratch issues whatsoever. in fact, i dropped a knife the other day, and the countertop bent the tip of the knife - no nick on soapstone at all. i love everything about it - look, feel and function.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese grandma kitchen

• katieob
    12 years ago

Hi.

I had Original PA in my last kitchen. I loved it. No scratches, no issues, no babying. I used the Dorado Dry Wax when company was coming....

I'm going back to the same place to hopefully pick out identical slabs as last time for the new kitchen.

Good luck,
    Katie

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Stone Studio gave us sink cutouts as samples (as well as smaller pieces that are easier to take to tile stores). We set hot pans right off the stove onto them. DH sottered on them. I deliberately dropped heavy things on them. Tried to scratch them with sharp screwdriver. Cut on them. Left lemon juice, tomato juice, wine, molasses, etc on them overnight.

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm prospect711, I think those bigger sink cut out pieces might be the way to go. I wasn't planning a trip to The Stone Studio, but I may have to go! Marlene mailed me those smaller samples, which are nice to see the coloring, but its hard to use them for daily things in the kitchen when they are that size. I look forward to seeing your Beleza installed!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

Ours is like honeychurch's, softer and with a bunch of green in the veining.

This is from a couple of days after we had it installed in March:

{{!gwi}}

And a close-up:

{{!gwi}}

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Ours is Jucca, from Dorado Soapstone.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• safemommy
    7 years ago

@katieob you refer to yours as PA Original...did you get it from Dorado? They call theirs straight PA. Yours is beautiful!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz