Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding toilet or washer/dryer in condo unit of bldg.

Posted by jally (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 20:45

Hi, all. I should emphasize that this is not a legal question, but rather asking how easily practical it is to do the below renovations.

I did already post this Q elsewhere, and gather that #1 (toilet) is most problematic.

What I'd like to know is whether venting a dryer is next-most problematic?
...or rather if draining a washing machine is next-most problematic?

Degree of difficulty to:

(1) add a toilet if there's an adjacent kitchen
..........(or is having a nearby toilet much easier???

(2) add a wash-machine & gas dryer if there's an adjacent toilet
..........(or is having a nearby gas stove much easier)???

(3) add a wash-machine & gas dryer if there's an adjacent bathtub
..........(or is having a nearby toilet & gas-stove easier???

(4) add a wash-machine & gas dryer if there's a nearby kitchen and gas stove
..........(or is having a nearby toilet much easier???

P.S. I found the below URL very enlightening, but any further useful tips appreciated:

Here is a link that might be useful: adding laundry to condo unit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding toilet or washer/dryer in condo unit of bldg.

Many condos use condensing dryers that don't need a dryer vent. This makes the only issue the plumbing part of the washer dryer something to consider.

I believe that the size drain required for a washer would be a smaller diameter drain size than for a toilet. So that is one difference.

The washer can fill and drain from a hookup box that is the height of the standpipe. (about 3 feet off the ground with the piping in the wall cavity then going down to drain.)

A toilet drain may not fit in a standard wall cavity.

I am NO EXPERT, but this is what I think is correct.

o

Thanks for the feedback julie! Everything helps.

o

You have to know where your stack is. The toilet has to be within a certain amount of feet. Also locate the main drain the washer needs to be connected to; how difficult is it to get to? I think a plumber is the only one who can ascertain your setup there. He has to figure out how the system is set up to gauge the difficulty of adding and venting plumbing fixtures.

Be sure to have the permit drawn and work plans approved before anything is started. You don't want to find out it is not to Code during inspection. This happened to someone here and there was a lot of re-work.

o

Not to mention HOA approval. We gave up on the idea of moving the toilet because the toilet stack relocation would have been too difficult/expensive.

o

Not to mention HOA approval. We gave up on the idea of moving the toilet because the toilet stack relocation would have been too difficult/expensive.

o

I see - thanks!

o

Much of it depends on the building:

If you are in the middle of a highrise, any change will be difficult because it affects several floors.

A low-rise condo, not so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here