Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Kitchen sink / dishwasher placement

mrspete
11 years ago

Our basic plan:

A 20 x 14.6 kitchen /dining area.

Half this space will be a U-shaped kitchen.

The other half of this space will be a dining area located across a penninsula.

Yes, it's small, but we're also planning a 12x8 pantry, so storage won't be an issue.

What IS an issue is the placement of the sink and dishwasher. I keep playing with various arrangements of cabinets . . . and what I keep coming back to is that if I put the sink in the middle of the U (which is typical), it just doesn't work -- not enough space. But if I use the penninsula as my clean-up area, I have ample space for a nice-sized sink, the dishwasher, and pull-out trash. I'm fine with the sink overlooking the dining area.

My concern: This leaves the "upper portion" of the U -- my prep space -- under the window. From a FUNCTIONAL standpoint, this seems fine. I'd have the trash can right between the prep area and the sink (perfect location). I'd have drawers in the cabinets under the windows, so my knives and cutting boards would be well-placed in the prep area. I'd have the stove on the cabinet to the left of the prep space, which seems convenient. My KitchenAid mixer could go into the corner between the prep space and the stove. And a window to look out into the back yard while chopping or mixing seems pleasant.

BUT, what about the LOOKS? Is it odd to have a "blank run" of cabinets under the window? It'll be a pretty window with an arch. When a kitchen has a window, it seems that the sink is always under that window.

Will this look odd?

Comments (3)