Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawjedi

buttermilk biscuit recipe: thank you!!!

lawjedi
12 years ago

Not too long ago someone posted their recipe for buttermilk biscuits and I copied it down. Unfortunately I forgot to write down WHO is was from...

I made them tonight - breakfast for dinner.... and was transported back in time. They were exactly like my Nana's biscuits for her biscuits and gravy.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Here is the recipe I used.... looks complicated, but really it was very easy and the biscuits came together very quickly.

Buttermilk biscuits ( adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

Place 2 c AP flour â¨1 Tbsp. baking powder â¨1 tsp. salt â¨1/4 tsp baking soda

pulse till it is blended...few seconds.

Using a large hole grater , grate 5 Tbsp of frozen salted butter on top of the flour. Alternatively cut the butter into 1/4 inch dice and freeze on a plate. Pulse only till it is mixed...few seconds. Better to have tiny pieces of butter . Now pour this into a chilled bowl and add about 1 c very cold buttermilk. Toss lightly till every bit of flour is good and wet. Don't over mix just toss lightly. It may take even more. More is better than not enough. Gently turn the dough out on a well floured countertop. I use my soapstone . Turn your convection bake to 500. Have a flat shiny cookie sheet ready, and spray with Pam. Lightly pat the dough with floured hands till it is 1/2 to 3/4 " thick. Using a well-floured biscuit cutter press firmly straight down to cut the biscuits. DONOT twist the cutter and they won't rise. Reflour before each cut. Take the scraps and push them lightly up next to the other scraps and cut more. Donot overlap them. Smoosh them together from the sides...this is a scientific term:) Place the biscuits on the cookie sheet so they are just touching. Bake at 500 for 12-15 min in the top 1/3 of the oven till nicely golden brown.

Comments (3)