Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fyrfyter8

White kitchen finished

fyrfyter8
9 years ago

Ive used this forum to get a lot of good info over the last few month refinishing my kitchen. So I figured Ide share my experience to pay it forward. I did the remodel myself, my house is a 1910 bungalow. Attached are some pictures (link to a lot more below) - enjoy! The kitchen was gutted down to studs and a wall removed. I used American Woodmark cabinets from Home Depot. Very happy with the cabinets. I dont think the expense of solid cabinet boxes is worth it; but solid wood fronts is. Countertop is soapstone; which I had factory cut but did the install myself. The 'L' is a solid piece. Cutting & finishing soapstone is easy is you have basic woodoworking skills. Be careful if you are using glass tiles. I found some have the mesh back with dabs of glue that you can see when grouted. Love the GE Cafe range. The vent hood I did a lot of research on. It is a Kobe #RA02. A couple things to consider. This hood is a baffle style (not a mesh screen) So its relativly quiet. Also the hood uses old style knob switches so there is no electronics to go bad. LED lights are nice. I never realized how much heat is put off of the gas range (with the hood off). If you have the space for a hood it is worth it! The cabinets with the microwave are only 12' deep; I really wanted the hood over the range so I sank the microwave into the wall. Next to the microwave, the wall is beetle-kill pine behind the TV. The tin ceiling came from AmericanTinCeilings. LED recessed lights from COSTCO which are cheaper and better than the other big box stores and my local lighting store. The island I built; its maple and walnut with a tilt out garbage can. It's finished with waterlox. A few words about distances between the island and the adjacent counters. In a perfect world yes you would have all the space you need; but my house is 100 years old and I have to work with what Ive got. The island is 35' to the fridge; 39' to the stove; and 39.5 to the sink/DW. This is amble space for two cooks. I still need to trim around the microwave but its pretty much done.

Heres the detailed pics at this link

https://picasaweb.google.com/105346177933371675253/KitchenRemodel?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCOm2gvzoyYyR7AE&feat=directlink

This post was edited by fyrfyter5 on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 20:46

Comments (40)

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more pics

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

island

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

island back with space for stools

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tilt out garbage can

• rosibal
    9 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and unique island! are you planning on installing under cabinet LED lighting?

• Lisa
    9 years ago

Gorgeous island countertop! Love the ceiling too and your classic color combination.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh. My. First, the ceiling! Then, the wood below the tv. Oh, and the tv position. Wait, it's a tie with the island. and tilt-out trash. The floors. All of it, you did a outstanding job! I love it!

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. Congratulations and enjoy!

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is LED strip lighting under the cabinets. There is a pic of the under cabinet lighting in the photo link

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Wow! And wow again. I just looked through all the pictures in your album. That was a tremendous amount of work for one person to do. What a beautiful transformation you achieved. I love everything about your new space. I dont know if I can pick a favorite element. They are all so great.
    I have a friend who wants to redo the kitchen in her 100 year old home. Any chance you want a job?

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

LOVE the ceiling!! So unique and fun!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Just looked at the picture book, the sink backsplash is really cool!

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

What a phenomenal job! Your kitchen is beautiful. You must be loving it. Congratulations on a wonderful transformation!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I love your use of the space, it's such a huge improvement over what you had!! The soapstone and backsplash really bring the entire space to life.

It looks like you rewired the whole house? I sure would have after getting a gander at what was in the walls! Plumbing too? This was a huge job that came out beautifully-way to go!

• flwrs_n_co
    9 years ago

What a beautiful transformation! I love the beetle-kill pine. I have a salad set made out of beetle-kill pine that my mom's neighbor made--I love it because it's so different. Add me to the list of admirers who can't pick a favorite element because it's all so great! I wish you many happy years in your wonderful new kitchen!

• cani
    9 years ago

Love it! I'm impressed that you did so much yourself. I have the same range and it was just installed a few days ago. Glad to hear you love yours.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Beautiful space and I *love* all the elements you used!

• mdln
    9 years ago

WOW, great job. Thank you for sharing.

I especially like how you handled the MW, and your island design esp. trash bin.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Very nice!!! Reveals have been minimal lately and so happy to see yours this morning!!
    Great job and you are very talented as working in an old house is not for the faint hearted as you know.
    LOVE the tile and the ceiling but all of it just very very pretty. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! You've done a great job on everything.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Great job! Impressive that you did a lot of the work. That pine is beautiful in that nook. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

That was a lot of work! Congratulations on being done and having a beautiful, light, functional kitchen. I love your island design and learned something new, never having heard of beetle-kill pine before.

Were you able to re-use the built-in from the dining room wall?

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Love the backsplash/counter combination, well done!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I copied and pasted the direct link to the detailed pictures to make it clickable so I can see them and hopefully others can also.

I LOVE the transformation! I love the cabinet style and hardware chosen! (Is this the reading in the Linen with the 5-piece drawers as I had been looking at that with the 3" wide rails and styles but could not find any pictures?) I love the soapstone counters! I love the backsplash! I love the ceiling. I love the island with the tilt trash can. I love the corner upper cabinet! I love the look without the soffits! What is on the lower cabinet in the corner? I love all the drawers!

Thank you so much for sharing! Who was your kitchen designer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct Link to the detailed pictures

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

P.S. What size height is your ceiling and what size height are your cabinets? Do they have no middle piece inside or does some of them have this? What is the widest cabinet size? I may need to make some of my cabinets less wide to remove the center style. How many shelves are in the tall cabinets?

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Here is an under cabinet lighting picture. Can you tell us more about this lighting as it looks so nice. Brand, temperature color of the bulb, etc.

I love your faucet. Can you share please.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Under cabinet lighting picture

• honorbiltkit
    9 years ago

The kitchen is fabulous.

The phenomenon of your having planned, undertaken hands-on, and so splendidly documented the work is beyond cool.

Kudos. Kudos. Kudos.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Close-up of handles & towel paper showing soft white door color is in the link below so I can see this again when I get my answers. Thank you so much for sharing!

s this the Linen Door Color using the Woodmark Reading door style? I would love to know the size of the handles you chose and which style. Any close-ups?

Who installed the kitchen for you and did you buy the beautiful counters from Home Depot or someone place else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Close-up of handles & towel paper showing soft white

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

"Countertop is soapstone; which I had factory cut but did the install myself." OK, I got my answer to this.

Who installed the cabinets? I want to remove the soffit but keep my same layout.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Love, love, love the island. It is stunning. Love the shape of the legs, the way it sits up off the floor, the trim around the base, the peg-like (?) detail in the corners of the drawers, the top and the natural maple.

• fyrfyter8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

onedogedie - the old built-in cabinet im still struggling to find a spot for it. Its a beautiful piece original to the house. The space where I want to re-build-it-in is a structural wall so it will take a lot of work. Its just sitting in the dining room for now.

lynn2006 - I did the design and install myself. The cabs are American Woodmark Reading Maple in Linen. The uppers are 42" tall. The top shelf is really unusable unless you are on a stool. (My ceilings are 9' tall) They come with 3 movable shelves but you could but in as many an u want. The center divider is dictated by the width of the cabinet; I think 36" or wider has the center divider. The upper cabinet to the right of the stove has a divider; note this cabinet I revered the door swing to make things look a little better (its actually a single cabinet w 2 doors)

Here are the cabinet pulls "Satin Nickel Euro Style Cabinet Bar Pulls #161-128SN" I bought on ebay from CABINET HARDWARE 4 LESS; they are great. Cabinets are 6 5/8" and the drawers are wider.

Under-cabinet lighting I used Warm White 3100K strip LEDs from LEDwholesalers on amazon with a "Dimming Transformer 40watt" also amazon. Its hard wired to a dimmable light switch.

Faucet is Moen 7185CSL

blfenton - The squares in the island drawers are thru pegs made from scraps from the walnut counter top

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

fyrfyter5, thank you for replying to my questions so quickly. I did like the Linen Color that was white but not stark at all. I liked the 3" wide style on the Redding door and seeing it installed with the hardware shows me that I was correct.

I do not want styles in the middle of my doors so some of my 39" wide cabinets I would have to make less wide by having more cabinets. I only have an 8 foot ceiling so I would have to go with the 36" cabinet if I wanted crown molding.

You did a terrific job with the design and the installation! You sure are talented!

The cabinets itself cost about 1/3rd of the labor in 2011. I sure wish I was handy with a handy partner.

You really did a great job! Your kitchen is now beautiful!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great job!!
    Love the island - and what an entertainment center in the kitchen hub!
    Congratulations!!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

You really made an individual room perfectly fitting the character and age of the house. It is a beautiful kitchen. Enjoy.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Definitely an improvement over what you had ... and very "put together" elegance to it.

And the island is the DIVA here ... it's so totally arts and crafts. Were the legs difficult?

• nmjen
    9 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! I love the soapstone counters and the tin ceiling is gorgeous. Great job!

• fldirt
    9 years ago

WOWâ¦.you did a great job & your kitchen is stunning! I love all of it!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I really enjoyed looking at all 122 pictures. Traditional features, some modern, a little arts & crafts and the end result is (trying to think of a new adjective) sooooo lovely. My favorites are the beautiful soapstone & soapstone window ledge, the island & the tin ceiling. And the backsplash & hood style.
    The attic pics made me wonder, what's in my attic? I don't want to know.
    I especially enjoyed the picture of you with your mask of drywall dust.
    Lynn, thanks for the link to the pictures.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Romy718, you are welcome. :)

• Karen
    3 years ago

This kitchen looks very nice but the link to the pictures no longer works. I know it’s been a few years, but I’d love an updated link so I can see all the photos.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022