Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Thinking about refacing. Silly idea?

akl_vdb
10 years ago

We did a small kitchen reno, moved a couple cabinets around, new fridge and range/range hood, new counter and backsplash.

Now with our 20 year old maple cabinets, I'm wondering if I should look at refacing. I didn't want to get all new cabs, but now they look tired :( next to the new stuff.

Advice? Thank you.

Comments (15)

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic. Thanks for looking.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Honestly, they don't look tired to me, but I understand they might look different in person. Would you consider painting them?

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

If my kitchen looked as good as yours, I would be a happy camper.
    But, you might be surprised, just some paint, lighting, and extra lighting might do.
    We are having our kitchen refaced now. The electrician just put in can lights, a nice big pendant over the table, a new range hood,and a four light fixture for the middle of the room is still winging its way to my house! The kitchen already looks great (just don't tell DH). Countertops should be in next week silestone Bianca River (whitish background with grey throughout) Cabinets soon thereafter, cabs just white very plain slab doors and changed most of bottom cabs to drawers. So unless someone screws up something unforeseen,I am over elated, and its not going to take months to be finished.
    So do what makes you happy, and don't wait thirty years to do it !

Red

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, that's what usually happens when everything is new except the cabinets. Fortunately, your door style doesn't date it as much as a cathedral door style would. I think you can get away with having them refinished or professionally painted.

• Sarina
    10 years ago

I agree that in the pictures they look just fine. In person if finish is wearing off and so forth I would also consider hiring someone to paint them. Cabinet coat is a wonderful paint. I had heard about it years ago here and redid my bathroom cabinets in it in a creamy white was very happy with them.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Painting is definitely an option, and it will pretty much change how everything looks. Ask me how I know. :)

It isn't expensive to change the doors and drawer fronts if you're into a different look. Some people successfully DIY the painting, but it's not an easy process. I had mine professional done. It was pricey but they did a great job.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, and also for the compliments on the kitchen. The finish is fine. It's the yellowing of the maple that's got me.
    I think I'll get a quote, then maybe one for painting/staining. The kitchen contractors do that, but we didn't end on a great note, now I really don't want anything to do with them :(
    I did pick up Rustoleum cabinet transformations for the laundry room and possibly a bathroom if it looks fine, but I think the kitchen would be best to be left to the pros.
    All in all, it looks fine, just not what I envisioned, kwim? I don't know how, as we picked everything out.
    Thank you all!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

If you just did the other stuff I would wait for while before doing any more like the cabinets.

I think your kitchen looks great. I really like the wood tone of your cabinets.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

aklvdb, some friends of mine went the Rustoleum Transformations route with their kitchen cabs and I think it looks dreadful. It's the second time they refinished their cabs, so maybe that's part of the reason. The wood just went "Enough!!!" They chose a dark java color, nearly black, and they just look murky and feel weird.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I would paint the room first to see if it tones down the cabinet color.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, we are going to paint the walls first

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/davenporttan

BM's Davenport tan, and see how that goes.
    Thank you all! It is fine, I don't know why I'm being like this!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM's davenport tan

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Just clean them. they look fine.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Oh, I was going to suggest painting the walls, I think the current color doesn't help at all. The cabinets themselves are quite nice, I think, They may look great to you with just the right wall and trim colors.

Is Davenport Tan really as mauve in undertone as it looks on my monitor?

I have read bad reviews of the Rustoleum product. You might want to do a little checking yourself before you try it.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

raee- the current colour is not helping at all, I agree, everything just blends. The Davenport tan doesn't look mauvey over here on the wall sample, it looks taupey next to grey and grey next to brown. It's one darker than what we in the eating area.

any other suggestions to colour? We did have the BM colour designer come, but I'm always open to ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: eating area colour

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And thanks for the heads up on the Rustoleum product. I'm going to try it on some scrap wood that we have left over from our kitchen reno, so if it sucks I can get my $ back without ruining anything.